Alaskan Purple In DWC & Super Soil

Here is something on roots grow weed easy
F8DAF505-69D7-44AC-96A7-A0890C18F580.jpeg

Thanks, West Hippie.

This is my first complete grow using these buckets. They have blue-tinted water level tubes. I'm thinking light leak could be an issue. I'm going to cover the bottom half of the water level tubes with black duct tape. I don't need to see down there because I never let the water get that low anyway.

If the elbows at the bottom of the sight tube are black there is no way for light to get in. I've never seen white shit like that before. Does is smell? If it's root rot I would suspect too warm or the bucket already had something in/on that didn't get disinfected before use.

If the elbows at the bottom of the sight tube are black there is no way for light to get in. I've never seen white shit like that before. Does is smell? If it's root rot I would suspect too warm or the bucket already had something in/on that didn't get disinfected before use.
Could be unsanitary buckets, Rifleman. I tried to disinfect them before I re-used them. I remember that night, though, and they may not have been cleaned well (tokin' again).

When I changed out the water today, I gave the buckets a thorough wash with warm water and hydrogen peroxide.

8/23 (24)

Time to flush and feed the 3 DWC plants.

Sensi-Cal 8 ML (2 per gallon)
Micro 8 ML (2 per gallon)
Grow 8 ML
Bloom 8 ML
Hydroguard 4 ML

Used Water PH PPM
Plant #1 5.5 235
Plant #2 5.9 150
Plant #3 5.8 132

New Water
Plant #1 5.8 340
Plant #3 5.8 285
Plant# 3 5.8 285

I have concluded that the main (but maybe not only) problem I was having at the beginning of this grow was heat. (Thanks @Rifleman) It was getting too hot in the tent. We have had a 10-day heat wave with temps in the high 90s. That fact, in combination with my new light was really jacking my water temps and causing the roots to turn dark. This is a first-time experience for my because all my other grows have been during cool weather periods.

Luckily, I have a window air conditioner right next to my tent. So I opened up the side of my tent, turned the air on full blast and slanted the vents to blow inside the tent. Now I have the tent temp around 77-80 degrees Fahrenheit. After about a week, my roots are back to pearly white and looking healthy.

Zombie Update

My so-called Zombie plant is now the biggest of the bunch! It had grown one big leaf where the center node should have grown. About a week or so ago I was examining that leaf and when I touched it, it just fell off. It broke clean right where it grew out of the plant. As a result, the base of the plant has a beautiful Y shape, like it had been perfectly topped. Once that leaf fell off, the growth of the plant exploded. So my Zombie plant turned out to be a “Self-Topping” plant. What a pleasant and unexpected outcome! (I did, however, find another clump of that white stuff in this plant. I just scooped it out. Still don’t know what it is.)

Rusty Leaf Update

The plant that had rusty looking spots developing on its leaves seems to have been cured by the CalMag. Its growth was stunted, though, and it’s the smallest of the bunch. But I’ve seen autos come back big from small starts. So I remain optimistic about this little, but healthy-looking plant.

Soil Plant Update

The soil plant has been the calm during the storm. There’s been none of the drama like with the DWC grows. She just wants properly PH’d water. She’s running a close second to the “Self-Topper” in size.

Fourth Plant Update

I haven’t really had many issues with the 4th Alaskan Purple (other than finding one of those white clumps in the res).

It is very bushy, though, and that started to concern me. So last night, I did a little training on her. I snapped and bent some stems, trying to create some open spaces. I am proud to say that I only needed to use 3 pieces of duct tape to repair those spots where I may have overdone it! She is looking a little beat up right now, but I think she’ll be fine.

Here’s a pic. Rusty Leaf is left rear. Soil is right rear. Self-Topper is front left. Beat up is front right.

Alaskan Purple D24.JPG

8/28 (29)

Pistils starting to emerge.

I'm getting a few rusty looking spots on the soil plant leaves. Not a lot, but a little. Anyone ever used
CalMag as a foliar spray? I'm thinking of doing this. If I do start using it as a foliar spray should I stop putting it in the res?

Alaskan Purple D29.JPG

8/28 (29)

Pistils starting to emerge.

I'm getting a few rusty looking spots on the soil plant leaves. Not a lot, but a little. Anyone ever used
CalMag as a foliar spray? I'm thinking of doing this. If I do start using it as a foliar spray should I stop putting it in the res?

Alaskan Purple D29.JPG
Running behind today , I know yours in soil @InTheShed can fix you up on soil . You are using ro water or tap water on the soil ?

I'm in ProMix now...haven't run soil for a while, but I recall my cal-mag did have mixing instructions on the back for foliar use. It was basically the same dilution for foliar as regular, and I would not stop adding it to my nutes if I was going to spray. I think mixing it with the nute water is the best approach.
Thanks, @InTheShed.

Have you been to @Hyena Merica thread , another great hydro grower . I’m just up to where he’s changing to leds from hps at the moment. I read backwards for six pages and said no and went to the start !
I can’t believe you buy bottle water ,an ro system $150 . InTheShed runs city water . I tried for two water and nutrients changes to use city water, the ppm is 325 plus at times . The ph is 8.3 and hell to adjust! Back on ro water and found out I’m about 80% milky with Amber.

Hey Grand Daddy, if you have any questions I will help you.

Simple questions...I'm not that smart. :nerd-with-glasses:

Keep it up!

Peace, Hyena

9/1 (34)

Time to flush and feed the 3 DWC plants.

I’m adding Terpinator to the mix to help these babies bulk up.

Sensi-Cal 8 ML (2 per gallon)
Micro 8 ML (2 per gallon)
Grow 8 ML
Bloom 8 ML
Terpinator 8 ML
Hydroguard 4 ML

Used Water PH PPM

Plant #1 5.9 117
Plant #2 5.1 170
Plant #3 5.7 170

New Water PH PPM

Plant #1 5.8 340
Plant #2 5.8 380
Plant# 3 5.8 340

I’m not sure when the PH on plant #2 fell out of the zone, but I am sure I need to do a better job of monitoring PH. I was lazy before I started using these nutrients that are supposed to maintain the proper PH, and once I started using them I got a little lazier. Well, I’m not sure the nutrients work as advertised all the time. They seem to have performed well at maintaining proper PH, until they didn’t.

So plant #2 looks kinda funky, like it’s been missing a little something. Most likely some stuff got locked out. I think she’ll be okay and I gave her the highest PPM (380) nutrient blend from today.

Alakan Purple D37.JPG

Not sure about the micro AN nutrients but the Connoisseur with the full line always brought the ph down to 5.45-5.6 . I fought it when the nutrients were fresh and couldn’t get the ph to stay at 5.8 it go straight back to 5.5 the next morning. I would see the rise in about 5 to 7 days later to 5.9-6.0 .
The sensi cal-mag plus has a lot of nitrogen 4-0-0 for flower . I’m using the calimagic 1-0-0 . My MegaCrop has a lot of nitrogen and I get to put the ph where I want it !
If you google ph Perfect there sweet spot is 5.6 ?!.

9/10 (44)

One of my DWC girls keep dropping the PH as low as 5.0. I constantly have to monitor and adjust the PH. The other two stay between 5.8 - 6.2 without any adjustment. This really has me scratching my head.

My soil plant just keeps plugging along. I've noticed that its leaves are a darker green than the DWC leaves.

Anyway, its day 44 and the girls have filled up my 4x4 tent!

Alaskan Purple D44.JPG

Back
Top Bottom