Am I overwatering? Or is the soil?

BobbyHorn

420 Member
I’m currently trying to grow two plants and they seem to be growing well, on day 15, lower leaves have slight yellowing and leaves are always dropping a bit. I will wait 2-3 days between watering and make sure the pot is light and the soil is dry an inch or two down this time I even checked the drain holes to make sure it was mostly dry near the bottom too, but the leaves still drop dramatically after that. I don’t water enough for it to drain out of the bottom but so the pot has some heft to it. I have given a bit of nutrients in the form of fox farm grow using the suggested amounts as well. Am I really overwatering somehow? Is it a nutrient problem? Is it root rot from muddy soil? I am using organic miracle grow without any time release nutrients. This plant seemed lively and healthy minutes before.
image.jpg

I’m currently trying to grow two plants and they seem to be growing well, on day 15, lower leaves have slight yellowing and leaves are always dropping a bit. I will wait 2-3 days between watering and make sure the pot is light and the soil is dry an inch or two down this time I even checked the drain holes to make sure it was mostly dry near the bottom too, but the leaves still drop dramatically after that. I don’t water enough for it to drain out of the bottom but so the pot has some heft to it. I have given a bit of nutrients in the form of fox farm grow using the suggested amounts as well. Am I really overwatering somehow? Is it a nutrient problem? Is it root rot from muddy soil? I am using organic miracle grow without any time release nutrients. This plant seemed lively and healthy minutes before.
image.jpg
I see errors..from what you stated .Organic Miracle Grow for starters. Adding Nutrients to it right now #2 . Not letting soil dry and possibly watering incorrectly #3.

Up pot to a Canna friendly soil like Fox Farm Happy Frog. 3 or 5 gal smart fabric pot (I'd go 5 gal).

PH your water to 6.3.

Add 33% perlite to soil.

It look like poor drainage, weed doesn't like constantly wet roots. See the raised ridges on the leaves, indicator of over watering or poor drainage.

Y’all most definitely right, I stopped the nutes just in case too and I’ve been letting them dry out as I always do. I figured out the true problem though they are hella rootbound and there was a ring of roots sitting in water at the bottom pretty much. Or at least I hope that’s what’s wrong I might have ripped a couple roots cause they were so stuck we’ll have to wait ig

Being root bound it shouldn't hurt it much repotting.

I'd grab some 5 or 7 gal fabric pots off Amazon. The fabric pots offer good drainage, well oxygenated roots and air pruning roots to prevent root binding.

Just an opinion but I'd grab a bag of Mega Crop fertilizer, no mixing different bottles, just a simple feeding schedule. One bag and done from seed to sack. Runs about $10 a kilo and covers 12 plants easily.

Back
Top Bottom