Am I going to run out of room - And more noob questions

Dorr185

420 Member
REQUIRED INFORMATION FOR GROW SUPPORT

What Strain is it? Pure Northern Lights (Genetics: Southern Oregon Seeds) & Blue Cheese (Genetics: Barney's Farm). Both are feminized.
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages? Both hybrids, mostly indica.
How Many Plants? 6
Is it in Vegetative or Flowering Stage? Vegetative
If in Vegetative Stage... How Long? Germinated seeds planted on 11/22/2017. So 39 days from seed.
Indoor or Outdoor? Indoor
Soil or Hydro? Soil
If Soil... What is in your Mix? Roots Organic Original Potting Soil
If Soil... What Size Pot? 7 gallons
Size (Wattage) of Light? How Many? VIPARSPECTRA Reflector-Series 300W LED x 2 and 1 600W HPS in a vented hood.
Is it Air Cooled? I don't think so.
Temperature of Room/Cabinet? Average temp with lights on, 81 degrees, with lights off 64 degrees.
RH of Room/Cabinet? Between 36 and 57
PH of Medium or Reservoir? I hate pH'ing.
Any Pests? Nope
How Often are you Watering? Water on Wednesdays, Feed on Saturdays
Type and Strength of Fertilizers used? General Organics Go Box
Size or Square Footage of Room? 4x2 grow tent

Hello all,

Am I going to run out of room on my current grow? I am currently in a 4x2 tent. I have six plants going. They are all in 7 gallon pots. They are only 39 days from seed, and I was hoping to go 60 days before switching to the flowering phase. I had planned only only doing 4 plants, but the other 2 were healthy, and who am I to kill off a perfectly healthy female cannabis plants? Pic of the current plant in the tent are below.

20171231_145409.jpg

20171231_145401.jpg

20171231_145355.jpg

20171231_145323.jpg

20171231_145215.jpg

20171231_145129.jpg

My friend told me it's already too late that I'm likely to be overcrowded after the stretch even if I switch to flower now, yet alone waiting another three weeks. Is he right? I've been topping and LST'ing, I love the way my plants look, but I'm afraid that they are too bushy and not tall enough to go into flower, so I was hoping to just let them get taller for the next three weeks. Vertically I'm sure I'll be fine as the tent is 6.5 feet tall, but will they bush out too much?

Follow up questions for subsequent grows.

I am running 2 VIPARSPECTRA Reflector-Series 300W LED lights along with 1 600W HPS light. I'm aware this is overkill for a 4x2x6.5 tent. I have a 36x20x62 tent on the way that I will be using as my veg tent going forward. Is one of the Viparspectra's enough light to veg in a tent that size? Or should I put them both in veg tent and just flower with the 600W HPS? Also, the current plants have had all three lights in the tent for the entire veg cycle. Can I take out the LEDS before flower or should I leave them in since the plants are used to having all three lights.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

defoil your plants you will create loads more room in the canopy and light will reach lower nodes creating bud sites wait for them to heal 1 or 2 weeks then flip if u like. then defoiling again at week 3... watch ur tent fill with bud.
leave the leds in they only add to ur spectrum.

also ur plants look a tad over watered. leaves are getting droppy. nothing major but less water means drying out the roots slightly and makes plant stronger and produce more terps n thc.

also ur plants look a tad over watered. leaves are getting droppy. nothing major but less water means drying out the roots slightly and makes plant stronger and produce more terps n thc.

Really? You have anything to back that claim up?

Most growers agree that soil should be allowed to dry out slightly between feeds—this lessens the risk of rot, mould and nutrient burn, and also encourage the roots to grow denser. denser roots better nutrient uptake n better budz. plants should be watered before the roots start to dry out tho.

Your plants look great !! I've grown NL and they are robust plants. They won't outstretch your tent at the height they are now. It looks like you will have a fairly even canopy. Personally, I'd rather have 4 plants, but 6 will do fine. I wouldn't worry about them being too bushy. You'll see what's up 2 weeks after the flip as they flower and stretch.

Hang on to the fan leaves and cut out the lower branches, if you must. Your main objective is to maximise the length of your COLAs and keep them as even as you can. The other buds aren't as important or as much fun.

Welcome Dorr185 ! Nice looking ladies, great work

To answer your first question i'd say no, but it depends heavily on genetic's how much a plant will stretch. You chose Indica hybrids, they will most likely only grow 3feet tall if they are aprox 1.5feet tall when you start to flower. This leaves 3.5 feet in your tent for the grow container, your light and some space between your plants canopy and light for heat dissipation. That's 1 foot for each with 5" of extra space

Rule of thumb is plants double in size when they flower. Some sativas triple in ideal conditions !
take a tape measure in there and take the guesswork out of it by doing some measurements

As far as the lights go, your tent hits a high of 81 with all three lights on so it's not too hot and the plants have not burned so they can take the light intensity.

One 300w in a 3ftx1.6ft gives 60w/1ft squared which is enough for vegging
I'd keep one in the flower tent for the extra watts/spectrum and use one for vegging

Welcome Dorr185 ! Nice looking ladies, great work

To answer your first question i'd say no, but it depends heavily on genetic's how much a plant will stretch. You chose Indica hybrids, they will most likely only grow 3feet tall if they are aprox 1.5feet tall when you start to flower. This leaves 3.5 feet in your tent for the grow container, your light and some space between your plants canopy and light for heat dissipation. That's 1 foot for each with 5" of extra space

Rule of thumb is plants double in size when they flower. Some sativas triple in ideal conditions !
take a tape measure in there and take the guesswork out of it by doing some measurements

As far as the lights go, your tent hits a high of 81 with all three lights on so it's not too hot and the plants have not burned so they can take the light intensity.

One 300w in a 3ftx1.6ft gives 60w/1ft squared which is enough for vegging
I'd keep one in the flower tent for the extra watts/spectrum and use one for vegging

Even though this information is 100% spot on, his plants really aren't 1.5' tall. They are being LST'ed down. Total stem length is total stem length, if has widened his plants out via training it'll kinda fool you with plant height. My pineapple kush is only 10" tall but it's 30" wide, and each cola is about 16-20" wide. So they will double in height based off the cola length, not the plant height. Also I think you are out of room. Yes you can veg longer, but these will widen as well as stretch upwards.

Here's my plants in a 4x4 about a week before flip

420-magazine-mobile830210790.jpg

Here I am 2 weeks in

420-magazine-mobile55367305.jpg

I've done two rounds of strong defol and I also LSTed my plants. I'm not too worried about height, but I'm fucked on space In any other direction.

Thanks for all of the advice!

I want to point out, my tent is actually 4.3x2.8, not 4x2 as I original posted/thought. That's about 50% bigger! Didn't want anyone who read my original post to think they could fit six 7-gallon pots in a 4x2 tent. They probably won't fit.

The droopy leaves was another mistake altogether. I wanted to take pictures, so I turned off all of the lights so there wouldn't be a glare. I think I left them off too long. The only light in the room was three 60W LED's in the ceiling, so I think they were starting to droop how plants do at night time. Here is a pic of them with the lights on, much less droopy. The leaves on top do look a little funny though, kind of like dry skin. Nothing too serious. I'm guessing it's light bleaching, of they are just a litter dryer than the other leaves not right below the lights. I think all three lights work in the tent, but maybe they need to be raised a bit higher than they normally would if there was just one light.

20180102_125855.jpg

20180102_125833.jpg

After thinking it over, I decided the best course of action was to cancel the 36x20x62 I was going to get, and I ordered a 48x48x80 instead. I'm going to make that the flowering tent, and use the current tent as the veg tent. The new tent will be about 50% bigger than what I have now, so that should alleviate some of the concerns I have. Although, the pics I posted today are 48 hours after the pics in the original post and the plants are noticeably bigger. New tent comes Saturday, I think I will set it up, then lollipop the plants removing the small bud sites and some of the fan leaves, and then switch to 12/12 the following Saturday.

Thanks again for all the valuable information!:Namaste:

I want to point out, my tent is actually 4.3x2.8, not 4x2 as I original posted/thought. That's about 50% bigger! Didn't want anyone who read my original post to think they could fit six 7-gallon pots in a 4x2 tent. They probably won't fit.

The droopy leaves was another mistake altogether. I wanted to take pictures, so I turned off all of the lights so there wouldn't be a glare. I think I left them off too long. The only light in the room was three 60W LED's in the ceiling, so I think they were starting to droop how plants do at night time. Here is a pic of them with the lights on, much less droopy. The leaves on top do look a little funny though, kind of like dry skin. Nothing too serious. I'm guessing it's light bleaching, of they are just a litter dryer than the other leaves not right below the lights. I think all three lights work in the tent, but maybe they need to be raised a bit higher than they normally would if there was just one light.

20180102_125855.jpg

20180102_125833.jpg

After thinking it over, I decided the best course of action was to cancel the 36x20x62 I was going to get, and I ordered a 48x48x80 instead. I'm going to make that the flowering tent, and use the current tent as the veg tent. The new tent will be about 50% bigger than what I have now, so that should alleviate some of the concerns I have. Although, the pics I posted today are 48 hours after the pics in the original post and the plants are noticeably bigger. New tent comes Saturday, I think I will set it up, then lollipop the plants removing the small bud sites and some of the fan leaves, and then switch to 12/12 the following Saturday.

That'll work too.

20180102_125855.jpg

20180102_125833.jpg

You'll thank yourself many times over going with the bigger tent. .

I'd start defoliating now, slowly, until the tent comes. Your plants are about the same size as my 4 in my 4x4 before I flipped them and I'm out of space. Just remember that if you grow larger plants they'll all be fighting for the same amount of light and space! I grew in 5 gallons too, I'm scared for you!!

81f4a2ffb2109af609d894e8ad24f1e1.jpg

This is my smallest plant currently. It started smaller than all of yours prior to flip, it's now about 20"x20" of canopy space in the tent. It's also the runt and slowest growing, and stretched barely anything compared to the others. Tread carefully! That's gonna be a jungle.

I'd start defoliating now, slowly, until the tent comes. Your plants are about the same size as my 4 in my 4x4 before I flipped them and I'm out of space. Just remember that if you grow larger plants they'll all be fighting for the same amount of light and space! I grew in 5 gallons too, I'm scared for you!!

81f4a2ffb2109af609d894e8ad24f1e1.jpg

This is my smallest plant currently. It started smaller than all of yours prior to flip, it's now about 20"x20" of canopy space in the tent. It's also the runt and slowest growing, and stretched barely anything compared to the others. Tread carefully! That's gonna be a jungle.

Please don't scare into buying an even bigger tent! My office is only so big. LOL.

I was worried about defoliating now because my plants are finally starting to grow vertically after all the lst'ing. Before when it was just a bush, it was hard to tell what was going to grow up to the light and what was goi my to remain under the canopy. But there are some plants with so many fan leaves they are starting to tangle, and some right on top of bud sites, maybe I will cut those. I bought some trellis netting to help keep things under control.

Worst come to worst, I can just flower in both tents. But I'm really ready to try some new genetics! These were just seeds i had left over in my closet, just getting my feet wet with this run, hoping to really nail it next time.

What strain is that in your tent?

Please don't scare into buying an even bigger tent! My office is only so big. LOL.

I was worried about defoliating now because my plants are finally starting to grow vertically after all the lst'ing. Before when it was just a bush, it was hard to tell what was going to grow up to the light and what was goi my to remain under the canopy. But there are some plants with so many fan leaves they are starting to tangle, and some right on top of bud sites, maybe I will cut those. I bought some trellis netting to help keep things under control.

Worst come to worst, I can just flower in both tents. But I'm really ready to try some new genetics! These were just seeds i had left over in my closet, just getting my feet wet with this run, hoping to really nail it next time.

What strain is that in your tent?

You should look at getting an intake fan for the bottom of your tent and a bit of ducting. They aren't expensive and move a lot of air.

No, they're not. The Iguana Juice is, though. So's Nirvana. I think the Ancient Earth might be, as well, but don't quote me on that.

I'm thinking of switching from AN ph perfect MBG to Iguana Juice for my next grow.

Back
Top Bottom