Amith's First Coco Grow: OG Kush & Locals, 2021, RSA

amith

Greetings 420Mag members.

This is my first grow journal, first coco grow and first seedbank seed.

The Main Attration is a feminized OG kush plant from Bulkseedbank

There are also 8 other plants.
Their mission is to grow out ahead of the og kush testing the waters and making sure its safe for the OG KUSH.
Why? Because I spent money on the OG KUSH and the other seeds are free. I have lots of them.
Also I bought single seeds. So I only had one Og Kush seed.
Other seeds will be grown out after winter. ( sour d , gelato samba , psychedelic, hypnotic )

The local 8 are regular. 4 "local" + 4 unknown
For "local" I don't know the strain name because everyone calls it local as if local is the strain name. Maybe it is lol
These seeds are also 5 years old stored in the fridge.

For Unknown I thought they were swazi skunk but they are looking different from each other. the cups are labeled skunk

I will keep 1 plant from the local
and 1 from unknowns once I can determine gender

SO I will end up with three

1 Og kush
1 local
1 unknown

Answering the questions from the how-to-make-a-grow-journal thread :

What strain is it?
"OG Kush" + 4 "local" + 4 "unknown"

Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages?

OG kush 25% SATIVA – 75% INDICA
Others are unknown

Is it in Veg or Flower stage?
Veg

If in Veg... For how long?

locals > 2weeks
Unknown > 11 days
OG kush > 5 days from reaching the surface and 8 days from seed

Indoor or outdoor?
Outdoor controlled.
I keep it in veg by giving extra light late at night to interrupt their dark cycle.
Bring them inside if outside weather is problematic and to keep them warm at night.
At night they stay inside a cupboard with a fan and incandescent light for warmth.
We are approaching winter so nights are getting a little colder.

Soil or Hydro?
Coco hydro

If soil... What size pot?
For now they are in polystyrene cups (SOLO CUPS)
The OG Kush will have a 10 litre (2,64172 gallon) airpot

For the others. we will cross that bridge when we get there.

Any Pests ? None yet. Do nosy neighbors count?

How often are you watering?
Once a day at night.

Type and strength of ferts used?

EHG Easy Hydro Grow
three part

COOO micro
grow
bloom

2.5 ml of each for 10 litres water

I put 10 drops each for 2 liter(half gallon) water

The local will be starting 30 drops per 2 liters water.
water is rain water.
My collected rain water has a ph of 6

after adding nutes it stays the same.

I am feeding at ph6

I am using 100% coco.
I had a 5kg brick.
It was hydrated with rain water.
then
It was washed twice.
then
It was buffered twice for 8 hours each time.

The locals were soaked in distilled water for 24 hours then relocated to a paper towel stored in a plastic container stored in a box then put behind the fridge where its warm.
This was before I had my grow supplies. It took longer than anticipated to arrive so they were inside the container longer then they should have been. they broke out of the paper towel and grew in the container trying to get out from there. I took the out the box and they got green from the room light

They were transplanted into coco in a cup. and fed once every other day and then everyday.
The others went through a similar process minus being in the container too long.

local day 6
unknown day 3

local day 11
unknown day 8
Og kush day 2
Local day 12
unknown day 9
og kush day 3

Today

Close up o the Og kush :

One of the locals

All four are showing that.

I think maybe since they bigger they might need to be fed twice daily?
I was suppose to upgrade to triple the nute strength now that they at 2 weeks. But am worried now. So for today I fed alot more to get alot of runoff ,hopefully flushing any salt build up. and tomorrow I will start the stronger nute dose for the locals.

Any Pests ? None yet. Do nosy neighbors count?
:rofl:
For "local" I don't know the strain name because everyone calls it local as if local is the strain name.
I have a sneaking suspicion that what people call "local", or " skunk", or Cali O and various others are simply cultivated Swaz... which is brick weed basically... it comes compressed across the border from Swaziland. That's the most common varietal I have found from street dealers and online sellers too. So if it is bag seed, I would imagine it is likely Swaz, which is different from Swazi Gold. Whatever it is, you will cut your teeth on them as you say. Killing expensive seeds with ineptitude is depressing, ask me lol.

Congrats and good luck on the grow!

Congrats and good luck on the grow!
Thanks or stopping by. I'm going to need all the luck or sure lol.

Killing expensive seeds with ineptitude is depressing, ask me lol.

Sorry about your loss. I can just image thato_O:(
I have a sneaking suspicion that what people call "local", or " skunk", or Cali O and various others are simply cultivated Swaz
I grew out swazi , local , and skunk. they very different. Swazi has a flowery smell. skunk has a strong not so pleasant but not so bad either smell. The skunk high is very strong compared to swazi. local isn't that strong and has a different smell too.
There's also a strain here that people are calling purple haze. Doubt its the same as the real purple haze. I have heard of cheese as well.
All I can do is try to get them all.:yummy:

Looking good Amith, you look well organized and the babies are looking cute. Are you concerned that the nutes are too much for the babies? Also, what supplementary light are you using. Your temps can go quite low if I am correct. How do you plan to manage temperature for the plants? I ask because I am considering an experimental window weed grow but I don't have supplementary lighting. What lighting are you using and how are you using it exactly?

Looking good Amith, you look well organized and the babies are looking cute. Are you concerned that the nutes are too much for the babies? Also, what supplementary light are you using. Your temps can go quite low if I am correct. How do you plan to manage temperature for the plants? I ask because I am considering an experimental window weed grow but I don't have supplementary lighting. What lighting are you using and how are you using it exactly?

Hi Carmen

Check out this link:

You don't need very powerful lights to keep them in veg.

For My grow.
They stay out during the day if the weather is okay.If its raining or too cold then they will stay near a window. During the night they stay in a cupboard.

Here is my set up :

The light is a 40 watt incandescent bulb. Terrible efficiency if used for just light but excellent if used for both light and heat. They use them in incubators too. the light is inexpensive. I forgot the price. When the plant gets bigger i will move the light around the plant slowly everyday at 10pm by hand. Making sure every leaf gets a good dose of light. This will keep them in veg. I will tape up that hot choc container to block out the light when its time for flower.

Last night outside went as low as 10c . my house was 17 c and the cupboard was 24c . So it appears to be working.
Day time temperatures aren't bad. Just got to keep them warm at night.

May :

I believe the problem is salt build up. I will post pics of the damaged leaves soon.
I am wondering if maybe I didn't wash the coco thoroughly enough as you use the same nutes and don't have this problem.

I believe the problem is salt build up. I will post pics of the damaged leaves soon.
I am wondering if maybe I didn't wash the coco thoroughly enough as you use the same nutes and don't have this problem.
I don't know enough about the medium unfortunately. I grew in a prepared mixture of coco-perlite, so it didn't require any washing. I hope you find your happy medium soon. I like the look of your setup, thanks for sharing it.

Hey Amith,

Saw your journal and thought I would jump in and say hi. I’m a soil grower but from everything I’ve read about coco the info indicates using quarter strength nutes at every feeding plus feed to 10% runoff each time helps to rinse out some old nutes and deliver fresh nutes. Cal-mag is needed for coco, do you have a cal-mag product? Maybe check your labels to see because most nutes are only NPK but the plant needs NPK plus calcium & magnesium. Also coco is drain to waste hydro so hydro rules apply set ph to 5.8. When you mix your soup cal-mag should be added first stir and wait 10 minutes, add your NPK stir and wait then check and adjust ph to 5.8 and feed

feed 1X per day but when the plant is large feed 2X per day and in flower feed 3X per day

I don't know enough about the medium unfortunately. I grew in a prepared mixture of coco-perlite, so it didn't require any washing. I hope you find your happy medium soon. I like the look of your setup, thanks for sharing it.
Have you started your grow yet?

Hey Amith,

Saw your journal and thought I would jump in and say hi. I’m a soil grower but from everything I’ve read about coco the info indicates using quarter strength nutes at every feeding plus feed to 10% runoff each time helps to rinse out some old nutes and deliver fresh nutes. Cal-mag is needed for coco, do you have a cal-mag product? Maybe check your labels to see because most nutes are only NPK but the plant needs NPK plus calcium & magnesium. Also coco is drain to waste hydro so hydro rules apply set ph to 5.8. When you mix your soup cal-mag should be added first stir and wait 10 minutes, add your NPK stir and wait then check and adjust ph to 5.8 and feed

feed 1X per day but when the plant is large feed 2X per day and in flower feed 3X per day
Hi there .
Thanks for stopping by.

I do have a calmag product. But only used it for buffering.
The micro from the three part nutes is coco specific. meaning it has more cal mag and less potassium.

I will do an experiment soon with some plants having weaker nutrient solution and see if it improves things.

Hi 420 Community.

I have been busy lately so I didn't get much time to update this journal or sort out a mosquito net to try and protect against leaf miners. So the plants stayed indoors near a window lately. As a result of reduced sunlight the growth was also reduced. I also did a total transplant of some of the plants to see if it makes a difference.

Here is some of the damage from were we left off.

From Searching the net it appears those white lines are leaf miners.
I had to cut out the parts of the leaves that had it.
I took a mosquito net (the one you just hang over a bed)and tried to rig it up outside to protect against leaf miner flies.
The wind was a problem. I was going to use wire to help keep the net from moving but got busy.

I prepared some new coco.
This time I used a Sieve to separate the smaller peat from the bigger coco. More than half was peat.
If peat is bad for growing then that explains a lot.

I did a full transplant on some plants. I took the plant out the container and lowered it into water and took it out and repeated until most of the coco was removed and only mostly roots were left.

There was initial stunted growth but the transplanted plants look better that the not transplanted plants.

So now we are here:

I been taking them outside again. Since tomorrow is the start of coldest month there should be less leaf miner flies. And it looks like my night time cupboard strategy is working so far for growing through the winter.

So lets finish this Journal.

Here is the "local" about a week or so before harvest

Here is another local. I didnt have enough coco so I kept it in the small container. The wind kept blowing over all the plants. It recently even killed two of my new seedlings :( .So I put it in another container just for support.

The Unknown is now a confirmed "skunk".
Here it is

Here is the OG Kush:

The other plants where all male except one which was female turned hermie. so there are some rogue seeds here and there.

Heres the Og kush before harvest:

I was looking through a microscope and the trichomes were getting orange. I was hoping for fatter buds :(

Now for the Harvest

Heres the local:

Heres the skunk

Heres the Og Kush

I wish I had a better yield for the og kush. On the bright side I have successfully grown weed through the winter.

The current grow is:

clones of the og kush , local and skunk.
Sour diesel and psychedelic seedlings currently growing.

I lost a gelato samba seedling and hypnotic seedling to the heavy winds. :eek:o_O.

Back
Top Bottom