Alternatives to coconut oil?

CanadianJim

Hey everyone,
We've been making gummies recently for my sister, and for the first couple of batches we used coconut oil. They turned out well, but due to her very high tolerance we had to use more oil than most of the recipes called for.
Due to this the taste of the oil is so strong that for the latest batch she actually started to get sick, almost to the point of vomiting.
We switched to olive oil for now, but I'm wondering , is there's something that would work better for gummies?
The olive oil seems to make them softer and stickier than the coconut oil did.
We would appreciate any tips to lower or eliminate the taste of the coconut oil as well if anyone has any.
Thanks

I've used grapeseed oil, but,like olive oil, they tend to get a little greasy.
Coconut oil is definitely the best to use for gummies (imo)- it's also metabolized faster than other oils
so the gummies kick in a bit faster.

I'm talking about refined coconut oil- the one that's solid at room temp-it's also tasteless and odorless- no coconut taste at all.

You could also make them weaker (use less oil), and just have your sister eat a few more of them at a time.

Yep, that's the one we used. I guess we'll try making the oil more concentrated or something, and try the grapeseed oil.
I wouldn't call the coconut oil tasteless, but it doesn't bother me.
We find coconuts disgusting due to an incident at a birthday party where my dad thought a real coconut would be a good treat. We found moldy stinky pieces afterwards where kids had hidden them. We kept finding them for years.
So I read that there's an upper limit to the amount of cannabis you can infuse, but no one seems to want to say what it is.
Anybody know if 28g per 500ml would be too much?

I do 28-30g per cup (apx 250ml) and it works fine, so you could make yours quite a bit stronger .
Do you add lecithin? it helps the thc bind to the oil more efficiently.
Liquid Sunflower Lecithin is what I use now, but I also made 3 or 4 batches with Granulated Soy Lecithin,and it worked fine too-
1 Tbsp per cup of oil for the liquid lecithin, added to the oil after infusion.

I make gummies once and a while for my wife. I find it hard to dose with them. It would probably help if my molds weren't all different sizes. With brownies I know one will do the trick. Lately I have been just taking the dust and washing it down with a drink it had a real slow and steady onset. I will be making some more brownies soon as I have a couple mason jars steeping in the basement just need to be strained. Should be some stout oil it's been well over a month since I infused the oil. Have you tried letting it sit with weed after infusing? It does seem to make it stronger. A trick I picked up from sweetsue.

I do 28-30g per cup (apx 250ml) and it works fine, so you could make yours quite a bit stronger .
Do you add lecithin? it helps the thc bind to the oil more efficiently.
Liquid Sunflower Lecithin is what I use now, but I also made 3 or 4 batches with Granulated Soy Lecithin,and it worked fine too-
1 Tbsp per cup of oil for the liquid lecithin, added to the oil after infusion.
Yeah, we use lecithin. We added it in while making the gummies. I guess we'll up the concentration next batch.
And I have just been informed that the coconut oil was not refined, so we will also try refined.

I make gummies once and a while for my wife. I find it hard to dose with them. It would probably help if my molds weren't all different sizes. With brownies I know one will do the trick. Lately I have been just taking the dust and washing it down with a drink it had a real slow and steady onset. I will be making some more brownies soon as I have a couple mason jars steeping in the basement just need to be strained. Should be some stout oil it's been well over a month since I infused the oil. Have you tried letting it sit with weed after infusing? It does seem to make it stronger. A trick I picked up from sweetsue.
We'll try that, too. Thanks for the tip!

so we will also try refined.
That's what kept me from using it-I hate the taste of coconut, and I assumed the refined stuff would have that taste too. Another member on here (sorry,can't remember who) informed me that the refined stuff didn't have that taste at all ,so i tried it- never looked back.
You just have to remember to warm it up to above 77f to liquefy it before you use it....you don't have to melt it, but it sure makes it easier to work with...

Use MCT coconut oil, its the liquid. It has no taste and the best effect imho. Add about 3% lecithin, soy or sunflower, to the oil and cannabis concentrate before adding to your gummy recipe. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom