Am I correct in concluding this NFT vrs. DWC summation?

trichomes

Am I correct in concluding this NFT vrs. DWC summation??:

"the difference between NFC and DWC all about moving pumped-water over roots (NFT), opposed to, DWC, in which the water does not constantly move (no water pump, just airstones??)"

I'm still learning to weed out the answers vrs. so many theories...thanks :thumb: to all that take 30 seconds to contribute with a REPLY.

Actually you kinda got it, but not totally.

Think of DWC as roots totally submerged in a water/nutrient bath. While NFT is more a constant flow of water through the roots, not necessarily, keeping the roots submerged in a bath. You've probably seen on you tube or here in the forums, grows using say 3" or 4" pvc pipe with small net cups every so many inches. Often times multiple rows of these. The pvc is set at a small downward angle to gravity flow water that is pumped up to the pvc from a reservoir below, naturally flowing through the roots.

DWC can have pumped water as well. But the roots are kept submerged in generally speaking large buckets, 3gal-5gal being most common but some do it with larger. These buckets are connected via pvc at the bottom and a main reservoir will generally be the feeding via gravity to keep water at an equal level amongst all buckets. At the furthest point from such reservoir will be a pump connected to the pvc that sucks out the water and feeds it back to the main reservoir. Most commonly with a water chiller between. This constant flow and main bucket or reservoir keeps the water lever constant and recirculates the nutrient very effectively, as well as adding some oxygen to the nutrient solution. This system becomes RDWC or Recirculating Deep Water Culture.

There are variants of rdwc using drip systems too, as JJ Bones mentions, but the main aspect of any DWC is the roots are kept submerged.

Back
Top Bottom