AlaskaMack's CFL, Space Bucket, Soil Grow Journal

alaskamack

Bucket Size - 2.5 gallon
Medium - Fox Farm Ocean
Lights - (4) 23w 6500K CFLs, (2) 23w 2700K CFLs, 3528 LED strip side light. 9600 lumens ~140 watts
Nutrients - Fox Farm Trio
Strain(s) - Unknown clone from friend, good smoking bud
# of Plants: 1

This will be my first cannabis grow and it will be occurring in a space bucket in my closet. The space bucket is cooled with an intake and exhaust pc fan and has CFL lighting above with supplemental LED strip side lighting. I am currently on day 3 of my grow after receiving an unknown clone from a friend. I received it in somewhat poor shape with burnt tips and curling fan leaves. Allowed it to adjust to new conditions for a couple days and have begun LST techniques. I plan to heavily LST and top the plant a couple times to maximize bushiness and yield in the limited grow space.

I have watered with plain water once only thus far, and plan to stick to that until the second or third week of growth due to the nutrients in the soil. Once feeding begins I plan to stick to Fox Farm's feed schedule at half strength. pH has been hovering around 6.2 to 7.0. Waiting to get batteries for thermometer and hydrometer to post temps and RH, though I am in Alaska so I am not too worried about heat stress. Running lights on for 18/6 and plan to veg for around 4-5 weeks depending on how much stretch I get.

Photos of the space bucket and plant will follow this post. Feel free to ask any questions about the setup. Comments and tips will be greatly appreciated.

Grow on!
-AlaskaMack

20160117_190425.jpg
20160123_183014.jpg
20160124_101914.jpg
20160125_134356.jpg

I've seen multiple space bucket grows with 2.5 gal pots. Do you think I'll run into problems, or just have to cut the veg period short a bit?

Well for now it's wonderful. I am a 5-10gallon container lover. It all depends on how big ya want her to get. I usually pop from seed.....wait for the fourth true bode and clip the top growth to increase dual or multi colas if I'm growing a single plant.

Sent from my LGL33L using 420

Thanks vermonstah, appreciate the input. Im already limited to height so I am not gonna be able to get her too big and I'm gonna top and possible fim here in the next week or so to try to maximize colas.

Great idea in my opinion. I used to watch my uncle train his to grow sideways along the barn wall's so they would look like tell tale cannabis. Worked great!

Sent from my LGL33L using 420

Here is about 12 hours after first lst. Thinking about letting her go for a bit then topping and LSTing both tops into a circle around the pot topping and FIMing when appropriate. Aiming for a low bushy plant with many bud sites. Would love for anyone to chime in with comments and pointers!

Grow on!
-Alaska Mack

20160126_004234.jpg

Thanks guys! Looking forward to this adventure and excited to see the end result.

Stihl Logger, you actually a logger? My dad was a logger up here in Alaska for about 20 years before the market fell apart. He was a Husky guy though hah.

Just a little photo update. Got some new growth popping up and I'm liking it. Just watered this morning, still no nutes. I think the FFOF was the culprit for burning a few leaf tips. Hoping that resolves itself after a couple good waterings.

20160128_130406.jpg

Right on man. I've done a little tree work, but just utility easemeet clearing. That's what my dad does up here now that there isn't any logging going in locally. He used to contract cut ran his own timbco feller butcher. Where are you logging out of?

Hey guys, I'm getting some browning on some of the fan leaves. Not sure if it's nute burn or what. Can anyone tell what's up? Just watered plain phd water between 6 and 6.5 yesterday. Still haven't added nutes, but I hear ffof can be hot. Think it could be that?

Temp:72° lights off, 83° lights on
RH 38%
pH: right around 6.6
20160129_155936.jpg

Lookin good man! As hard as it might be try not to get too much water on your plant durin lights on. It tends to burn the leaves. Its also best to water first thing shortly after lights on or atleast a couple hours before they go out. :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom