All you need to know about how to feed in Coco

Fuck me Barney those hygrometer are only £6 now your really taking the puiss as you say up there lol. When you have grown a while you don’t worry so much about shit as the more you do it in the same place the easier it gets kinder like ground hog day, that’s when I get stupid ideas about buying different growing equipment and generally wasting money lol, I have now learned to basic and simple that’s all it needs in this game. Ps sherlokohmz those buds look great got yourself some nice smoke there.

Cheers for all this folks (esp @Barney86 )
Have made a small niggle in my head that i had errored in my mix for 3 new seeds I have, which I now better understand.
I have an abundance of coco so it supports an attempt to move away from soil; for at least one plant and follow Barney's method (wouldn't mind a yak in next few days if you dont mind Barney?!) Primary fear was that the plants would starve without the soil buffer but though they would for sure require less nutrients being added by default of soil itself, it was a misguided view because of several things - all to do with experience namely , I under estimated my levels of interactions, I under estimated the spectrum of nutient control possible, etc etc.
So we learn something everyday, thanks. :high-five:
W

Fuck me Barney those hygrometer are only £6 now your really taking the puiss as you say up there lol. When you have grown a while you don’t worry so much about shit as the more you do it in the same place the easier it gets kinder like ground hog day, that’s when I get stupid ideas about buying different growing equipment and generally wasting money lol, I have now learned to basic and simple that’s all it needs in this game. Ps sherlokohmz those buds look great got yourself some nice smoke there.
Haha yeah man 6 quid that's the one I've got.
It still works but I literally don't want to know these days lol. Just something else to worry about. It doesn't give me any grief so I don't bother.
There is a massive benefit if you can keep the environment dialed in but it's just too much hassle lol.
Done it the first few grows and had a few plant 15-20oz because of it but if youre not growing them that size then it really isn't as essential to keep things that perfect.... So I just checked the tent in the bin lol. :)

Cheers for all this folks (esp @Barney86 )
Have made a small niggle in my head that i had errored in my mix for 3 new seeds I have, which I now better understand.
I have an abundance of coco so it supports an attempt to move away from soil; for at least one plant and follow Barney's method (wouldn't mind a yak in next few days if you dont mind Barney?!) Primary fear was that the plants would starve without the soil buffer but though they would for sure require less nutrients being added by default of soil itself, it was a misguided view because of several things - all to do with experience namely , I under estimated my levels of interactions, I under estimated the spectrum of nutient control possible, etc etc.
So we learn something everyday, thanks. :high-five:
W
Always happy to help mate, that's what the threads here for :)
I'm on almost every day at some point.
Not till later on sometimes but Ill always get back to you bud :)

Okay @Barney86 my brother . You know I'm a deep water guy and that I did do a little test plant in coco. She did well for her size, she gave me 150.2 grams /5.36 oz in the curing jar (no sticks,stems or seeds;) ) in her 3 gallon air pot under my little cc140w light . Now I know I could pull more as it was like she stopped producing flower growth about 4 weeks before I harvested her . I feel it had to do with the nutrients I used for the first 3/4 of the grow as they where old advanced nutes (to expensive to trash and I feel that I should have anyway ) I think there was some evaporation and it threw off the concentration of the nutes and that's not good when mixing a two part . lol

Any way I was also feeling that it had to do with pot size as generally speaking people say 1gal per 12' of plant . Now I scrogg mine and I feel that that rule of thumb probably applies to plant volume , however its never discussed . So I was thinking my issue could be two fold ..old nutes and pot size as she spanned about 33" x 19" deep and averaged 10" tall . so I was thinking of going with a 5 or 7 gallon airpot for my next test subject . Any thoughts / suggestions ?

Okay @Barney86 my brother . You know I'm a deep water guy and that I did do a little test plant in coco. She did well for her size, she gave me 150.2 grams /5.36 oz in the curing jar (no sticks,stems or seeds;) ) in her 3 gallon air pot under my little cc140w light . Now I know I could pull more as it was like she stopped producing flower growth about 4 weeks before I harvested her . I feel it had to do with the nutrients I used for the first 3/4 of the grow as they where old advanced nutes (to expensive to trash and I feel that I should have anyway ) I think there was some evaporation and it threw off the concentration of the nutes and that's not good when mixing a two part . lol

Any way I was also feeling that it had to do with pot size as generally speaking people say 1gal per 12' of plant . Now I scrogg mine and I feel that that rule of thumb probably applies to plant volume , however its never discussed . So I was thinking my issue could be two fold ..old nutes and pot size as she spanned about 33" x 19" deep and averaged 10" tall . so I was thinking of going with a 5 or 7 gallon airpot for my next test subject . Any thoughts / suggestions ?
oh @Barney86 you Scottish fair tempered coco guru ….you going to help open my eyes on this or should I keep them nailed shut ? lol

oh @Barney86 you Scottish fair tempered coco guru ….you going to help open my eyes on this or should I keep them nailed shut ? lol
Sorry mate. My notifications have been a bit hectic recently.
Just blasting bf1 for an hour though then I'll be back on :)

Sorry mate. My notifications have been a bit hectic recently.
Just blasting bf1 for an hour though then I'll be back on :)
cool , I just had to throw a bit of static out there . lol
see what happens when you become popular … its the kilt I say .

What do you mean by "cc" mate? Over a gram per watt is an extremely good result. Especially from a 140!

To answer the pot size question,
I'm fairly sure I mention in the first few posts somewhere that what I have here is a method on how to grow 3-5oz plants.
That's because, the same as you, I also use 3gal pots.
Mine are fabric so basically the same as airpots. Same benefits/behaviour etc.

Most people that grow Coco use 3-5 gal pots.
I've experimented with autos and photos in 3-5 gal fabrics and found there to be no difference between the sizes. Not one that can be discerned from the pot size anyway.

It's more to do with how you water them, how much O2 is at the root zone and how you train them imo.
Mine turn out about the same size as yours doing it this way but if I wanted to make then bigger I'd put airdomes in the pots and plug them into a recirc Res to be fed a good few gallons numerous times a day.
Would massively up the amount of oxygen available so they'd grow harder.
Light obviously plays a massive part in it too. More light means bigger plants.
I veg mine under a 130w CFL, then 200w CMH then 400w CMH, then 600w HPS once the stretch is done because I don't want them growing too fast. I'll happily add a bit of time on to make my life easier but the fact is that if I just cracked them onto 600w they'd be a lot bigger a lot faster.
Gotta be on the ball to grow like that though and the honest truth is I'm just too lazy these days so I make things as easy as possible. Get the same results per meter, just takes a wee bit longer to get there. :)

What do you mean by "cc" mate? Over a gram per watt is an extremely good result. Especially from a 140!

To answer the pot size question,
I'm fairly sure I mention in the first few posts somewhere that what I have here is a method on how to grow 3-5oz plants.
That's because, the same as you, I also use 3gal pots.
Mine are fabric so basically the same as airpots. Same benefits/behaviour etc.

Most people that grow Coco use 3-5 gal pots.
I've experimented with autos and photos in 3-5 gal fabrics and found there to be no difference between the sizes. Not one that can be discerned from the pot size anyway.

It's more to do with how you water them, how much O2 is at the root zone and how you train them imo.
Mine turn out about the same size as yours doing it this way but if I wanted to make then bigger I'd put airdomes in the pots and plug them into a recirc Res to be fed a good few gallons numerous times a day.
Would massively up the amount of oxygen available so they'd grow harder.
Light obviously plays a massive part in it too. More light means bigger plants.
I veg mine under a 130w CFL, then 200w CMH then 400w CMH, then 600w HPS once the stretch is done because I don't want them growing too fast. I'll happily add a bit of time on to make my life easier but the fact is that if I just cracked them onto 600w they'd be a lot bigger a lot faster.
Gotta be on the ball to grow like that though and the honest truth is I'm just too lazy these days so I make things as easy as possible. Get the same results per meter, just takes a wee bit longer to get there. :)
That's exactly what I need to know . Thank you .
See as you know this was my first coco run and she stopped putting on new flower growth about 4 weeks before harvest . Although she did produce well I was trying to narrow down the reasons she stopped new growth so soon, one of them being pot size the other factor was for the first 3/4 of the grow I used some old advanced nutrients I had on the shelf for awhile ,almost 2 years that I wasn't going to just throw out because they where expensive and I felt that due to evaporation it threw off the concentrates ( that's not good when you have to mix them , lol )and I may have burnt her roots a tad as she did show signs of overfertilization or at least me pushing her hard . so I will now do another run in a 3 gal pot with the same nutes I use in my main grow . Im trying coco because im a hydro guy and a coco set up is easy and want a mother I can take clones from for my main room ( so I can flower them when they are a little shorter) and then put her in flower as I rotate what I grow in my main and do not have the room to keep mothers around .

In regards to 'cc' its short for "Closet case" .. I use all spectrum king lighting for a number of reasons and that one was a Closet case 140w ..its supposed to compete with a 315w cmh but I have never used one so I cant tell you . In regards to the light I know its listed to be used in a space that is twice the size that I have it in .

You know I don't actually have a kilt. You seen the price of the bloody things. It's 700quid just for the kilt in my tartan. :(
wow so about 900 usd for one in your pattern . Yeah that is pricey , but it is about heritage and im sure they are well made .

Heritage indeed mate I'm Clan Stuart of Bute :)
Yeah the old nutes might not be very useful. I think it's generally accepted that they should be used in 6 months of opening. Never tried using much older cos it never lasts that long.
Oxygen and volume are the 2 main ones to look at though. I checked the light and yeah, no reason that can't produce around 300g if the footprints filled properly.
Have you seen the quadlining thread? That's a really good way to get the bigger yields too. The manifold makes life so much easier for the plant to feed all the buds equally. I used to obsessively train my plants into monsters but pullin pounders isn't as fun as it sounds.
Lots of upkeep, Crazy feeding habbits, generally just really time consuming and inconvenient.

700quid just for the kilt in my tartan.
It was 400 to rent for the evening my sons school prom in west lothian a few years back fella. He may well have looked 'McT' clan fae Glesga ready, but it was sore. (But was awfy proud ;)

Btw got some terpin ahem, epsom salts yesterday .
Haha

It was 400 to rent for the evening my sons school prom in west lothian a few years back fella. He may well have looked 'McT' clan fae Glesga ready, but it was sore. (But was awfy proud ;)

Btw got some terpin ahem, epsom salts yesterday .
Haha
I had to rent 3 the other year. £200 a pop.
Had to use 3 different shops due to availability.
They all asked me my address but never asked for proof.
1 of them asked if I wanted to pay a deposit..that got taken off the bill that I'd pay before taking the kilt so wasn't even a deposit and the other 2 never bothered at all.
Next time think I'm just gonna tell them im Phil Mckrackin of no 4 Skin Avenue.
Date of return 33rd of julember last year and I bet the soppy twat still gives me it.
Don't know how they're still open. Must get full dress' knicked from them all the time. Talking couple grand for some of the gear and they don't even ask you to prove anything about yourself. Crazy man.

Ahhh that took me a while there lol. Is that what Epsom salts are used for?
I thought they were for calmag?
They are.
Same thing.
Fucking fuckers....

I dont mind a guy making a buck but selling magic beans to folk who dont know any better pisses me off no end.

Btw, I mentioned the kit to missus, she informs me we didn't get our deposit back either, a lost button was enough apparently. She kept it quiet cause I kick off at shit like that....
My next trip up in a month or two; n i'll be visiting those robbin' bastards...

Heritage indeed mate I'm Clan Stuart of Bute :)
Yeah the old nutes might not be very useful. I think it's generally accepted that they should be used in 6 months of opening. Never tried using much older cos it never lasts that long.
Oxygen and volume are the 2 main ones to look at though. I checked the light and yeah, no reason that can't produce around 300g if the footprints filled properly.
Have you seen the quadlining thread? That's a really good way to get the bigger yields too. The manifold makes life so much easier for the plant to feed all the buds equally. I used to obsessively train my plants into monsters but pullin pounders isn't as fun as it sounds.
Lots of upkeep, Crazy feeding habbits, generally just really time consuming and inconvenient.
yeah im thinking it was the nutes ..they where on the shelf because they burnt the crap outta my plants even at 1/2 strength(in my hydro systems) ..even from new they had sediment in the bottom and you really needed to shake the shit out of them (felt like I needed a paint shaker) and I always give my nutes a good shake before mixing solution . There was just something off . But they are gone and its over and I wont be buying that brand ever again .
I have read on the net about quadlining but haven't tried it since I scrogg everything ..maybe I will give that a test run also . I will do a search for that thread .
I appreciate your input. Thank you .

I'm growing in 10L fabric pots mostly mate. Get an average of 3 - 4oz per plant based on 6 plants sharing a 660w hps.
If your plan is to grow less plants but bigger then you just add on 50% nutes every time the bottoms go yellow.

See how I said" 200ppm-300ppm-450ppm for those with a ppm meter."
It's 50% rise every time if the bottom leaves yellow.
That pretty much garuntees you can't ever get any tox problems.
That in turn mean your ph will stay in range for as long as it possibly can.

If the mids still lose colour and go blotchy or rusty they need extra calmag.
Tops go yellow it's iron def. For which you need iether a bottle of 'Micro' or do what I do and by calmag+ which has iron too. That's all I use it for, my nutes have enough calmag already.

That's about the limit of how big you can go on 450ppm / ec 0.9.
Blue dream'matic from fastbuds. Sure that was the biggest one that time at bang on 4oz.
3 of them and 3 brooklynne sunrise autos that time. Wouldn't grow the b/s again though. Total cabbage.
The blue dream though is probably my favourite stone in 15 years :)
Screenshot_20190605-194706.png
Hi Barney I am Larry and am in the middle of my first grow. I initially was going to set up the DWC system I made but due to quite a few mistakes in the seedling stage. The seedlings got leggy, could not stand up on their own and then they started to die. I was so upset because it was my fault that this happened. I started with 3 seeds and I put them into Rapid Rooters. 1 died and I could not let those other 2 die. I got 2 pots, scrubbed them clean, I had a bag of miracle grow potting mix with compost, no extended fertilizers at all. Added perlite and vermiculite mixed it all up planted the Rapid Rooters. Now I have 2 plants that are exploding in growth. Gave my first 1/4 strength nute watering yesterday. Looked at them this morning and I was honestly shocked on how much they grew overnight. I use 420 complete Growtime Fertilizer 19-5-20. It is a powder and mixes instantly. If this keeps working like it did from just one watering I will never use anything else. I also have their Flowertime Fertilizer too. Thanks so much for your post, I saved it.

Hi Barney I am Larry and am in the middle of my first grow. I initially was going to set up the DWC system I made but due to quite a few mistakes in the seedling stage. The seedlings got leggy, could not stand up on their own and then they started to die. I was so upset because it was my fault that this happened. I started with 3 seeds and I put them into Rapid Rooters. 1 died and I could not let those other 2 die. I got 2 pots, scrubbed them clean, I had a bag of miracle grow potting mix with compost, no extended fertilizers at all. Added perlite and vermiculite mixed it all up planted the Rapid Rooters. Now I have 2 plants that are exploding in growth. Gave my first 1/4 strength nute watering yesterday. Looked at them this morning and I was honestly shocked on how much they grew overnight. I use 420 complete Growtime Fertilizer 19-5-20. It is a powder and mixes instantly. If this keeps working like it did from just one watering I will never use anything else. I also have their Flowertime Fertilizer too. Thanks so much for your post, I saved it.

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to read this mate it's always appreciated but secondly,

Wooooaaaahhh!!!!

Slam the breaks on there buddy. That was just a bit of good luck that I haven't killed your plants yet.
You honestly don't want to be listening to a single word of this thread.

This is my method for Coco growing. It's a hydroponic media and treating soil this way is a very, very bad idea.
Likewise treating this like soil usually fucks them right up.

Go find @ emilya mate (you don't put the space in between) read the threads under her name. If you still have any confusion shes always happy to point folk in the right direction.

Thanks again mate but honestly my methods will eventually kill anything in soil. :)

I am sorry, I caught that after I did it, sorry.
I'm still here, see you responded to others and not me maybe this will clarify things about my grow. Same strain White Widow-2, OG Kush-3, 1 Darth Vader Kush found seed. The leaf is off one in the grow at bottom of the plant /I don't recommend this co. As I list 50% in germination replaced and growing again plus seedlings from critical mass, power plant, and Trainwreck just popping. So what can you tell me? Any would be appreciated ❣

Back
Top Bottom