Altering An Autoflower Light Cycle To Engage The Calvin Cycle

SQl2kGuy

I have not been able to find an answer based on science or experiment to the following scenario:

I am currently running 20/4 which is recommended for autoflowers.

I want to turn the lights off for 2 hours "mid light cycle" ... that is ... on 9 hours ... off 2 hours ... on 9 hours ... off 4 hours.

I understand that botanists have determined an optimum light cycle of 4 to 6 hours off for plants to rest and the Calvin Cycle to function.

I am trying to understand if there is more benefit than loss to allow the plant to rest for 2 hours "mid light cycle". This is kind of like clouds for 2 hours.

I understand the plant loses 2 hours of photosynthesis ... but gains 2 hours of rest and the Calvin Cycle.

Will the yield go up? Stay the same? decrease? Will the plant be stressed?

This is "similar" to Gas Lantern which saves money in high cost electricity countries like the UK.

If you have an answer based on science or experiment or a grow journal here ... please cite the reference so we can verify the answer.

Thanks

It's not just how much light the plants are receiving at any one time, DLI (day light integral) is a factor, too. I suppose you could make up for the drop in hours' of light by adding more light, lol - as long as you don't reach the point where they can not process/use any more light-energy at one time at the temperature the plants are experiencing and with the amount of CO₂ in the grow space, of course.

By the way, interesting topic.

It's not just how much light the plants are receiving at any one time, DLI (day light integral) is a factor, too. I suppose you could make up for the drop in hours' of light by adding more light, lol - as long as you don't reach the point where they can not process/use any more light-energy at one time at the temperature the plants are experiencing and with the amount of CO₂ in the grow space, of course.

By the way, interesting topic.
Hey @TorturedSoul ... thanks, that makes sense. I am going to try and track down some technical journals if I can to better understand the process.

Hey, it just occurred to me that certain processes that take place during the dark part of the cycle... If I remember correctly, they do not start right away, that it takes some time. Therefore, you might not be getting "full benefit" from only a two-hour period of darkness. Are you going to be using a - I don't remember if it's one of the reds or one of the blues - supplemental light for a time before and immediately after your main lights shut off, in order to hasten this?

I think that's the flower hormone trigger (can't remember what it's called). If I remember correctly photoperiod plants release it ever night after lights out once it converts far red wavelength energy into.. something else? Lol basically it needs to be active for 10-12+ hours to make the plant enter flowering. What about auto's though? Is it the same process at lights out? I haven't read anything substantial on auto's, but if you find anything please share :thumb:

Uh... Yeah, that might be it. Haven't been getting enough sleep lately. Please pardon the interruption, lol.

No, really. I've had to stay up all night for the past few weeks, so any sleep at all I get has been during daylight hours. And the opportunity for regular naps has been sadly lacking.

The main reason experienced growers do autos on 24/0 isn't for the extra light mate. It's because it allows them to keep the environment more stable. Which means the plants can feed/perspire better (go look up VPD scale) and that's what gives them the benefit. Not actually the extra light.
Unless your using the 24 to keep your VPD on point or to allow more effective use of added co2 then I'd say best off to just give them a few hours dark.

It does allow people to get "more bang for their buck," so to speak out of cheap lights. Drop the light schedule on an autoflower to 12 on / 12 off, and you'll probably harvest less (assuming you're not maxing them out at only 12 hours).

Back
Top Bottom