All About Terpene Supplements: Holy Grail Thread Spin-off

I found this.

DurbanPoisonLab-pdf.jpg

DILLY, DILLY, CANYON!

You've saved me some embarrassment! According to this data True Terpenes is probably on track, or at least closer than I gave them credit for, with their mix. Kinda shakes my confidence in steep hill Labs now. I always held them as golden. In the words of a wise gentleman among us "I never know!"

Thanx

The Durban is supposed to be a pure sativa landrace. Strains from different suppliers can vary. Sometimes a breeder will cross in some Indica to improve yield or shorten the flower time. I even bought a Durbin clone that was labeled 80/20 Sativa.

I have a rather good report with the staff at the Albuquerque Steep Hill lab. I keep bringing in strange samples and it breaks up a monotonous day. Most of them are personal growers. If I have flowers tested, I try to drop off samples that are 4 or 5 grams more than they need. They use it for training and calibration.

A while back we were talking about terpene suppliers. They brought up most of your concerns in a rather short conversation, mostly 'buyer be ware'. I will check, but I think one of them recommended True Terpene. I am planning a trip next week. If it gets pushed out I will give them a call.

Subbed. Let me get to reading, after I finish catching up at the Holy Grail thread. :cheesygrinsmiley:

DILLY, DILLY, CANYON!

You've saved me some embarrassment! According to this data True Terpenes is probably on track, or at least closer than I gave them credit for, with their mix. Kinda shakes my confidence in steep hill Labs now. I always held them as golden. In the words of a wise gentleman among us "I never know!"

Thanx

Terpene and cannabinoid profiles have always been strongly influenced by the talents of the cultivator. It's disconcerting that Leafly has such a huge discrepancy from the norm, but then their overall reputation for accuracy is constantly called into question.

I wouldn't lay it at Steep Hill's feet, although it might be nice to let them know they're looking bad here. Canyon, next time you're there you might mention it to them. :battingeyelashes:

Ok....I'm really intrigued. I'm ready to track down these chemovar-specific terpene mixes. This is just too exciting. :laughtwo: :slide:

Another point, you are going to find tests that are from plants that don't match up to there named strain. I think you found one. There are several ways it can happen as well as several reasons. Sometimes it is too easy to lay it on a lab.
Don't forget about phenotype variation especially within a landrace strain. Depending on how a breeder is producing their seeds (inbreeding vs back-breeding, etc), this expression can be extreme.

Some general info from a terpene seller:

How do I use your terpenes and/or natural flavorings with my cannabis concentrate products?

Our food-grade terpenes are very soluble in cannabis concentrates, especially refined oil. We recommend applying light heat (just enough to allow the concentrate to absorb the terpenes) and mixing thoroughly for a few minutes. That's it!

How much should I use?

We recommend starting with a 3% concentration of cannabis terpenes and then increasing in 0.5% or 1% increments up to 6% by weight depending on personal preference. Because our food-grade terpenes are less viscous than water, 1ml of terpenes equals approximately .85 grams. 1 drop of terpenes using the supplied plastic pippettes is approximately .02ml or .017 grams.

Are there any storage requirements and what's the shelf life?

We recommend that our cannabis terpenes be kept at room temperature or lower away from any excess light or heat. For long term storage, we recommend refrigeration. Our food-grade terpenes have an approximate shelf life of 6-12 months.

Are there any additives or fillers in your cannabis terpenes or natural flavors?

Absolutely not! True Blue cannabis terpenes are made with pure, food-grade terpenoids and natural flavors only!

Are cannabis terpenes safe to consume? [note they don't use cannabis]

Terpenes are widely used in the food and fragrance industry, and recognized as safe for consumption although we do not recommend exceeding 8% concentration as it may produce undesirable effects at very high levels. Please consult your physician for any medical related advice.

Do your cannabis terpenes contain any THC, CBD or CBN?

No.

Are your terpene blends made with cannabis?

No, our terpene blends are formulated using the highest quality, food-grade terpenes isolated from natural sources.

More mined information not an endorsement for this or any other company or product.

Terpenes

True Blue is a leading provider of food-grade terpenes online for both personal and wholesale use. Unlike cheap alternatives, our terpenes and natural flavoring have no fillers or additives of any kind. They are made with pure, food-grade terpenoids and natural flavors that are isolated from natural sources - that’s the True Blue difference. Our terpenes contain no THC or CBD and are not extracted from cannabis plants. This allows you to reap the medicinal benefits and flavor of your favorite terpenes without additional psychoactive effects, and makes it a cinch to buy terpenes online.

Terpenes are naturally occurring organic compounds found mainly in plant life. Terpenes are the chief component of essential oils, and help to build flavor and aroma. They are used in everything from aromatherapy to perfumery to modern and alternative medicine. While terpenes are most often associated with cannabis (we’ll touch more on this later), they occur in high concentrations in conifer trees, and many aromatic flowers, herbs, and fruits. Some insects even product terpenoids, such as termites and some butterflies. Terpenes aren’t just for our benefit, though. In nature, terpenes act as a defense mechanism by emitting a strong odor, warning predators that a specific plant or insect might be poisonous, even if it is not.

What Are Terpenes Used For?

So if terpenes occur naturally in marijuana plants, why do people add them to their cannabis concentrates? Terpenes are at their strongest before a marijuana plant is cut, harvested, dried, and cured. These steps all diminish the power of the terpenes in terms of flavor, aroma, and effect.

Terpenes, when consumed either through inhalation or are ingested, interact with the cannabinoid receptors in your brain, just like THC or CBD does. While terpenes alone won’t get you high, they can assist the cannabinoids to help increase the effects of marijuana. Terpenes can also affect the production of certain hormones and chemicals that are responsible for mood. Scientists believe this is why certain cannabis strains have different effects and sensations. Even if the level of THC is the same in two different strains, the high might feel different and it might affect your mood differently. For example, one strain might make you feel a fuzzy head high and sedated, while another might give you an ethereal body high with an elevated mood. Terpenes are especially beneficial for those looking to get medicinal benefits from their cannabis products. Understanding different types of terpenes and what their effects are can help you choose the right cannabis strain for your needs.

Continue reading to learn more about the five most common terpenes found in marijuana.

Common Terpenes Found In Cannabis Plants

There are tens of thousands of terpenes that occur naturally throughout the plant and animal world. However, cannabis plants have some of the most complex and abundant terpenes, with over 200 terpenes found in cannabis alone. However, of those 200 terpenes, the cannabis products that often go to your local dispensary usually only contain about 10 or so in detectable levels. Below, we’ve outlined the five most common cannabis terpenes you should be aware of. Understanding not only the flavors and aromas, but also the effects, can help you make a better decision when it comes to choosing your next strain.

Pinene - The terpene pinene is distinguishable from its scent alone. As its name suggests, this terpene smells a lot like pine trees. In fact, pinene is one of the most abundant terpenes in pine needles, conifers, and familiar flavors such as rosemary, dill, and basil. It is also found in orange peels and the rinds of other citrus fruits. Pinene is known to have mental effects such as better short-term memory and alertness, as well as physical benefits such as anti-inflammatory properties and is believed to help with asthma. Strains known to be high in pinene include a fan-favorite, Jack Herer, and Trainwreck.

Myrcene: Myrcene is believed to be the most abundant terpene among cannabis plants, and most strains test high for an abundance of myrcene, especially in indica strains. Myrcene has been shown to have sedating, relaxing effects, and can also heighten the effects of THC. This terpene is believed to be one of the causes for the super-stoned high you might get from an indica-heavy strain. Myrcene has an overwhelmingly musky aroma, with hints of spices like cloves, earthy scents, and fruity flavors. Myrcene is also found in heavily in mangoes, bay leaves, and thyme. For a sedating, myrcene heavy strain, try Blue Dream, Granddaddy Purple, or Green Crack.

Limonene: This marijuana terpene, unsurprisingly, has a very recognizable citrus aroma and flavor. Limonene has a beneficial mood-boosting effect such as working like a stress-relieving antidepressant. It also is believed to have antifungal and antibacterial properties, and when used topically, can help the absorption of other terpenes and chemicals. You can probably guess that the limonene terpene is found in citrus fruits, but it is also found in peppermint and juniper. You don’t need to look any further than your favorite citrusy-sweet strains to find one that is heavy in limonene. Try out our Sour Diesel, Tangie, or Super Lemon Haze terpenes.

Linalool: The linalool terpene has a sweet, floral aroma with just a hint of spicy warmth. Linalool has a calming, sedating effect, and is also used medicinally to help with proper motor function in people with epilepsy. Linalool is popular with cannabis users looking to treat insomnia, stress, anxiety, and even pain, tremors, or convulsions. This terpene is found in an array of different flowers, including lavender and laurel, and is also found in some citrus fruits, birchwood, and rosewood. For a relaxing, linalool heavy strain, opt for Skywalker OG or any strain that smells like lavender.

Caryophyllene: This terpene is most often associated with hops used in brewing your favorite craft beers. Knowing this, it might not come as a surprise that caryophyllene is a pungent, peppery, and spicy terpene. Along with hops, it is also found in black pepper, cloves, cinnamon, basil, and rosemary. Caryophyllene doesn’t have the same proven mental effects that other terpenes have, but is believed to help with anxiety and depression, and can be used medically as an anti-inflammatory element or for pain relief. For a spicy caryophyllene terpene heavy strain, try Girl Scout Cookies or Northern Lights.

The Entourage Effect

The Entourage Effect is a synergistic phenomenon achieved when marijuana is consumed as a “whole plant.” Before you go pick a bud off your plant and pop it in your mouth like a grape, “whole plant” isn’t meant to be a literal statement. Essentially, it means consuming cannabis in a way that protects the integrity of both the cannabinoids (such as THC or CBD) and the terpenoids. The combination of cannabinoids and terpenoids creates a result that is greater than the sum of their separate effects.

Let’s go back a couple of decades to the 1960s when marijuana was used for medicinal purposes such as loss of appetite and pain relief. By that point, morphine had already been isolated from opium poppies and cocaine had been isolated from coca leaves, both of which were, or had been, used medically. However, nothing had been isolated from cannabis, yet smoking the plant had been shown to have real medical benefits. A young scientist named Raphael Mechoulam was extremely interested in this, and spent years researching the active ingredients in marijuana. He came to the conclusion that THC was responsible for the psychoactive effects and, he believed, the medical benefits of marijuana. He noticed, though, that there were other cannabinoids in the plant, and found a way to isolate them from one another.

Although Mechoulam isolated THC for medical purposes, he soon began to realize that cannabinoids work best when they are together, rather than by themselves. Later on, synthetic isolated THC, mostly known by the name Marinol, became available for medicinal use. However, Marinol, while still used today, is often described as having too strong of psychoactive and intoxicating effects for medical use. For this reason, many medical marijuana users prefer to use “whole plant” options that contain multiple cannabinoids, as well as terpenes. These cannabinoids and terpenes balance each other out and become more effective to create the desired results. Mechoulam is believed to be responsible for naming this phenomenon The Entourage Effect.

Terpene Advice

When shopping for cannabis products, don’t just look at THC content. Sometimes you’ll get a more desirable high from a killer terp blend than a high THC percentage. If you’ve read all about the benefits of a particular strain and are disappointed when you try it, it might need a terpene boost. Or if you can’t find your favorite strain at your dispensary, adding strain-specific terpenes can mimic the effects you’re looking for.

Terpenes are great for all cannabis consumers, but especially those who use low-THC, high-CBD strains for medicinal use. Terpenes can heighten the healing effects of your high-CBD strains that might be lost throughout the life of the harvested cannabis. Whether you use medical cannabis for pain management, to lower anxiety, or anything in between, there are terpenes that can boost these benefits.

Know what’s in your cannabis. It’s not a secret that taking a marijuana plant and turning it into a concentrate or dried flower robs it of terpene-power. Concentrate producers know that a product devoid of terpenes isn’t going to be as good, and they sometimes spike their products with aftermarket terpenes. While we suggest adding terpenes to your concentrates, when you choose True Blue, you know you are getting natural, high-quality terpenes that are safe to consume. You don’t know what brand of terpenes might be added to your concentrate, and not all bottled terps are natural and devoid of fillers and harmful additives. Shop smart and be sure you are getting a food-grade product.

Safely Use Weed Flavor Drops And Food-Grade Terpenes In Your Cannabis Products

Many people are confused about how to use our natural weed flavoring drops and terps. It’s easy to find information about the benefits of terpenes, but how do you get those benefits? Our terpenes are made without any fillers, propylene glycol, or other controversial carrier ingredients found in many cheap terps. Our terpenes are designed to help replicate or enhance the flavor of your favorite strains, as well as the medicinal and mental effects.

It is important to remember that terpenes are potent - like, really potent. Remember, this isn’t exclusive to cannabis-strain terpenes. Terpenes are a type of essential oil, and like most essential oils, they need to be diluted in order to use safely. Terpenes and essential oils should never be directly consumed, applied to the skin, or inhaled before being diluted.

Terpenes can safely be diluted in diffusers, topical lotions, concentrates, edibles, among other cannabis consumption methods. True Blue Terpenes recommends starting at about a 3% concentration, and slowly working your way up in .5-1% increments. We don’t recommend exceeding an 8% concentration by weight. You can learn more about how to safely use our terpenes on our Frequently Asked Questions page. Of course, reaction to terpenes varies from person to person, and you should always consult your physician if you have any specific concerns.

One of the main ways that people use our true terpenes is to enhance their weed concentrates like weed wax, shatter, and tinctures. While these products give people the high they are looking for, they often lack in those classic flavors and aromas they fell in love with.

Terpenes can also be used in edibles, especially our food-grade terpenes sold at True Blue. This is a great option for people who don’t love that earthy, pungent flavors of cannabutter. Terpenes can help add more desirable flavors to mask the marijuana flavor, as well as heighten the effect.

To use terpenes to enhance flower that’s been sitting on the shelf for a little too long, just add a few drops and restore the flavor and aroma, or create new flavors that mimic your favorite strains you can’t always find at your local dispensary.

If you have any questions at all about how to use your True Blue terpenes, feel free to give us a call or send us a message. We want you to get the most out of your cannabis, and we’re always willing to answer questions!

Try Terpenes From True Blue

Want to get the most out of your cannabis products? Our strain-specific terpenes and natural weed flavor drops can help restore both the flavor and aroma of your favorite strains that are lost when the marijuana plant is cut and processed. More importantly, the right terpenes can help increase the medicinal benefits and effects of cannabis. True Blue Terpenes have been specifically formulated for this purpose. Shop our collection of terps and natural flavors, or create a sample pack to try out five different terpenes.

Another point, you are going to find tests that are from plants that don't match up to there named strain. I think you found one. There are several ways it can happen as well as several reasons. Sometimes it is too easy to lay it on a lab.

I'm in total agreement. After re-analysis of the situation I admit I've been a bit rash in my observations of True Terpenes and Steep Hill Labs.

I lost sight of the fact of the numerous back yard breeders that are pretty much at liberty to call their new seed stock whatever they wish. There's probably twenty strains floating around with the name of Durban Poison. My hats off to Steep Hills and Leafly for attempting to establish a fingerprint registry.

I'm posting this part here as feel it is relevant:

Summary

[Yes, I am putting the Summary of the pain cream production at the top for a reason. I will also repost the entire content in Magnus' Thread and this Summary in the 2 Holy Grail Threads because I believe it is apropos. If it is inappropriate to do this, someone please tell me and I'll refrain in the future.]

I used some of this cream on the hyper-sensitive spot on my back and the Spot that Sue and others have described on the neck (only a little here). Within a short while I felt some relief from the pressure on that spot on the back (more than I get from the Daytime caps I am taking about every 6 hours). A short time later I felt a much stronger buzz, a definite high feeling. This was much more than from the Daytime cap and much more than I expected from a cream applied to my skin.

And all of this after my concern that perhaps I had over-decarbed. I had decarbed the material separately in pint jars for 110 minutes (Kickn told me afterwards the Nova uses 75 minutes with specific heat-up and cool-down time). Then infused (part of it twice) for 110 minutes. Then heated up in double boiler to melt beeswax into final result. There should be quite a bit of degradation, right? I know there had to be loss of terpenes and breakdown of some too. So what gives?

First, we need to throw out that chart that keeps popping up on this forum. This has been written about in several threads, that other studies contradict it, that other experience contradicts it, that anecdotal evidence contradicts it, but the chart keeps reappearing, as if it were the holy grail of knowledge. We know it isn't and we must get the word out. Oldbear's current experience just proves this point - that people are worrying about the wrong thing. Perhaps we should be increasing time and/or temperature drastically to convert more THCA and CBDA (or just add CBD in at the end, which I forgot to do in my Daytime caps).

We now have the ability, and a thread exploring, adding terpenes back in. While this may add to the cost, it may be cheaper to convert more THC/CBD to make a stronger medicine and add this component back in. This at least gives us another option to explore. Especially since we could custom tailor the profile this way.

Good morning'
I am going to doubble post this one to the Grail thread.

This morning I read all of an article that I had skimmed earlier. It was well documented and seriously over my pay grade with the technical material. The setup was seven 60% CO2 extracted total potency dispensary oil samples. They were tested and then stored in there original containers in the dark at 68f except for testing. Two pages and several charts later, With 99% confidence, "The half-life of total THC in cannabis oils is 7.9months." There was no mention of what effect heat would have on the rate of decay other than a mention that it does near the beginning of the article.

I have noticed that some of the dispensaries are adding 'Use By' dates to there labeling. The first ones were one year out. Yesterday I bought two grams of bud because Friday and Saturday are $10 all strains and I like to try new strains, "Use by: 06/2018". No problem there, but that is less than 6 months.

In there closing comments, they stated "The degradaiion reaction products have yet to be determined."

Another quote, "Initial results show that the total cannabidiol (CBD) level in cannabis oils decays exponentially, similar to THC with a half-life of less than a year."

My takeaway would be, "Don't make too large of batches and keep it dark and cool".

I found a set of mixing instructions:

CBD ISOLATE (UNFLAVORED)
Starting point: 2% by weight.
Example: 1 gram of product, add 0.02 grams (Approximately 1 drop with our provided glass dropper)
This is the same ratio that we apply with our Isoterp Product.

SHATTER, WAX, ROSIN, ETC.
Example: 1 gram of product, add 0.02 grams (Approximately 1 drop with our provided glass dropper)

FLOWERS/BUDS
Alternate use: Spray buds using a pump sprayer (Always use glass, or an approved HDPE plastic sprayer to avoid undesirable reactions.)
Example: Use a light even spray that does not fully saturate the flower, gently toss in an enclosed container to cure.

LOTIONS, COSMETICS, SCRATCH AND SNIFF STICKERS
Starting point: 5% terpenes by weight.
Example: 1 ounce of lotion (28 grams), add 1.4 grams of terpenes
We recommend using a scale that goes down to at least 0.00.

SPARKLING WATER, CHAMPAGNE, BEVERAGES, ETC.
Starting point: 4-6 drops per Liter
Example: 1 glass of champagne, add 1 drop of your favorite terpene

EDIBLES
Starting point: Depending on the edible, start with .5% by weight and adjust accordingly. We don’t want the terpene to overpower the edible.
Example: Hard candy batch weighing 14 grams, add 0.07 grams of terpenes.

A recent inquiry I've posed to True Terpenes:

Good morning,

We recently launched a new thread on 420 Magazine forum to explore the exciting new world of terpene additives. This subject has received a surprising amount of attention having garnered more than 350 views in the first 12 hours after inception.

I recently received an order of four different strain mimicking blends. I've tried the the Durban Poison blend and have been quite excited over the results. However, I have found some inconsistencies that have raised my curiosity and am hopeful you can offer help.

In your pie chart, I see that terpinolene makes up about 75% of of total terpene content of your Durban Poison blend. From what I can find, the only psychological effect associated with terpinolene is sedation and seems to have been widely used in treating insomnia. This would seem to be inconsistent with th effects normally derived from Durban Poison.

Steep Hils Labs strain fingerprint site has no terpinolene evidenced in the top five terpenes present, limonene and myrcene being the two prominent members. As I understand, this analysis is compromised of the average content from numerous lab results.

A single analysis we've procured from SC Labs shows terpinolene is in fact the most significant terpene but is only approximately 25% of total content.

I understand, without regulation, there are arguably many strains available sharing this common name and perhaps this is primarily the reason for the inconsistencies. But I'm still prompted to pose a couple of questions.

First, having used the Durban Poison blend of your product, I find your description of expected effects very accurate. With such a high percentage of terpinolene, with associated sedative effects, however, to what do you attribute the energetic, uplifting effect we experience from this blend?

Secondly, from what data base do you draw in formulating your blends?

Thanx for your help.

I'll post their response when I receive it.

Hello fellow Terpene Enthusiasts :cheer:

I have attached a beta version of a Summary Profile of current Terpene Vendors. It may not be 100% accurate.

We can all share this and add amend as things evolve.

I have no history with any of them. There is no endorsement of any company or product.

What would be great is if people who have dealt with any of them to post a review of some sort?

This version is read only. Subject to what the admins say, I plan to open it so anyone can add/change entries in what would be a shared 420Mag resource.

Here it is: Terpene Sellers - Google Sheets

Very nice oldbear. Thanx for the effort.

I've run across some of these vendors in my research but some are new to me.

Buy Terpenes is the exclusive marketer for True Terpenes in case you come upon them you'll know they are one in the same. While they claim to be exclusive distributors for True Terpenes, I see on the True Terpene site they are soliciting prospective vendors for their product so who knows. Back in November I ran across numerous vendors exhibiting products displaying the True Terpene label all over Amazon and eBay.

I've made two purchases from True Terpene. They're great about staying in touch during the order and shipping process and so far have offered exceptional customer service.

I have confidence in the purity and source of their product after doing some extensive research, albeit, a bit curious about the formulation of their blends at this point.

My first order was processed in a timely manner and arrived in an acceptable time frame considering it had to travel cross country by UPS Ground due to the flammable product regulations. I was initially disappointed in the $15 shipping charge but when it arrived I found some pretty extravagant packaging obviously to comply with the volatile material requirements.

The second order I placed recently wasn't nearly as prompt taking an agonizing 11 days from point of order to arrival. It was a total content of only 8 mil. but a $15 shipping was still required. When the package arrived, there was no special packaging as with the first order. This, coupled with the fact I've seen the small 2mil sizes offered on amazon can be had with free shipping leads me to classify this as a bit of a rip-off! Also, oldbear found that shipping to Canada was an absurd $40US. I think this product would be more attractive if the company would rethink their shipping policy and make some appropriate adjustments.

Now, having lambasted them a bit, I'll have to admit I am comfortable with their product and will probably continue to re-order from them until someone else has some positive experiences with another company that will offer advantages over True Terpenes.

BCDD,
Several times you have mentioned adding your terpenes to your normal tincture. I am curious, what is in it.

OB,
Thanks for the research.

FYI, I found a way to get Excel data into a post and keep most of the formatting.

Copy your Excel block of info to Word. Then copy it to your post. Those I posted on the Grail thread were done that way. You will get some options when you import to Word that you will have to play with. As many versions and combinations of Word and Excel as there are, there is no benefit in adding details. There is actually some formatting options after it is imported.

It is not perfect and can act strange at times. For instance, adding text below what you imported keeps putting me into subscript that will import to 420 forums.

I never know

Back
Top Bottom