Alaskan Thunderfuck SOG With 315W CMH

Anyways today is officially 13 weeks of flower! This strain is very interesting, it was much faster out doors.

13 weeks huh......wow, thats the longest I think anyone has gone with our ATF. Those are some gorgeous buds you got there man! I am not sure what to tell you. I guess I would say if you like them on the speedier side, chop now. If you like a more sedative effect, let it go a bit longer. How solid are the nugs?

13 weeks huh......wow, thats the longest I think anyone has gone with our ATF. Those are some gorgeous buds you got there man! I am not sure what to tell you. I guess I would say if you like them on the speedier side, chop now. If you like a more sedative effect, let it go a bit longer. How solid are the nugs?

Yeah I think it may have been a little too long, for some nanners and foxtailing...

I think I was waiting too much for the trichomes to get cloudier. I started seeing more amber and fewer totally clear, so I suspect trichomes are ready once there's any level of cloudiness. A few seemed to get more opaque, but judging from what this plant did, I would have just kept producing new foxtails.

They're a little fluffy feeling right now, but maybe just because they're still wet. Here is that big cola I had after 3 days drying.

So I decided that seeing nanners and so many foxtails was a food indication they were a little more ready than I thought, but oddly I didn't see many amber trichomes.

This cut seems to have a lot of sativa traits. I have heard of a lot of sativa that never really goes amber and will just keep throwing out new pistills and foxtails for 16+ weeks. Plus everything else about it was super sativa like. I'm thinking it's probably closer to the North American Sativa side of the lineage, but on the other hand it finished way faster outdoors.

I think maybe the dwindling daylight hours probably made it act with the fast flowering traits of its other parents, but indoor on a constant flowering schedule, it can be taken out way longer.

Anyway theory aside, they're fucking gorgeous and bursting with trichomes. I am using a dryer box with a humidistat this time, it's keeping their drying environment at about 60-65% RH. My hope was that it would extend my dry time, because usually the stuff I hang gets dry in two or three days and I feel the bud loses a lot of flavor and aroma like that.

Right now they've been drying 3 days and the stems are just barely "snapping", but with no fibrous break just like they're dry enough to make a solid snap.

I think tomorrow I will put them all in a big bag, and put the humidistat probe in with it and monitor it closely until it holds 62% and jar it up with some boveda packs.

Here is the drying setup... Couldn't fit all in at once so doing a staggered harvest.

What's left to cut down...

Harvest going slow. Ended up in the hospital overnight thanks to this vomiting shit. My potassium got so depleted they had to give me drugs to bring my heart rate down. Walked into the E.R. at something like 180-190 bpm and 190/150 blood pressure. Doesn't help that I've had one heck of a chest cold all winter.

So far I've got three jars of big dense nugs, and a huge paper bag full of larfier stuff that still needs trimmed. I'm guessing it will account for another 2-3 jars, so I'm guessing I'll have somewhere around 8-10 ozs. I'll come back with good pics and weights for the curious.

For now I'm just recovering, taking it slow, trying to stay hydrated. I need to make some more bubblehash. Seems to be the only thing that really stops the vomiting.

Ok I got a rough weight, ~9 oz of smokeable bud. I have about another 1/2-1 oz of stuff I didn't feel like trimming anymore I added to the hash pile, which is probably about two or three ounces in all.

Really need to make that bubble hash but so wore out!

Been a really great harvest. Love this cut. I will be trying to carry it on with this as a donor.

Well I have cuts in the cloner. Thinking maybe I will start a different journal for this run, but waiting to see what roots. Couldn't get the nicest cuts due to the condition of the mother.

Got all the pots empty, and amended it all with a cup of Seabird Guano and Kelp Meal for the next run with it.

This cut always seemed pretty calcium needy so I figured the Guano would help, and the kelp meal I am hoping will just give it a nice general recharge.

I am still going to be running Flora Nova and Bloomin Master, and I think between the two of them I didn't use much of the nutrients in the soil the first run so that's why I kept the amendment so light.

Mainly concerned about the lack of calcium, and figure the kelp meal will be good for the soil life. I was using EJ's "catalyst" the whole time, which is watered down microbes in a bottle with some barley and molasses. It works quite well to keep the soil life alive despite the salt nutrients, but the kelp should give them a little more to munch on.

I will be trying to flip it to 12/12 much sooner to get a second whack at that SOG. Plus since this has such a long flower time, they will be finishing up about the time I will need to be shutting down for the heat.

I do not think planting straight into 100% vermicompost was smart. The mother seems to be ailing badly. Also, the pot which I had her set up on, draining into, smelled very weird. Like oysters or the river where you'd shell for them. So I tossed that pot, not sure if I was growing something bad in it by letting the runoff fester in it.

I fear I spoiled the vermicompost somehow; last time I tried to stir it, it smelled like a sulfur pit. I am hesitant to use it again, but not sure I should blame it.

The mom could just be root bound. I was thinking this VC looked pretty good, especially since it was sprouting seedlings of something in it while it was in the plastic tote, outside in fall temperatures. Seemed to support life pretty well, and the mother plant seemed happy in it up until recently. There are roots coming out the bottom of the pot, so I think that points more towards root bind.

Either way the VC is outside and frozen solid by now, so couldn't grab any today. Just recycled/reamended the Happy Frog I had minus a pot's worth. Hopefully my amendments help rather than hurt.

I am thinking for the 9th pot maybe I could do something experimental like a hempy or Coco, but I really wanted to do the SOG thing so having a plant growing at different rate wouldn't jive with that.

On the other hand, SOG might just be robbing me of more yield with only 9 pots and considering how much I yielded off them with them being 3 ft +.

My hope is that if I keep them short, they will be able to support themselves easier, and form single large colas of ~1oz. I am going to be a little more conservative and guess I will probably only get .5 each, but I am also trading that off with cutting out the veg time in order to be done by time time it warms up

Anyway I am taking it one step at a time for now. Gotta get roots.

Made some CCO with the left overs from hash last night.

Sue's pressure cooker method:

I make bubble hash but generally can't run the trim more than twice. This leaves a lot of trichomes and usually I make butter, but I wanted to make something more versatile. I wanted something that could be topical, ingested, or used sublingually.

Coconut oil seemed most ideal to match all the criteria. It was also much higher in fat content than any other oil I could get my hands on, which I wanted to be able to absorb more from the trim. I was even fortunate enough to find the liquid version, which should make sublingual dosing easier.

I store the trim in the freezer without drying. I freeze it immediately to prevent any mold growth, and with butter I usually just put it in melted butter and let the water separate.

For this method I was pretty sure I needed very dry bud. Oil and water don't mix, so any wet portion won't allow the oil to saturate. So I had to decarb in the oven just long enough to get it bone dry.

Everything else is pretty self-explanatory and following Sue's method, though I am not sure about the ratio I used. I didn't necessarily want to get everything from the trim, but I wanted the oil to absorb as much as it could in a smaller volume to be maximum potency. I figure I can thin it out later if it's too strong.

Got a couple of roots on one of these cones. This cut will go on! I'll probably put it in a solo cup tomorrow and set it aside to be a new mom. It's got a long road ahead of it.

The current mother is ailing pretty bad due to being root bound. I'm not really sure what else to do for it, I don't want to waste soil/pots/space to transplant it, so I'm hoping to just carry on with one of the clones.

I couldn't get a whole lot of consistency in the sizes/vitality of the clones, so they're pretty odd-balled. Wouldn't have thought the one that rooted first would have been the first... They always surprise me though. Those small branches seem to root the quickest for me all the time.

In any case, I had my doubts about the clones I had taken at the start of this journal, so I'm just patiently waiting. I expect more to root by Friday. This cloner tends to take about 10-14 days to root cuts of this strain from what I've experienced so far.

About three weeks into my cure on the last harvest. Still trying not to touch them before the 4th week, but who can resist sampling? But seriously though I figured it would be a good idea to unpack and reseal them, just to discourage any mold growth. (Good excuse right?) Well, decided it'd be a good time to take those better pictures I had mentioned.

Ugh... Russets. I won the last battle, but the war is not over. It's never over.

Time to break out the neem. Tossed the mom... IPM 101: Don't keep sick plants. Only got 4/20 clones rooted off her... Hey didn't notice that before 420! Anyway, took a few more, dunked them in a neem bath. The first 4 are rooted, noticed the russets on them first. Not happy because there will be a two-week delay between the first 4 and however many root of the 6 I took.

I might pop some seeds instead. The cuts that I took are very, very small. I'm pretty sure that two weeks of cloning, they will come out just as big as two weeks from seedling, so I wouldn't necessarily be imposing too much extra time. I'm still going to allow these to root though, because I'm determined not to lose this cut.

Broke into the jars, finally got a 4 week cure. This stuff is AMAZING grown indoors. Kinda hard to smoke my summer harvest since it's far less appealing visually. First time I think I've been that spoiled.

Are you noticing any difference in the effects from indoors vs outdoors? What about smell or taste?
Outdoor:
Smelled fruity and sweet
Tasted earthy/hashy and a little sweet
Very cerebral and uplifted high all the way through

Indoor
Smelled more like hash and pine than fruity but still a little sweet undertone
Very strong hints of vanilla and hash, more savory than sweet
Extremely uplifting and energetic on the onset, levels out into a good body buzz and then settles into a very sedative effect

But I flowered the indoor stuff a lot longer than the outdoor, and by the time the outdoor was plucked it had not been in the best environment so I'm not sure how fair the comparison is. The indoor stuff had WAY higher trichome production, probably because it was in the 50-60F range all through late flower. A few nugs in the grinder has shed a few bowl-toppings of kief that's basically half-melt hash. I made bubblehash with the trim, and after two runs made tincture with what was left over and that stuff is very interesting... I dose it sublingually and it makes my head feel kinda fuzzy, like the way people describe Headband.

Back
Top Bottom