All About Terpene Supplements: Holy Grail Thread Spin-off

IMG_025667.JPG

OOPS Forgot the photo.

Experiment complete, oldbear. I'll have to admit, I had absolutely no expectations of any results from this test but couldn't deny a request from a fellow 420 brother!

To my surprise, however, it does actually offer a little psychological effect independent of the aid of thc. Nothing dramatic but definitely undeniable. It came on rather slowly, probably attributable to the slow assimilation and metabolization of the oil based product. I first recognized a bit of a head buzz and then a mild calming feeling.

This is an experiment I would have never tried without your prompting. Thanx. I hope to do a naked trial of the other blends eventually as well. Got several other tests on the front burners right now, however. Come on, fellows. Jump in here and give me a hand!!

BCDD

Experiment complete, oldbear. I'll have to admit, I had absolutely no expectations of any results from this test but couldn't deny a request from a fellow 420 brother!

To my surprise, however, it does actually offer a little psychological effect independent of the aid of thc. Nothing dramatic but definitely undeniable. It came on rather slowly, probably attributable to the slow assimilation and metabolization of the oil based product. I first recognized a bit of a head buzz and then a mild calming feeling.

This is an experiment I would have never tried without your prompting. Thanx. I hope to do a naked trial of the other blends eventually as well. Got several other tests on the front burners right now, however. Come on, fellows. Jump in here and give me a hand!!

BCDD

Thanks so much for doing this. I did expect there would be something because when I munch on baby leaves, I do get a reaction long before there are trichomes.

Must be the terpenes.

I've been saying for a good while that the terpenes may be as important as the cannabinoids in the mix, and you guys are proving that for us. How exciting! :slide:

I've been saying for a good while that the terpenes may be as important as the cannabinoids in the mix, and you guys are proving that for us. How exciting! :slide:

Thanx, SweetSue. Yes, I'm having a blast! This exploration is totally exciting! There are so many facets offered by this new to us product it's all a bit overwhelming at this point. So much I yearn to learn.

Okay, I got my three samples yesterday. I'm not a very good judge but they all smell the same to me. Citrus with a bit of maybe carrots and lavender or some kind of flowers. It's not an unpleasant smell but not really cannabis like. It's very similar to a specific brand of vape cartridges I've used (tangerine dream flavor specifically). I now assume they use similar terps as flavorings.

I put one drop of OG Kush terps on 1.2 grams of OG Kush flowers, ground it up very finely and rolled a joint. I didn't let it sit overnight or add heat or anything. It was an overwhelming flavor. The girlfriend didn't care for it at all. She said it made her lips feel numb. I didn't really notice much of difference in highs, but it was late afternoon and I'd already smoked a lot throughout the day.

I then followed the directions and added one drop of the Durbin Poison to a piece of paper towel and put it in a small glass jar over night with 2.3 grams of 1024 flowers (they recommend one drop per gram, but it seemed way too strong). This morning it has that same overwhelming smell but not quite as dramatic as last night. I rolled one up, dry hitting it tasted like the terps. This is my first of the day so I should be able to feel the effects properly. At first it had a bit of terp flavor but much more mellow then yesterday. The girl didn't say anything so I guess the flavor was a lot less strong. I do feel a different high then normal, more mellow but just as strong. The 1024 is normally a bit high energy, and the high lasts a very long time so it'll be interesting if that changes. It usually gets me a bit lightheaded and I don't really feel that at the moment but I haven't stood up yet. I have another gram or so to roll up, I'm going to leave the jar ajar for a bit to evaporate the smell slightly.

A fair bit of warning this stuff is highly concentrated. If you get even a single drop on you you will have to wash it very very well to get the odor off. One ounce of this would last me a lifetime. 1ml seems like a lot of drops, I'd guess 30-50. They came in individual sandwich style ziplock bags with high quality printed materials and a smaller higher quality ziplock inside. The smaller ziplock contained a labeled glass perfume tester bottle with a dipstick inside and a pipette dropper.

D5EA0D44-08FD-4F2D-912F-871CC3133158.jpeg
665A70FB-FC0E-4B8E-8A9D-105F65636168.jpeg
5D7EF570-1EA9-40FA-AFD0-37AA31DD800E.jpeg
40B8A811-474A-4D84-BB91-D57AD46AE469.jpeg

DrDoob,
That is a nice write up. My limited experience with concentrated terpenes is about the same as you described a calming while intensified high.

While I was in the big city, I stopped by a CBD store that had isolate and generic terpene concentrate. Business was good. They had two counters and two clerks. Counting myself there were 4 customers when I walked in. I bought a gram of each. The terpene concentrate looks like it is nearly a solid that is close to the dry ice extracted batch I did in color. The isolate was a white powdered crystal. I have not opened either yet. Ideas?

OFF TOPIC ALERT

Received a response today from representative #3. That makes 50%.

Thank you for taking the time to contact my office about the decriminalization of marijuana. Your input is important to me, and I appreciate the time you took to share your thoughts.

As you know, various states have approved measures for the legalization of marijuana. Regardless of these changes in state law, growing, selling, or possessing any amount of marijuana remains illegal under federal law. Marijuana is listed as a Schedule I controlled substance, and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has consistently concluded that marijuana meets this particular criteria under the Controlled Substances Act. Several proposals have been introduced in this Congress to change current federal law as it relates to marijuana. While I do not serve on the committees of jurisdiction in this area, I do not support the federal legalization of marijuana or any legislation that declassifies it as a Schedule I drug.

Thank you again for your letter. I hope you will continue to share your thoughts with me.

Sincerely,
XXX XXXXXX

Engaging in conversation in an attempt to present rational data expressing my views would be fruitless so I declined to reply to the first two responding representatives. In this case, however, I couldn't contain myself; not out of a delusional attempt to sway his thinking but out of sheer anger over his impudence and ignorance!!

Sen XXXXXX,

Thank you for your response.

Recently two major metropolitan areas in your state voted to decriminalize cannabis but our governor promptly usurped the will of the people and overturned the new local ordinances. I'm aware of numerous polls presented by various television stations throughout your state that were without exception overwhelming pro cannabis legalization to varying degrees. This leads me to question, sir, if you are in fact open to representing the mandates of your constituents or are you simply following personal convictions?

As I understand, to be classified as a Schedule I drug, a substance must meet the criteria of being highly addictive and offer no medicinal value. I'm curious as to what evidence is being used to meet this criteria? It's interesting that you site FDA's conclusion substantiating cannabis as a dangerous drug worthy of being listed as a Schedule I drug but yet they hold a patent for processing cannabis for medicinal uses. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (that's CDC) has listed several diseases and medical problems that can be successfully treated with cannabis derived medications. Major pharmaceutical companies filed over 150 patents for cannabis based medicines last year alone. Do you not find, sir, this contradictory to qualifications for a Schedule I drug?

By comparison, tobacco is arguably one of the most addictive products known to mankind and by government data is responsible for 1200 deaths per day. Not only is this product legal but was actually subsidized monetarily by the USDA until recently. Alcohol is responsible for ruining the lives of millions from a social aspect as well as a medical perspective. Opioid addiction is, even by governmental admission, a national catastrophe but all of these products remain readily accessible to virtually anyone that desires to participate.

Relative to these and numerous other products, please present legitimate evidence that cannabis usage has inflicted comparable medical and social harm to our nation. And in the absence of such evidence, can you legitimize your prejudices against decriminalizing this product?

I regret that our views are so polarized but I respect your conviction. I will, however, be obliged to exercise my right during the upcoming election to vote for a candidate that is more like minded to my position.

Respectfully
XXXXXXXX

So after a couple days I've determined that adding terps will indeed change your high. I don't know if you could turn a sativa into an indica but I'm much less skeptical then I was a few days ago. I've also determined these aren't for me. Too strong smelling and hard to work with, if it was 10 drops per gram instead of one I might've had a better experience.

I didn't try the white widow so I'm trying a little experiment, adding a drop of terps to a piece of paper towel then putting it in a glass jar with a couple rolling papers and no flowers. I think it might make it a bit subtler. I bet terp infused rolling papers become a thing soon.

Buc... that was moving and eloquent. I'll choose to think of it as a seed planted. I admired the lack of aggression that typically spills forth. The conservative mind works with a different hormonal balance than the expansive, liberal mind. That fearful nature they cultivate is security to them. They feel the need to protect us from perceived dangers. They were children of prohibition too, but their brains bought the lies.

We hold the ultimate power with our vote. I think you're going to see some shaking of the trees come next election. We're becoming the majority.

Boy, did that feel weird to write. :laughtwo: All my life I've been on the edge. Lol!

Something new to report.

I was able to source 2 cbd oils from the same Licensed Producer. They are both 0:10 thc::cbd.

One has terpenes removed the other does not (they may have been added back in)

The oil with terpenes is significantly better - smell, taste, effects.

Thanx oldbear. Great controlled comparison. Always good to hear positive reports.

Finally got around to making some more blue dream tincture to do a good baseline comparison of my terpene blends. I can now definitely attest that the Pineapple Express blend doesn't add nearly as much of a boost as the Durban Poison.

All blends aren't created equally so it's for sure going to be a trial and error endeavor. Next on my radar will be the Tahoe and dogwalker.

Interesting discovery, drdoob. Thanx for sharing.

I've found that the dogwalker og offered an unpleasant experience when mixed with blue Dream tincture; very lethargic, a bit muddle-headed and an overall depressive state.

The Tahoe og was quite relaxing and could probably be fairly effective for combatting anxious moments. Not my favorite experience but good for a lazy, do nothing afternoon at home.

Well, I realize this thread died several months ago, probably due to lack of interest, but during this period my posse and I have quietly been involved in some extensive research of terpene additives. In the event there may be some still inquisitive about these products, I'll hit some of the high points of our findings.

In an effort to set a baseline, I'll share some info on our "researchers" and our goals.

Our entourage is five strong, 3 females and 2 males, ranging in age from 50-75. All are medicinal users only, although we are unanimously enjoying, and seeking additional, mood modifications in respect to uplifting and somewhat more energetic effects.

As you can imagine with our age group, a common goal is relief from joint and extremity pain that is resultant from a long life of hard work and for some of us, even harder play! Additionally, a couple of us are seeking relief from migraine headaches, three from insomnia, one from IBS and one for symptoms associated with PTSD.

We chose TRUE TERPENES, or BUY TERPENES, the same company, (not sure what's up with the layered business structure) as our supplier. While this is not an endorsement of this company, we've been satisfied with our relationship and will probably continue to purchase from them.

Collectively, we have purchased pretty much the complete line of strain mimicking blends and many of the isolates they offer.

Now that I've presented a preface of sorts to our research, in our next chapter we'll delve into the meat of the subject.

To be continued........

CHAPTER ONE
SAFETY

The question that should be at the top of everyone's list is "Is it safe?"

The answer to this is a bit arbitrary. I'm going to present some information that could be viewed as alarming to some but I'll divulge that I'm quite anal about what I put into my body and I'm comfortable using this product within prescribed parameters. With a little due diligence, you will probably be able to find your comfort level as well. Some of this info will be repetitive but for the benefit of some new passersby, I'll revisit it.

Terpenes are sourced from cannabis, a variety of different plant matter, petroleum products or chemical synthesis. I can find no evidence that denies terpenes are terpenes are terpenes irrelevant of the source. The wrinkle comes from impurities left behind during the extraction process.

Impurities from petroleum distillation wasn't at all enticing so I eliminated this source. Some suppliers are very creative in masking their source so if you're not sure, get a definitive answer or avoid that supplier.

Also, chemically synthesized anything is something I'm not going to readily embrace if there is an alternative.

Cannabis sourced terpenes are simply cost prohibitive and offer no advantages over other plant matter derived products. Cannabis sourced terpenes are rarely available and the cost factor can be 20-25 fold higher. There are some suppliers erroneously touting their product is cannabis based but if the price is similar to other terpenes on the market, they're misleading you.

Also beware of organic claims. This product isn't eligible for FDA endorsement as organic in any circumstances.

Be vigilant of the country of origin. A lot of the products are from China with purity levels as low as 95%. Doesn't sound too bad until you start questioning what that other 5% could possibly be?!?

The following used to be posted on the True Terpene sight.

DANGER

Flammable liquid and vapor. Store in a well-ventilated place. Keep cool. Store locked up. Keep away from heat / sparks / open flames / hot surfaces. No smoking. Keep container tightly closed. Ground / bond container and receiving equipment. Use explosion-proof electrical / ventilating / lighting / equipment. Use only non-sparking tools. Take precautionary measures against static discharge. In case of fire: Use dry sand, dry chemical or alcohol-resistant foam for extinction. May be fatal if swallowed and enters airways. Causes skin irritation and may cause an allergic skin reaction. Avoid breathing dust / fume / gas / mist / vapours / spray. Wash skin thoroughly after handling. Contaminated work clothing should not be allowed out of the workplace. Avoid release to the environment. Wear protective gloves / eye protection / face protection. IF SWALLOWED: Immediately call a POISON CENTER or doctor / physician. IF ON SKIN (or hair): Remove / Take off immediately all contaminated clothing. Rinse skin with water / shower. Do NOT induce vomiting. If skin irritation or rash occurs: Get medical advice / attention. Take off contaminated clothing and wash before reuse. Harmful to aquatic life. Dispose of contents / container to an approved waste disposal plant.

Being a bit concerned, I contacted a representative of the company. He advised the warning was legally mandatory since they sold pure terpenes in bulk quantities. He further assured me that in the recommended diluted state, it was perfectly safe and had received a GRAS certification from FDA. I looked a little deeper into this claim and found terpenes are indeed GRAS certified for oral ingestion or topical applications only. Inhalation by smoking or vaping were excluded.

On another note, the two largest industrial users of terpenes are fragrance companies and agriculture. Some terpenes are used as the base ingredient for mass distributed insecticides for a variety of crops. Hmmmm!

Bottom line, I'm of the opinion, in a highly concentrated form, terpenes can probably be detrimental to ones health, as is the case with many substances readily available and widely consumed by many of us. In the proper dilution, however, I feel the use of terpenes are safe. I felt more obliged to give them ago when I found the FDA GRAS certification was legitimate.

We've actually been using terpenes for better than six months now. Initially, three of us did experience very mild stomach discomfort. One of the complainants suffered from IBS and another from eosinophilic esophagitis. Unknown if these were contributing factors. This uneasiness was short lived and inconsistent and didn't occur after the first few uses.

After six months of almost daily use, we are all still able to walk, talk, see, hear and but for one still sexually active!!! So how bad could be?!?

To be continued.........

CHAPTER 2
EFFICACY

The next question we need to explore is "Do Terpene additives really work?"

The answer to this is multifaceted.

First, let's establish your expectations. What are you looking to achieve from the use of terpenes?

We divided our goals into two segments; physiological and psychological effects.

On the physiological front, we were a bit disappointed. With one exception, no one found the addition of terpenes brought any additional benefit over our unadorned cannabis medication for any physical maladies.

The one bright spot occurred with our eldest member, a 75 year old male. When it comes to strenuous work, this gentleman is an anomaly and can humble individuals half his age. Unfortunately, at the end of a physically stressful day, despite his regular cannabis medication, he experiences moderate muscle and joint pain. He suffers from stage 3 renal failure and most over the counter pain meds are not an option. Tramadol is his remedy of choice. Over the past several months, he's tried numerous strain mimicking terpene additives with little or no success. Recently, he did a custom blend of limonene, alpha-pinene, beta-caryophyllene, linalool and myrcene in equal proportions. With the addition of some of this concoction to his cannabis medication, he avers it to be 80-90% as effective as tramadol. Very promising and our group will definitely research this a bit further.

During the many collective trials we performed, we adhered to an essential philosophy. In order to avoid "suggestive bias", we refused to share our personal results until all had an opportunity to try the particular product we were testing. After we all had tried a certain combination several times, we had an in depth discussion to share our opinions. While there were some occasional exceptions, we were generally in agreement with our results, to varying degrees.

From a psychological aspect, we are unanimously pleased. We found the addition of several of the terpenes very rewarding. Whether seeking an elevated mood or simply a relaxed evening with a book, there's an appropriate terpene available.

Now, let's further explore the question of efficacy. We have found that all terpenes are NOT created equally. Some are effective and some are not. Additionally, some presented unpleasant effects for some of us.

As a group, we found indica dominant strain Terpenes added less of an effect than those mimicking sativa strains. We placed dogwalker og and Tahoe og at the top of our list for indicas but the effects were nothing that prompted any of us to revisit either of these. I actually found the dogwalker most unpleasant; very lethargic and prompting an uneasy depressing state.

Conversely, we found many of the sativa blends most enjoyable. Unanimously, we chose super lemon haze as our fave. I was in agreement but a little less enthusiastically than the others. Girl Scout cookies, Durban Poison, green crack and the sativa blend were also at the top of our pick list. Clementine was the biggest disappointment, adding absolutely nothing for any of us.

Custom blending with isolates is absolutely overwhelming and can be quite confusing. Traits associated with a particular isolate can totally disappear when mixed with others. Terpenoline is often prescribed for insomnia but with the addition of minute amounts of other terpenes can actually be quite energizing. A-pinene or limonene by themselves offer little effect but by combining the two, it creates a very pleasant effect. We consistently ran into contradictory examples and have deduced custom blends are a trial and error crap shoot.

Bottom line; yes Terpene additives do work but there are exceptions. Temper your expectations and be selective with your choices. True Terpenes/Buy Terpenes offer sample packs that I'd definitely recommend as a cost effective trial of several strain related Terpenes.

To be continued.......

Back
Top Bottom