All Pistils No Bud: Northern Lights Auto

Corinne420

So I have two Northern Lights Auto’s on the go. We didn’t know they were autos as we found the two seeds in a bag of N.L buds we had. Around the one month mark was when they started showing signs that they were going into preflower mode. The only thing we did was put it under a stronger light and still have it at 18 hrs on 6 hrs off. (I’m going to post a pic of the light below) And have been just letting it do it’s thang. They are 3 months old now and still look like they are in preflower mode. Lots of pistils but no actual bud forming. We’ve been using Remo Nutrients, we only use Remo, we follow the amounts to a T. Does anyone have any idea what could be up? Thank you so much in advance
BB36C19F-FAA7-49E3-ACA1-C38F3AADCD62.jpeg
D166431F-628B-4DC8-8C4C-920E6E1ECDB6.jpeg
A9E9139D-5A76-4B23-B30D-3DDF80DC226A.jpeg
82DD8319-A70B-4272-A4E0-6FB2D72916A0.jpeg
B0B18987-DBD8-4AC4-B850-4161880F458E.jpeg
616828DA-37B1-41E7-99CA-825AE63C1967.jpeg
1752595E-4CAE-49D4-9F12-9AC358A37546.jpeg
47C99B33-0D30-42AB-9FA0-D440E272EFBA.jpeg
567C4987-877A-487F-8170-3A87664DC2EF.jpeg
EBD4E7C1-81E5-43AB-B753-AF3EC96E53D1.jpeg

Oldbear

I think you might try changing the light to 12 12. She looks healthy and happy.

Also if you were create a grow journal you will get lots of feedback, and it’s easy to follow your progress.

Remystemple

how bright is the light you have them under?

Nunyabiz

Probably a couple things.
I doubt these are autoflowers.
Most likely you had them under not nearly enough light in the beginning and they for whatever reason showed signs of preflower.
You then put them under more light which was needed and a good thing but kept them at 18 hours, so they may be trying to reveg.
In fact it almost certainly looks like its revegging since you got mostly 3 fingered leaves as far as I can see.
And they're growing in about 2 gallons of soil which means they're most likely root bound.
I'd transplant to at least 10 gallon FABRIC pots and FILL to the brim with good well aerated soil.
And go 12/12 on light cycle.
And I am pretty sure that bulb is meant for Veg.

Last edited:

Emilya

Member of the Month: Mar 2019, June 2022 - Grow Journal of the Month: Jan 2020, Aug 2021, June 2022
Looks like a long running photoperiod sativa to me... you might have a 12 or 14 week bloom plant there... I would put them in larger containers and settle in for the long haul. Definitely change to 12/12 lighting as these appear to be stuck in preflower mode, wanting to go into bloom. When you do change the lighting these are going to stretch and get twice as big as they start the bloom mode. Bigger containers, definitely... you have some monsters here, and at least they are female!

Corinne420

I think you might try changing the light to 12 12. She looks healthy and happy.

Also if you were create a grow journal you will get lots of feedback, and it’s easy to follow your progress.
Yes they definitely look healthy that’s for sure. I think everyone that’s commented mentioned putting it to 12/12 so that is something we’ll be doing that’s for sure. I should of done a journal, we started them during a busy time and I didn’t even think about it. I’ve done one for our last grow. Thank you so much for your reply

Corinne420

Probably a couple things.
I doubt these are autoflowers.
Most likely you had them under not nearly enough light in the beginning and they for whatever reason showed signs of preflower.
You then put them under more light which was needed and a good thing but kept them at 18 hours, so they may be trying to reveg.
In fact it almost certainly looks like its revegging since you got mostly 3 fingered leaves as far as I can see.
And they're growing in about 2 gallons of soil which means they're most likely root bound.
I'd transplant to at least 10 gallon FABRIC pots and FILL to the brim with good well aerated soil.
And go 12/12 on light cycle.
And I am pretty sure that bulb is meant for Veg.
I can definitely agree with you there that in the beginning they weren’t under the best lighting. They definitely should of been moved to where they are way sooner. But on that note the light we started them on were the same led lighting system that we used for our last grow and we had no issues with that plant at all. This strain could be more sensitive though and just need more. I kept them at 18 on cause I was reading about autos and everywhere I read it said longer light is better for autos. We definitely are going to try 12/12 cause clearly what we’re doing is not working. Yes one plant is all 3 leafed and the other is all 1 leafed. Yeah they’re in about 2.5 gallons of soil, the buckets are 5 gallons and are filled half way. I went out and bought 2 15 gallon tubs last night. I wanted what you suggested but the hubby wanted tubs so tubs it was. We line the bottom of them with those round rock balls that you use for hydro for aeration (we have a hyro system on the go with clones from our last grow) and drill holes in it. I’m not too sure about the lighting, all I know is that it’s what we’ve used before for flowering and had no issues. Thank you so much for all the help and info, I truly appreciate it :thanks:

Corinne420

Looks like a long running photoperiod sativa to me... you might have a 12 or 14 week bloom plant there... I would put them in larger containers and settle in for the long haul. Definitely change to 12/12 lighting as these appear to be stuck in preflower mode, wanting to go into bloom. When you do change the lighting these are going to stretch and get twice as big as they start the bloom mode. Bigger containers, definitely... you have some monsters here, and at least they are female!
We did find the seeds in a bag of northern lights but you just never know the seeds could of taken on genetics from god knows what. We’re definitely going to be changing the light time that’s for sure. Picked up 2 15 gallon buckets last night. We’re definitely very excited to see what happens once it does kick to bud. Thank you so much :thanks:

Corinne420

Looks like not enough/ wrong spectrum light. What model are you using?
Honestly I’m not too sure what model it is, my husband did all that. All I know is what’s printed on the bulb. There’s a pic of that, it’s the last one. :thanks:

Oldbear

Hi Corinne

It’s never too late to start a journal. When you consider all the steps and potential issues you are maybe 40% through the grow.

This would be a great one to watch the finish.

Corinne420

It's probably not related, but I think you have a MH bulb there. With HPS you'll have a better spectrum for flowering. MH is more for veg growth.
Hey I just found some info about the light we’re using, here’s a screen shot I took
798F102E-7ED4-4A87-8F1F-28929B3EA5D7.png
A0A4694A-4056-4847-9F84-E50263321EEC.png

MrSauga

Yup, that's the one I was reading about. It is meant for veg, as most reviews say they get better growth, but the mfr says it is good for all stages.
Again, it may be a small issue to what is happening. Flip the lights to 12/12 as mentioned earlier and see what happens over the next week.

Last edited:

Corinne420

Hi Corinne

It’s never too late to start a journal. When you consider all the steps and potential issues you are maybe 40% through the grow.

This would be a great one to watch the finish.
Yeah you’re definitely right, I’ll get one started here in a bit. I’ll let you know whenever it’s geared up :slide:

Corinne420

Yup, that's the one I was reading about. It is meant for veg, as most reviews say they get better growth, but the mfr says it is good for all stages.
Again, it may be a small issue to what is happening but flip the lights to 12/12 as mentioned earlier and see what happens over the next week.
Ahh see I didn’t even notice mfr lol Yup definitely am going to do that for them today. Fingers crossed that does the trick

BigD13

I can definitely agree with you there that in the beginning they weren’t under the best lighting. They definitely should of been moved to where they are way sooner. But on that note the light we started them on were the same led lighting system that we used for our last grow and we had no issues with that plant at all. This strain could be more sensitive though and just need more. I kept them at 18 on cause I was reading about autos and everywhere I read it said longer light is better for autos. We definitely are going to try 12/12 cause clearly what we’re doing is not working. Yes one plant is all 3 leafed and the other is all 1 leafed. Yeah they’re in about 2.5 gallons of soil, the buckets are 5 gallons and are filled half way. I went out and bought 2 15 gallon tubs last night. I wanted what you suggested but the hubby wanted tubs so tubs it was. We line the bottom of them with those round rock balls that you use for hydro for aeration (we have a hyro system on the go with clones from our last grow) and drill holes in it. I’m not too sure about the lighting, all I know is that it’s what we’ve used before for flowering and had no issues. Thank you so much for all the help and info, I truly appreciate it :thanks:

I see that you plan on putting "rock ball" in the bottom of your totes. I used to use rocks or gravel of some sort too. After doing a bunch of research, I no longer believe that to be a good idea. It actually does two things that you don't want in your container. First it reduces the amount of soil/grow medium available to your plants. Secondly, it raises the "Perched Water Table" in your container. This is an area of your soil that is always wet and from which the water will not drain and where roots have a hard time growing. I'll link to an article that explains it better than I can. Good luck with your grow.

Last edited:

Emilya

Member of the Month: Mar 2019, June 2022 - Grow Journal of the Month: Jan 2020, Aug 2021, June 2022
I see that you plan on putting "rock ball" in the bottom of your totes. I used to use rocks or gravel of some sort too. After doing a bunch of research, I longer believe that to be a good idea. It actually does two things that you don't want in your container. First it reduces the amount of soil/grow medium available to your plants. Secondly, it raises the "Preched Water Table" in your container. This is an area of your soil that is always wet and from which the water will not drain and where roots have a hard time growing. I'll link to an article that explains it better than I can. Good luck with your grow.

third, the rocks increase the amount of surface area in the bottom that never really dries out. Due to capillary action the sides and bottom of the container and now the rocks, never really dry out. People put the rocks in the bottom thinking that this increases drainage, but actually it causes a lot more of the bottom surface area in the container to stay wet, longer.

Top Bottom