Amber Trichomes - Reality or a Myth

OlderStoner

I am once again at that stage in my grow where the plants are showing all the signs that they are ready. Lots of red and brown pistils, milky colored trichomes. But according to the articles I'm reading, that big pain relieving, "couch lock" high I'm seeking will only be obtained if I wait for some of the pistils to start turning amber. These two plants have been showing milky trichomes now for about 3 weeks. I examine them closely under a 30x lens almost every morning and there is not yet been even a trace of amber color to show up in the trichomes. This was the same in my grow last year. The smoke turned out great but most of it was that light, heady high, not the deep, narcotic, arthritic pain relief I'm looking for.

So can anyone enlighten me on this. I know the standard answer is "depends on the strain and growing conditions". But what can I use as some measure of time needed to start seeing amber trichomes after the they go from clear to milky? Is it a few weeks or a months before the THC starts to change properties. And when will I know that I waited too long.

Re: Amber Tichomes ... Reality or a Myth

It seems like you have a good understanding of how to watch your trichs. IMHO, keep waiting. They'll turn amber eventually, and will continue to develop in the meantime. I have yet to see a strain that doesn't go amber given enough time. It could just be that your particular strain takes longer to mature. If you're really after that couch-lock effect, just be as patient as possible.

Good luck with your grow!
:Namaste:
-Monkey

im watching my auto closely also have to say they take longer than seed banks say , seeing a couple of ambers now so what ill do is give a bout 5 days leave in the dark for 24 hours on the 5th day then chop her down on the 6th :thumb: i have a 40 x lens and sometimes hard to pick up the ambers, i am ordering a better one 100 x , yours might not be milky ( maybe clear ) get a better lens

good luck

Funny you mentioned that. I recently bought a 60-100x scope. It's a cheap plastic one, paid about $15 US for it. You certainly see with it but the focus wheel on it takes such torque that the only way to use it is to place whatever you want to examine down on a hard surface. You then have to hole this scope very firmly and then looking into it turn the wheel to focus. This totally does not work for viewing a plant in a pot. I'll have to on looking for a higher powered lens that lets me see the plants while they are vertical and growing.

Keep waiting, Amber trichs are a sign that THC production has peaked.The Amber trichs is THC that has decayed somewhat. Some plants take a few weeks longer. Try to be patient and if you can, get someone else to look at it too because sometimes you just don't see what's right in front of you.

I examined the plants again this morning with the 30X lens. On one of the plants and out of the thousands of trichomes I could see, I do believe I saw two of them which looked like they had an amber color to them. I'll watch closely for the next few days. These plants are at day 125 so it should be time. But I will remain patient and see what develops. Either way I am going to harvest within two weeks.

I usually wait until I see a few, then I go ahead and harvest. I don't worry about timing them to taylor the psychedelic effects. I get what I get, but I want to make sure they are fully ripe so I try to wait until I actually see some (or even 1) amber. Also, sometimes they can turn pretty quickly and you might go from a suspected amber trich here or there to half of them amber in just a couple days. Also remember, potency will increase slightly as it cures too. ;)

As you will see on here (and any other growing site), the listed finishing times are ALWAYS optimistic. If it says it's an 8-week flowering strain, it usually takes 9+ weeks to truly finish. Lastly, not sure what nutrients you are using, but you could also try applying a small amount of GH dry Koolbloom to push it to finish. One or two modest applications should do it, especially if they truly are close.

I examined the plants again this morning with the 30X lens. On one of the plants and out of the thousands of trichomes I could see, I do believe I saw two of them which looked like they had an amber color to them. I'll watch closely for the next few days. These plants are at day 125 so it should be time. But I will remain patient and see what develops. Either way I am going to harvest within two weeks.

you will soon learn to focus in , try different buds i had one or 2 on one then like 40/60 on another , so i cut that bud off lol , they actually more or less light up like little lamps among the clouds :cheesygrinsmiley:

oh, and those little, cheap hand-microscopes aren't worth hitting with a hammer IMO. They are crappy with plastic lenses, poorly fit plastic housings and are ridiculous to try and hold steady. A 40X loupe or a stand-type USB scope ftw.

Hell, considering how important it is to be able to see the trichomes and clearly delineate exactly where they are in their growth, you'd think someone would have invented a GREAT trichome scope. Yet, despite the proclaimed "green rush" and everyone running to market with their new lights, new nutrients and trying to carve out their little market share, no one has yet to develop a really good, sturdy, wide FOV, easily-used scope. There really isn't a product that just fits the bill. Everyone I've talked to seems to have found something that 'works', but why not have something made for the job that is indispensable. All the cheap efforts priced in the $10-$20 range are crap. Make something at a price point that could be a step between the loupe and a good USB stand jobber. Something in the $40-$50 range that actually works easily and well.

Sorry, rant over... :lot-o-toke:

I use a 40x loupe too and have found that is the best choice for me right now too. It works, but I want better too, and it's so possible. Someone just needs to do it. No doubt they could even have it assembled in China, I don't care. Call it a trich-scope, resin-illuminator, whatever. Even folks like us who have a workable solution in place would most likely get one...if they worked. Add an attachment to take pictures, make it a package instead of an item. The possibilities are all over the place.

I have one of the usb scopes. bought a 10' usb extension cable at the same time and can go to any plant in the room. Just have to be able to see the monitor. It works really well for this purpose. I had an old pc sitting in the corner with winblows XP. I don't think any of the usb scopes on ebay or amazon worked on win 7 or 8. It says it goes to like 200x, but that is not true, but doesn't matter because that is too close anyway, default is fine. I could take some pics with it if someone wants to see how well/little it works.

I'm having difficulty seeing amber trichomes as well. I put AK-48 and Northern Lights from Nirvana into 12/12 on May 21st. Both are listed as 7-9 week strains. Tomorrow will be 11 weeks. Lots of cloudy, with an occasional clear head. Not a sign of amber.

I've read that the listed time frames are "optimistic" on seed sites, but is it normal for them to go this much past that window?

How long did it take you from the flip to seeing buds?

Well, that is a good question. I really don't know for sure, but I think 2 weeks would be a fair estimate.

I really hadn't considered that the 7-9 would be from first seeing buds. Feeling a bit better now. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom