Alaskan Thunderfuck SOG With 315W CMH

TheFertilizer

Well the temperatures are finally good enough that I can start up my indoor grow. Just got some cuts taken off this monster Alaskan Thunderfuck that I've got growing outdoors.

Very excited to grow this, the plant has been extremely vigorous despite some pretty stressful conditions. I've seen lots of pictures of buds from Van Stank, so hoping it comes out as good as his did.

I decided on a 9x 3 gallon pot SOG setup, trying to restrict it to a 3x3 footprint since that's what the CMH lights up best. I'm still debating whether I want to start them in their final pot or transplant them through intermediate sizes. I took the precaution this time around to clean and bleach all my pots and trays.

So I went and got clones today. I guess I forgot how to count, because I meant to get 20, but anyway, here's 17 cuts waiting to root. I put some Clone-X on the stems and that's about it besides giving the leaves a little hair-cut. My cloner is simply some water with an air stone in it. I generally have really high percentages of success with this method, even if it takes a little longer.

I am thinking that I will take a cut to be a mother plant as well, but I've never really done that before and I don't have very much extra soil or pots., so I'm guessing I will have to make a mother, then half way through clone that into a new pot because it will probably become root-bound.

So here's the abbreviated run-down...

Growspace: Two 4x4 tents

Lights:

Cloning: House-hold LEDs cut open and shoved into a hood.
Early Vegetative: 8x 2ft T5
Late Vegetative/Flowering: 315 W CMH

Nutrients and Suppliments:

General Hydro FloraNova Bloom
GrowMore Hawaiian Bud and Bloom
EarthJuice Bloomin Masters
EarthJuice Catalyst
General Hydro ArmorSi

Strain:

Alaskan Thunderfuck

Soil:

Fox Farms Happy Frog

Pots:

9x 3 gallon + 1 3 gallon for mother

Training/Style:

Sea of Green

So in the meantime while I wait for roots, does anyone have any thoughts or opinions on starting them in the final pot versus smaller pots?

More ATF

In and in
Just wish I had a time machine I could clone these in. Just put the cloner in, dial two weeks later, pop the door open and plant them haha

I'm a little bummed I had to shut down my other little experiment with the bubbler-cloner a little early. I had a single clone of the ATF going DWC style and had reversed it with CS, so was going to try to get pollen, but the timing of things didn't line up anyway.

Still kind of impressed how big this lady got, considering she was only ever lit with some household LEDs and started off in 12/12 as a clone right away. I think I got the beast pheno with this cut.

But at least I know my home-made colloidal silver is working. Right now I am thinking that I should try to reverse one of the buds on the outdoor mother I've still got going, and hope it sheds pollen quickly enough to pollinate itself and some of the surrounding plants, and also give me some pollen to selectively pollinate these ones.

I might also just reverse one of the clones, though that will get trickier since I'm going to be trying to keep a mother space and have to put it into 12/12 two weeks before the others in order for it to be shedding pollen while they're receptive.

Timing feminized pollen is tricky, and I'm really just trying to come out with a real good crop this time, so I might not focus too much on that, but some feminized seeds of this would be great.

Anyway, lots to think and ponder about while these things root. Hurry up! :drool:

Well unfortunately I don't think I really got these in time before they started flowering, and I think they're kind of eating themselves a live trying to feed themselves. I am just now starting to see some barnacle like growth on the stems, so I think within a day or two I should have roots. I am not sure if I should wait and stick it out in plain water, or make a mild nutrient bath. Either way they're not looking so great, and I'm not sure all will root at the same time. The donor plant also isn't looking awfully healthy, so yeah I may end up doing a mixed strain grow, all depending.

Certainly not looking any better, and other much more signs of rooting. They're so beat up now that I am not sure they will begin normal growth very quickly even if they do root. So I am deciding to scrap them and plant some feminized seeds in my pots instead. Will update when I decide which strains to plant, and maybe wait until I actually have all sprouted haha

Well I see one sprouted a root this morning. This cloner usually takes about 10-15 days so I am betting they will still root, just not sure how long it will take them to reveg and start growing well. Plus they may monster crops which wouldn't be suitable for SOG.

Still I would like to keep this cut. Of the seeds I planted, it definitely had exceptional vigor. I think I will try to take one of these cuts as a mother plant and try again for next cycle, and just plant some feminized seeds for now. Probably do a short veg.

I have some interesting choices, all of only locally available genetics, so I am not sure which I want to use up, especially since I am no longer in touch with the breeders.

Blackberry Kush S2 x5

Khione (Scott's OG x Permafrost) x5

Permafrost x 1 of 4 x 4
(Could be x American Pie, White Widow, Gorilla Dog 1 or 2 or Permafrost)

White Widow 1 of 4 x 6
(Same potential list of fathers)

Also have a few single seeds like Black D.O.G. and some Ghost Train Haze bagseed, but I don't want too random a crop.

I use to have a list of all these and whether they were indica or sativa dominant, weeks they take to finish, but since most of these are unknown crosses I'll just have to play it by ear anyway.

My gut tells me I will probably be better off this way then trying to run these clones.

Well I think I may give it another few days to see what happens as I have seen a lot more signs of roots taking today.

But the clones are still pretty yellow, and will have to reveg.

So I'm still not sure which direction to take it. I know that seedlings will need about two weeks to get to the size and hardiness of the clones, but on the other hand the clones could take 2-4 weeks to reveg and recover before they start growing.

Both options kind of screw the pooch as far as SOG growing goes. Seeds will not have the uniformity, and the clones will more than likely monster crops and branch off in weird ways.

In any case I have got the pots setup. I decided to go from solo cup sized pots to 3 gallon pots with no intimacy between since the goal here is short and squat plants with a short veg time. The bucket irrigator can be used for automatic watering, but I will be using it just to make it easier and will water one by one, or maybe one row at a time.

Well I got 6 planted so far, more to come tomorrow. They look a lot perkier now so I'm just going to go ahead and continue with the clones. I'm not sure why they were so hurt looking before, it was pretty cold and the cloning solution didn't have any nutrients for a while, who knows.

Lettin the roots get about this big. Also sprinking Asoz and Mykos on them, but didn't wanna get pictures of those.

Four more should be ready tomorrow or the next day.

Got little spot-savers in my other pots.

Now just gotta get wait for these to recover a little. They're in pretty rough shape but they're nice and perky so I'm sure they'll recover. Hopefully it will be worth the extra wait to use clones instead of seeds.

Planted the rest today. There's 9 in clear cups sleeved with blue cups that I want to put into the big pots, and then another one that I hope to use as a mother. The other three I just planted as backup in case something goes wrong with these ones. Out of all the clones, 4 didn't make any roots by now and one was trying to. Well as Meatloaf would say, 13 out of 17 ain't bad.

I'm just a little worried about why the leaves went yellow. I think it has something to do with the fact that they were already flowering and that they were pulling nutrients out of the old leaves to keep the little buds alive. They definitely improved (not so much in color ) after I gave them a mild nutrient bath to soak in.

I decided to give them a 200 ppm solution of Flora Nova Bloom and ArmorSi and drenched the solo cup pots in that. I also sprinkled Asos and Mykos on the root hairs so they should have extra nitrogen and phosphate fixing capability. Happy Frog isn't a super rich soil so I am hoping that between the 200ppm of nutrient solution and what's already in the soil they'll have plenty to eat.

I'll probably go in and mist them periodically, but I'm going to leave the humidity dome off for now I think since I'd only be able to keep it on the 9 up front. I'm still not sure what my temperatures are so I might throw it on to keep them a little warmer if need be, but for now I'm trying to keep the light right up nice and close.

I have a feeling it's going to be a little while before they reveg and start growing well. I guess it's not such a bad trade off since I'm waiting for it to get colder outside to run the 315 W since I don't want to have to run the AC and it at the same time.

Hey Fert.....I am in brother!!

Yeah they are going to stall on you for a bit.....can take up to a month for them to outgrow the flower and fully reveg. They will probably go monster crop on you though so just be prepared for that.

Its very normal for the leaves to yellow as they start rooting. That color won't come back but you can cut them off once it starts throwing out new growth.

Hey Fert.....I am in brother!!

Yeah they are going to stall on you for a bit.....can take up to a month for them to outgrow the flower and fully reveg. They will probably go monster crop on you though so just be prepared for that.

Its very normal for the leaves to yellow as they start rooting. That color won't come back but you can cut them off once it starts throwing out new growth.
Yeah I was worried about trying to run them SOG if they monster crop on me, but I figure I can just prune off branches to make them more manageable if it does happen. Just sad that it will delay me by that amount. This phenotype is looking very heavily sativa influenced so I'm thinking it's going to have a pretty long flowering time, especially reading up on all the other people who have ran more indica-looking ones so far.

So far they're rooting into the solo cups pretty good. How far down the roots are may be a little deceiving though as I planted some stems deeper than others, and some stems had roots further up on the stems. I basically planted them all so that the tops would be at the same level, whereas some of the stems are way down near the bottom of the cups in order to do that.

I'm also really surprised how much heat my T5 is putting on them. Had to raise it up a little bit.

The mother ATF is looking kind of messed up, I think it might have been getting too much water since it was being watered 2x every day to compensate for that desert heat, but the watering schedule wasn't weaned down once temperatures dropped. I advised to let it dry out for about a week before watering again. Thinking it's looking about dry enough but hopefully it didn't get too much root damage. I'm not sure if the yellowing is just natural, but my Bangi Haze is doing it as well and they're the largest two plants in the outdoor garden. But both are pretty close to landrace too so I don't know to think of it as natural, because the other smaller plants in the garden aren't showing problems. I'm worried the deeper roots were kept wet too long and have suffered some damage.

Didn't even notice this journal until a couple minutes ago. I think that plant will make a come back. :thumb:
Yeah I been kind of keeping a lid on it until I actually had viable clones lol

Yeah she's quite the vigorous specimen, I didn't want to wait through the reveg but she's probably worth it to hold on to the genetics.

Hello mr.Fertilizer nice to meet ya.......
Hey! Nice to meet you too, how's it growin'? :bongrip:

Got them planted into the 3 gallon pots and under the CMH today. They're a little small to go right into 3 gallon pots I think, so I'm going to be careful with how much water I give them. But I won't really mind if they don't get huge since I'm trying to get them small-to-medium size for the SOG.

I've got the pots kind of off-set up into a 3x3 space in the corner of the tent. What I'm trying to achieve is to take advantage of the light in a 3x3 footprint instead of a 4x4, but without getting a new tent. The dead space on each of the two sides of the pot probably means that I am not getting the same light intensity as I would inside a 3x3, but since the pots are so up close to the other two sides of mylar, I figure I'm getting at least 50% of the intensity improvement I'd see from dropping tent size.

I've got them propped up on these little trays so that they're not sitting in their own run-off. I'm not really sure how beneficial that really is, but most of my grows in the past I just let them sit in their run-off for a while and I think it hasn't done me any real favors. Only problem is that without the pot of soil sitting in them to wick moisture, the water sits in the run-off trays for quite a while before evaporating. I bought a little siphon pump so that I can drain them before watering if they haven't evaporated already.

So yeah, all ready to rock. The 4 little ones to the side I'm just keeping as spares and want to use one as a mother. I'm also thinking about keeping two of them to try to reverse with colloidal silver and make feminized seeds with, but I've never really timed that out very well. Still I can just kind of leave them sitting by the side so it may be worth it.

Well, hopefully the wait for them to reveg and continue growth won't be too long. On the plus side, I think the delay in vegetative growth should mean that they all have more time to develop a root system, so hopefully none of them grows at a faster pace than the others due to the different size in root systems that exist now.

Hold off on any automated watering until they are growing good. I have one that's been revegging for over a month. You don't want to over water them. Their roots don't get big during reveg based off the ones I have done. I do them in clear cups to watch the roots and all have been very slow until they finally explode. Then it's like a freak show!

Hold off on any automated watering until they are growing good. I have one that's been revegging for over a month. You don't want to over water them. Their roots don't get big during reveg based off the ones I have done. I do them in clear cups to watch the roots and all have been very slow until they finally explode. Then it's like a freak show!

Yeah no automation yet, just helps my back. Doctor thinks I have a herniated disc, so even bending over a little to water that back row is a pain. I did probably over-water the pots for plants that size, but I just turned it on manually and watered them to run off.

Right now I'm a little concerned because I'm seeing some interesting colors. The leaves that had been yellow are turning purple, and some of the green ones look like they're getting rust spots like calcium defeciency, as well as some other brown spots where it looks like the leaf has also shrunken in around the brown spot. I think when I gave them the 200 ppm solution of FN in the solo cups they probably weren't taking in nutrients from the soil, but now that they are they're getting a little burnt. Some of the tips look a wee singed. I'll try to grab some pictures.

But they've been rooting pretty fast. They hardly even looked bothered going from the solo cups to the 3 gallon pots, their leaves stayed real perky. I also had clear cups and they seemed to root about as fast as most other strains I've grown so that's encouraging. Right now it just seems like their color is off.

I'm just gonna take it slow and steady, give them plain water from now on. I didn't really want to give them that 200 ppm solution but they seemed like they were eating themselves alive.

Back
Top Bottom