All seedlings died except one

dissociation

I planted on december 2nd 9 seeds.

by 3 days 7 germinated... 1 or 2 were growing really fast

then pretty much every day a seedling died till I have one left.. on some of them I pulled the half cracked seed off with tweezers then they died. the others were looking perfect then they shriveled up and died or the roots fell off.

I'm using a 400W hps in a large closet.. about 1900 lumens / sq ft.. It's 90-95 degrees and using vermiculite in 16 oz cups as my medium (I have no idea how to make a vent system from a crack under my closet door.. maybe I can drill a hole in the door but I don't know where) There's a fan installed for inside circulation.

The problem is is it's too hot, too much water, or not enough water.. The vermiculite gets kinda dry but it's wet at the bottom. I drilled holes in the cup and I'm soaking it in water.

Here's a pick of the only survivor.. it was my favorite since day one.. I took it out of the closet and put it ontop of my tv to try to save it. the stem is really dry and weak and it has a huge root (the other plants had 1/3 of it)

I'm thinking to buy a fluorescent light and germinate / root my next plants for a couple weeks in rockwool cubes.. and make a room above my main grow room in the closet. I separated it with a lightproof garbage bag.

How many and what kind of lights do I need to successfully raise seedlings without killing it? Before it can survive 400 W HPS. How do I lower temperature and what kind of supplies do I need and where do I get it?

The ph is 6.2 and I'm using 1/3 tbs / gallon 20-20-20.

I need help to identify problems and help setting up a separate seedling chamber. Thanks.

100817.jpg

I don't see much in that pic there. ??
You need to upload them here so they don't get deleted from your posts.
Photo Gallery Guide - How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

Why just vermiculite in your containers?
You need a soil or soil-less mix that has some nutrients in it.

You going to end up in Hydro?

It'll be easier to pull the heat out near the top of the closet
and the crack under the door will let fresh air in.

Cool thanks for the tip about hot air.

I'm going to use 2 liter bottles filled with 4:1 lavarock to vermiculite as my growing containers when the plants are big enough. I have supplies for passive hydroponics.

Is there any air movement in there?? Don't see a fan or anything. That is crazy hot, you need to get that under control. Use cfl's or floros to get the babies going, let them get their feet planted on the ground before you attack them with that 100 degree heat. or lift the light up higher and get a fan on the backside blowing out the opening. Not sure what the deal is with the verm, doesn't seem like it would be a good seed starting medium to me.. Seems like it would be more like clay then anything. I think we used to plug our well holes with a form of verm... Sorry to hear about the losses, that sucks.. Give us some more info on the grow and we will get you on the right track...:peace::ganjamon:

I was studying that verm is good starting material. I want to do any kind of grow whatever is easiest and lots of yield. Probably SoG.. there's too much info it's very confusing... maybe I should cut my losses and try soil since hydro is hard.. But I don't want to waste much more money.. I have 50 lbs of lava rocks and 5 bags of vermiculite.

For fertilizers I have, 1lb 20-20-20. 1-2-1 oxygen plus, and 2lb 5-50-17, ph testing kit, and a pack of 1 1/2 inch rockwool.

My inside closet door is black... I was painting my room. The other walls of the closet are covered with reflective plastic.

For my next grow I want to try Medicine Man, or Northern Lights.

Thanks for everone's help. Here are some pics of what I have to work with.

112454.jpg

112359.jpg

Is that an access in the ceiling, does it go to the attic.... Your fans should not be aimed downwards, you are blowing the heat right at them... There are some good hydro guys here that may be able to keep you on that track. You have the lights, so a swap to soil wouldn't be that expensive. You can hold on to the hydro stuff for your next grow. Either way, plenty of people here to help you...:peace:

The fans are tied with plastic string to a bar that goes across the closet which the hps also hangs on. Above is 4 more feet of closet space that I want to use for a seedling and clone chamber. I don't know how to attach the fans to something else it's hard to tie them. Any tips? I should cut a hole in my closet door and make the fans face it to blow the hot air out? Thanks.

First, of all your room is too hot. You need to find a way to ventillate the hot air not only for temp. reasons but to get fresh air to the plants.

Second, if you have the 400w light too close to the young seedlings it will cook them. Play it safe and use some CFL's until the plants are established and then switch to the HPS. The CFL's will also run cooler.

Third, as DaMagoMan mentioned, you need a soiless mix. Vermiculite alone will not make for a viable medium. I suggest looking into a pre-mixed soil containing peat and perlite. Then you can add vemiculite, worm castings, and other amendments from there.

Last, if you are using any of the nutrients you have on your seedlings you are nutrient burning them to death. The rule of thumb is to wait two weeks from seed before feeding them anything. :peace:

if you wanna go hydro, get some rapid rooters, hydroton, rockwool, or something with some substance. The vermiculite can work but I've never used it and think its a bit too advanced for you. sorry dont mean to be an ass, thats my feeling. You have got to get the basics dialed in NOW, heat for seed dont let it get above 83 imo, turn the light off if you have to and put something else in there like a pig-tail cfl. Air movement put a fan low blowing around and up, NEED an exhaust cut somewhere up high. Until the room is properly set-up you will keep killing them and waiste time and money in your efforts. Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom