Am I doing this right?

Noobfarmer420

420 Member
Well hello there, I'll start by apologizeing for the length of this post, I'm a very passionate beginner and I'm new to this site and to growing and I know I won't get it right the first time but I'm trying my best to succeed. So my buddies and I decided to start a farm in a basement and it kind of resorted to me doing everything and them paying haha. So I had no idea what a science or art even that this all is, there's so much I'm learning everyday and I would really appreciate your guys advice. I would like to know what you experience guys think about my room setup and estimated expectations if you will. So the room itself is a medium sized room in the basement about 14ft x 7.5 x 7.5ft high. I lined the walls and ceiling with plastic tarping to keep out dust and bugs any foriegn things I can, then on top of the plastic I lined the walls and ceiling with poly shield reflective insulation from home depot, I hope that's good enough for sealing and reflecting my lights. I taped all the seams with duct tape and what not. My exhaust/Intake system is all AC infinity. My intake is a 8 inch cloudline s8, inline fan (807 cfm) attached to a 6inch hepa that's outside the room but still in basement. My exhaust is a 8 inch charcoal filter connected to a cloudline T8 inline fan (807cfm) with humidity control sensor. The exhaust tube goes outside the room to a basement window that goes under my front porch. The path to the window is a little long so I bought an 8 inch booster fan (428 cfm) to help out the T8 in the room. Now the lights I'm skeptical on. There are two (I know should be more but faces turned pale when discussing cost of them let more than 2) but they're 2: "KING 4000W Quantum Dimmable LED Grow Light 1296pcs Samsung LEDs" real wattage they say is 420w (I swear they said 420 lol), there's very little information on these lights I wanted to go HLG but I was vetoed basically and we went with KINGLED. Some of their blurple lights you can find on Amazon that got good reviews, these Quantum Samsung chipped leds are too new for any info on them, you can only buy them from their site and there's no real reviews out there so that's what I mean about skeptical. The general idea I think was well if they're crap well they'll do something good enough to get our monies worth, they were $500 each, cheap compared to some. Anyway moving on, my farm will consist of 20 plants all Autos since well I think photoperiod need more attention than I can provide and we kind of just got swept up in the 3 months to smoke the fruit of our labor thing lol. The autos are reported to yield 500-650g m2, supposed to be pretty high yield for autos. They will be grown in 5 gal fabric bags in SOHUM living soil, I will be using the Cyclops method of seed starter soil in the middle to start my younglings since it was recommended by sohum. I will be using no additonal nutes outside of sohum except, roots organic elemental to start and roots organic rising bloom to feed during flower. I will also alternate watering with worm casting tea once a week. This whole feeding plan was by the recommendation of the grow guy at my local grow shop by the way, he seemed to know a lot so I'm taking his word and it seems legit as far as I can tell. Anyway my biggest concern is the two lights for a room that big, with 20 plants. I'll keep them close together and Kingled says 6x6 ft bloom footprint per light, but I'm not even sure if I can believe them. But please if you read all this let me know what you think, any constructive criticism or good vibes are always welcome!

Yeah...2 lights for 20 plants?! I'm not an experienced grower either but that seems like you will have to train them well to keep the canopies even and tight.

I think photoperiod need more attention than I can provide
From what I understand, it is quite the opposite. There is less wiggle room for mistakes with autos. With photos you can extend the veg if needed to fix any mistakes you have made. I have not grown autos yet. Some folks here are VERY good at growing them. They have a system and stick to it so that it is easy for them and the plant. Be consistent with your approach and I think you will be fine. From reading your post, it seems like you did a lot of research and have a good plan. I'm just not sure about the 20 plants with only 2 lights. I would rather have less plants and higher quality than the opposite of that.

I know it's the biggest downfall I have , I mean they're big lights and the autos should stay petite compared to photos so I was hoping it would be OK but you're probably right. I forgot to mention but I will be attempting LST training but maybe that will make them too wide and push some of the outer edge ones too far from the light. Man, I hope hope works out

I am not familiar with that SOHUM soil.
If its classed as a "supersoil" that is a possible trigger for the autoflower as many of them don't like hot soil.

If it were me I would probably put some seedling soil in the center about the size of a solo cup for the seedling to grow in before the roots hit the richer soil, I would just plant the germinated seed right into the 5 gal fabric pot.
Just be careful with the watering the first week.
That soil looks decently aerated , IF it is then don't be scared to water it and I would use Yucca extract in your water so it will spread better.

All depends on the soil though.

I am not familiar with that SOHUM soil.
If its classed as a "supersoil" that is a possible trigger for the autoflower as many of them don't like hot soil.

If it were me I would probably put some seedling soil in the center about the size of a solo cup for the seedling to grow in before the roots hit the richer soil, I would just plant the germinated seed right into the 5 gal fabric pot.
Just be careful with the watering the first week.
That soil looks decently aerated , IF it is then don't be scared to water it and I would use Yucca extract in your water so it will spread better.

All depends on the soil though.
Yeah you're right the young plants can't handle the super soil, they even said it them selves at sohum. They recommended the same thing for me to make a good sized hole like small football in the soil fill it with seed starter, they called it the Cyclops method lol. And do you think I should do yucca with the regular water or substitute the worm casting for yucca water?

Excuse my ignorance but wot is yucca extract ??

You'll get lots of good ideas and help on this site ,great group of peeps :goodluck:

@Freak Brothers I was thinking the same thing haha.
@Nunyabiz so online there's dozens of companies, whats the one you use? I found 1 article that praised the benefits but are there any negatives? I know super soils headbutt with nutes and supplements is there a chance with the yucca? I like that yucca keeps salt from building up by the roots though so I'm intrigued.

Excuse my ignorance but wot is yucca extract ??

You'll get lots of good ideas and help on this site ,great group of peeps :goodluck:
Yucca extract is exactly as it sounds, an extract of the Yucca plant.
It is used as a wetting agent, it is high in saponins.
This help break the polarity of the water molecule so that it can spread more effectively especially in hydrophobic mediums.
It makes it so the plants roots can use water more efficiently.

It helps get rid of dry spots in the soil instead of the water following channels, its spreads.
There are also complex carbohydrates in Yucca that feed the microbes.

@Freak Brothers I was thinking the same thing haha.
@Nunyabiz so online there's dozens of companies, whats the one you use? I found 1 article that praised the benefits but are there any negatives? I know super soils headbutt with nutes and supplements is there a chance with the yucca? I like that yucca keeps salt from building up by the roots though so I'm intrigued.
I use one called Thermx70.

There are no downsides to Yucca.

I've used Sohum before with good luck (photo fems). I did the water only and brewed some teas a few times. I ended up with 22 ounces dried cured bud, 4 plants 3' x 3' tent, 520 watts quantum boards. I actually just filled 4 - 20 gallon pots with 10.5 cubic feet of Sohum. I'll be growing more photo fems this grow and amend and grow some auto's the next grow.

Back
Top Bottom