Alternative Treatments For Graves Disease; Marijuana (Cannabis)

Jacob Bell

As medical director for Medical Cannabis of Southern California I see a few patients every month who present with the diagnosis of Graves Disease. Graves Disease is caused by an overactive thyroid gland (Hyperthyroidism) and can cause a great variety of symptoms. Many of these symptoms can be easily treated with cannabis.

The thyroid gland is located on either side of the adams apple in patients and can be easily felt on physical exam. It's main function is regulate the overall metabolism of the body. It also plays a role in calcium metabolism. There are many clinical symptoms associated with an over active or under active thyroid gland. The most common symptoms are weight loss, fatigue, rapid heart rate, muscle weakness and protruding eyes (exophthalmos). However many patients can also experience anxiety, headaches, excessive sweating, irritability, decreased concentration, insomnia and a multitude of other symptoms.

Today my patient was a 38 year old make who presented with the diagnosis of graves disease. He experiences insomnia, frequent headaches and lack of appetite. On exam he suffered from protruding eyeballs which is common in patients with hyperthyroidism. He had been using cannabis for the past three months to help with the headaches pain and assist with sleep. At night time he would vaporize with an indica kush strain and during the day he used a sativa to help with his appetite. He stated the cannabis has greatly improved the quality of his life. He received a written recommendation by me to medicate legally with cannabis and was able to go and purchase medicine today!

Traditional medical treatments for Graves disease are 1. Anti-thyroid medication designed to chemically slow down the production of thyroid hormone 2. Radioactive iodine which "kills" the overactive thyroid cells and 3. Surgical removal of the thyroid gland itself.

Source: Alternative Treatments for Graves Disease; Marijuana (Cannabis)

Hey everybody. Name's philT, I'M from new Ross, Co,Wexford, Ireland. . I have Graves Disease. Bummer eah? I'm 40, another bummer. Already got my thyroid out last September & just had orbital decomposition on both eyes 2 weeks ago. Still have pretibial myxodiema.(not sure about spelling. Its late.). I also had a stent put in last may. Also have 2 types of arthritis. Just. Want 2 say reading some of the posts really helpedq me. I smoke medicine whenever I can. Really helps. My GP says its NOT AN OPTION for me 2 get on2 a cannabis pill that was made legal here in January. Only for MS&cancer. Now don't get me wrong, if anyone deserves it they do. . But, I should be a candidate 2 don't u think? It costs 50euro here for 3grams. One day pain free per week. Solo not worth it. . Think I'll have 2 grow my own. . Dodgy here. .don't fancy going 2 prison. .

I suffer from graves disease too. Was told I was born with it but didn't see symptoms til 6 years ago or so. Lost 40 lbs in a short time with all of the other crappy symptoms. Not to mention the goiter I have in my neck. It sucks bad. Can you get medical weed for graves/hyperthyroidism? I'm in NY so if anything I'll only be able to get weed pills. But right now there is only a few major conditions that you can get it for. Cancer and aids patients basically. This country is so behind the times man.

I suffer from graves disease too. Was told I was born with it but didn't see symptoms til 6 years ago or so. Lost 40 lbs in a short time with all of the other crappy symptoms. Not to mention the goiter I have in my neck. It sucks bad. Can you get medical weed for graves/hyperthyroidism? I'm in NY so if anything I'll only be able to get weed pills. But right now there is only a few major conditions that you can get it for. Cancer and aids patients basically. This country is so behind the times man.

your not wrong my friend. ireland is supposed to decriminalise it next year. im not bothered, either way ill be self medicating. if i get caught, ive enough illness's to vindicate my usage.

Back
Top Bottom