Alaskan Purple In DWC & Super Soil

Hey, fellow growers! The low-tech grower is at it again.

7/31/19 (Day 1)

Alaskan Purple is a 90% indica strain with a THC rating of 15-20 percent. Started germinating 4 seeds on 7/28. This morning, all four popped little babies out. Seeds were germinated in a tote bin using Rapid Rooters and drip feeders. The water was ph’d at 5.8 and was treated with Advance Nutrients Perfect PH Micro, Bloom and Grow @ 1ml per gallon of water.

In a few days, I will move the seedlings. I will grow three using Deep Water Culture in 5 gallon buckets. The other one will be grown using super soil in a 5 gallon fabric pot. The super soil is a mixture of a product called “Super Soil Amendent for Autoflowering Plants” and Fox Farms Happy Frog soil. The super soil stuff smells like poop! This will be my first soil grow and I'm looking forward to see the different outcomes between soil and water grows.

Off and running!

Looking over my first post and realized I left out a little info.

First, these seeds are autoflowers. These babies will be grown in a 4x4x7 foot tent. Right now I'm using an LED that pulls 300 watts. In a few days, though, I'll be picking up a COB Led that pulls 630 watts. (Can't wait!)

8/2 (3)

I moved all plants to their final resting places. Three in 5 gallon DWC and 1 in a soil-filled 5 gallon fabric pot. These babies are so teeny. I love them at this age!

P1020400.JPG P1020401.JPG P1020402.JPG

P1020404.JPG

8/8 (9)

Quick update.

I've noticed 2 things early in this grow.

1) This strain produces some fairly large initial fan leaves. I've only grow a few strains, but these are the biggest leaves I've seen on plants of this size and age.

2) The plants in hydro are out-pacing the one in the soil. Not by much, but they are all slightly larger than the soil plant.

Here's a pic:

P1020407.JPG

I got my new light. It's a "3000" watt Phlizon COB LED (actual pull is 630 watts). I'm pumped. This puppy is bright!

P1020408.JPG

Later!

8/12 (13)

Early Casualty (I think)

It’s still early but I think I’m about to lose one of these plants. Of the four, 3 look great but one looks like it’s some kinda’ zombie hybrid. The leaves are all over the place and the roots look a little yucky, with a brownish tint.

I have no idea what caused this. All these seedlings were treated the same, they germed together and were fed the same stuff. The only cause that I can think of is that maybe I put this plant in a bucket that was not sterile. Or could it be just a bad seed?

For lack of a better strategy, I changed the water (4 gallons), using water ph'd at 5.8 and containing 2ml per gallon of hydroguard and calmag -- no other nutrients.

With autos, if anything major goes wrong during their short life, they usually can’t recover. So I’m thinking that this plant will soon be in the trash.

Here’s comparison pics between the normal plant look and the zombie look.

Any input is welcome. @West Hippie @Rifleman

Normal.JPG Zombie.JPG

Let her grow, she will straighten out. It happens sometimes if there is any damage when they shed the seed husk.
The roots look yucky too. That's why a took out all nutrients for a minute. If the look of the roots doesn't improve, I think trying to save her is a waste of time.

I would add 25% nutrients to those girls . They need more than calmag ! Everything else going good ?
The roots look yucky too. That's why a took out all nutrients for a minute. If the look of the roots doesn't improve, I think trying to save her is a waste of time.

Did the ph go south? Your here to learn how to save that gal . I kept flushing the roots with ro phed water over an empty bucket . I tried the DWC the ph is a pain in the ass . Always had a empty bucket on hand to let the roots dry while I fix the ph or mix fresh nutrients! I got away from AN nutrients and went to MegaCrop and I’m liking it . MegaCrop won’t give me a sweet spot in the ph but I’ll find it . Gonna try dwc again in November!

Did the ph go south? Your here to learn how to save that gal . I kept flushing the roots with ro phed water over an empty bucket . I tried the DWC the ph is a pain in the ass . Always had a empty bucket on hand to let the roots dry while I fix the ph or mix fresh nutrients! I got away from AN nutrients and went to MegaCrop and I’m liking it . MegaCrop won’t give me a sweet spot in the ph but I’ll find it . Gonna try dwc again in November!
The ph was fine, sitting right at 5.9. How long can you leave roots suspended in air without causing damage? That might be what is needed.

The ph was fine, sitting right at 5.9. How long can you leave roots suspended in air without causing damage? That might be what is needed.
Mine spend two hours between the flood and drain! 5.9 was great ! I’d give some nutrients back to it after you do the dry out . I forgot to plug the supply pump in before for 24 hours . Everybody just fell over (second white widow) hooked the plug in and 30 minutes later nearly all had stood up !

Mine spend two hours between the flood and drain! 5.9 was great ! I’d give some nutrients back to it after you do the dry out . I forgot to plug the supply pump in before for 24 hours . Everybody just fell over (second white widow) hooked the plug in and 30 minutes later nearly all had stood up !
I've done that before, but only for a few hours not 24. It's one of the drawbacks of growing weed, getting too high when you're messing with your plants! :thumb:

I would add 25% nutrients to those girls . They need more than calmag ! Everything else going good ?
I added some nutrients. I have some rusty spots on the first set of leaves on one of the other plants. The other 2 look pretty nice.

8/16 (17)

I topped the soil plant and plant #3 today (topped #1 last week and forgot to document it). They had both sprouted a third set of fan leaves and those are the ones I cut off.

Time to flush and feed numbers 1 and 3. Plant #2 continues to look like a zombie and has yucky roots. Not sure what to do with that girl. I will top her off with some of the new blend.

I’m going to start adding Sensi-Cal Mag Xtra to the mix for the other 2 DWC plants. The first set of fan leaves on plant #1 turned rusty looking over the last ten days or so. I removed them today.

Sensi-Cal 8 ML (2 per gallon)
Micro 4 ML (1 per gallon)
Grow 4 ML
Bloom 4 ML
Hydroguard 4 ML

Used Water PH PPM

Plant #1 5.8 131
Plant #3 5.9 155

New Water

Plant #1 5.8 200
Plant #3 5.8 193

The plant in the super soil is coming along well and is now a little bit larger than the DWC grows. She has been very cooperative so far. I just water her periodically.

Here she is:

P1020424 (2).JPG

After Flush (17)

YIKES! In each supply of used water I found a clump of a white paste-like substance. It’s soft and mushy. Anybody know what the hell this crap is! Is it algae? Please advise. @West Hippie @Chris Scorpio @Rifleman

P1020428 (2).JPG

8/16 (17)

I topped the soil plant and plant #3 today (topped #1 last week and forgot to document it). They had both sprouted a third set of fan leaves and those are the ones I cut off.

Time to flush and feed numbers 1 and 3. Plant #2 continues to look like a zombie and has yucky roots. Not sure what to do with that girl. I will top her off with some of the new blend.

I’m going to start adding Sensi-Cal Mag Xtra to the mix for the other 2 DWC plants. The first set of fan leaves on plant #1 turned rusty looking over the last ten days or so. I removed them today.

Sensi-Cal 8 ML (2 per gallon)
Micro 4 ML (1 per gallon)
Grow 4 ML
Bloom 4 ML
Hydroguard 4 ML

Used Water PH PPM

Plant #1 5.8 131
Plant #3 5.9 155

New Water

Plant #1 5.8 200
Plant #3 5.8 193

The plant in the super soil is coming along well and is now a little bit larger than the DWC grows. She has been very cooperative so far. I just water her periodically.

Here she is:

P1020424 (2).JPG

After Flush (17)

YIKES! In each supply of used water I found a clump of a white paste-like substance. It’s soft and mushy. Anybody know what the hell this crap is! Is it algae? Please advise. @West Hippie @Chris Scorpio @Rifleman

P1020428 (2).JPG
Take that pic to frequently asked questions! Is it alive ?

Back
Top Bottom