Alabama Moms Make Passionate Plea: Legalize Medical Marijuana Oil

Robert Celt

Three moms, three children suffering from various forms of epilepsy, three different stories trying to share one message:

Legalize medicinal oil derived from marijuana.

In Alabama, that potential law has been dubbed Leni's Law and state Rep. Mike Ball, R-Huntsville, is the bill's sponsor. Sen. Paul Sanford, R-Huntsville, will carry the bill in the Senate.

On Monday, the three moms addressed the Madison County legislative delegation at its annual public forum. Their singular message came from three different vantage points:

• One mom said her child has never had a drop of CBD oil because she was not accepted into the Carly's Law study at UAB.
  • One mom said her child has flourished in receiving the CBD oil in the UAB.
  • One mom said her child had to withdraw from the UAB study, not because of the CBD oil but because of complications from pharmaceutical medications.
Possession of the marijuana oil is illegal in Alabama unless the recipient is protected by Carly's Law.

"Parents need to be able to not worry about whether they are going to jail to try to save our children," said Jodi Mitchell, whose son Robert was forced to leave the UAB study. "There is nothing in this world worse than watching them suffer. We need help. We need y'alls help.

"There is no reason I should have to consider becoming a criminal to help my child because I live in the wrong ZIP code."

Kari Forsyth told legislators that her daughter, Chesney, was not accepted into the UAB study. The family last month visited with Young family in Oregon — where they had relocated from Wetumpka so that their daughter, Leni, could have access to CBD oil.

Leni's improvement while taking the CBD oil is what Ball said drove him to sponsor the bill.

"I've seen a dramatic improvement made with Leni," Forsyth said, accompanied by Chesney. "She can look you in the eyes, she is starting to babble. She has a voice."

Forsyth also told lawmakers she is awaiting approval for a medical marijuana card from Oregon for Chesney.

"If I was to give her the oil now, I would be considered a criminal," she said. "I'm not a criminal. I might speed occasionally but I'm not a criminal.

"Leni and many other kids and people are your proof it works. Please stand with us parents and help us giving the kids of Alabama their best quality of life."

Ball and Sanford teamed in 2014 to pass Carly's Law without dissent in the legislature and it was signed into law by Gov. Robert Bentley. Despite the initial celebration that accompanied the law, Sanford said the law did not meet its intentions — citing the restrictions applied to the study group at UAB by the Federal Drug Administration.

"I want to personally apologize to y'all for not getting the bill to where it could help your daughter," Sanford said. "Carly's Law ended up not what we wanted it to be but it was the best we could do at the time.

"I think you will see Rep. Ball and myself fight to get government out of the way so you can help your children."

Isla Swanson represents the potential for medical marijuana oil, her mother, Jessica, said.

Isla would have up to eight grand mal seizures (loss of consciousness, violent muscle contractions) a day despite taking dozens of pharmaceutical medications, a special diet and surgery for a vagal nerve stimulator.

Now with access to CBD oil, Jessica said her daughter has been seizure-free for more than six months and her pharmaceutical medications have been reduced by 82 percent.

"She is now learning to play like a typical 3 year old, she interacts with us now and is not (oblivious) to the world around her due to seizure interference and high pharmaceutical medicines," Jessica said.

"With that said, Isla shouldn't be part of just a handful of children in a small study to reap those benefits. Those that are able to obtain CBD oil, a medicine, shouldn't have to fear prosecution for trying to save their children's lives."

Kari_Forsyth.jpg

News Moderator: Robert Celt 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Alabama Moms Make Passionate Plea: Legalize Medical Marijuana Oil
Author: Paul Gattis
Photo Credit: Paul Gattis

Back
Top Bottom