AMK's Hempy Tomato Experiment

Howdy! A few weeks ago, I found a tomato seedling sticking up out of the soil my chilis are growing in. I didn't want the tomato taking over my chilis, so I ripped it out of the dirt. To my amazement, its roots were still attached! This surprised me, because I was NOT gentle with the tomato (henceforth I shall call this "mater"). I wasn't sure if the mater was going to make it or not, but I had a think: I could try growing a hyrdo mater! Well, I grabbed a gallon pot, filled it with perlite, ever-so-carefully planted the mater in it. This "assembly" I placed into a stainless bowl I had lying around, that would serve as a reservoir. I snipped the leaves, treating the mater like a canna clone, lol. I can't argue with the results so far. She's GREEN! :)

11 November, day of transplant, I think. She's very droopy here. I had, after all, just ripped her out of the dirt rather mercilessly.
HydroMater01.jpg

This morning's shot of her. It's overcast and drizzling this morning. I think it rained all night. She's doing LOADS better, and has quite a bit new growth. :)

HydroMater02.jpg

For nutes, I've been using Alaska brand Fish Fertilizer, 5-1-1. I also gave it a little rooting powder, careful not to get it on the stalk. On a mater, each little hair on the plant has the potential to become a root, is what I was taught.

I do not know yet if this is going to be her final pot. I kind of doubt it, and am anticipating a transplant, possibly into a 5-gallon bucket yet. I think that would be easier to do for keeping it hempy, than what I've got set up.

Amazingly, she hasn't lost any leaves yet, instead has grown new leaves. :)

I really hope the current nasty weather doesn't hurt my poor little tomato. Last night it got down to 49°F (9.5°C)! Today it's back up to about 65°F already.

I have a tomato along side the house in the shade of all places, where its growing new flowers in late November. I am pondering how to snag clipping off of it, and keep that going through the winter. I seriously doubt this makes it. I kind of hope it does. Would be a tree by next year.

Tomatoes take to cuttings all the time. Each little hair on a tomato plant can become a root. I think I read that on Wikipedia. You could use rooting powder if you wanted, do it same as medicine plant. You could keep a cutting each in your veg and flower spaces, see which does better. Use that one, to put cuttings in then. ;)

I see I am going to have to grab some fresh pics tomorrow. Mater is doing GREAT. She's taller, got roots coming out the bottom, nice and green. I'm gonna have to wrap the bottom of the pot, before setting it in bowl, with cheesecloth, or some other porous material, to keep the perlite in teh bottom of the pot.

Tomatoes come in two varieties. Determinate and indeterminate. You can think of determinate like Auto cannabis strains and indeterminate like photoperiod strains. Tomato and Cannabis are really related! My tomato plants are 4 years old. I cloned five for my winter plants in the basement. My plants are the indeterminate variety, which is why I can keep them growing for four years. They are the vine type tomato, not a bush type. Bush type have a certain lifetime. Same reason you can't clone a Cannabis Auto.

The commercial greenhouse tomato growers grow indeterminate type. Their vines can get to 50 feet long and the growers lay them along side the plant rows, almost the length of the greenhouse. The commercial house I visited is almost as long as a football field. It is amazing to see a couple hundred tomato plants in the fall in the commercial houses. Vines are laid on top of each other a couple feet high and wide along the plants. My vines only get about 15 to 20 feet long outside. I keep them short in the basement only to clone in the spring for my outside recycling hempy system on my back deck, not for tomatoes. Maybe my Mars II 700 watt LED will get me some tomatoes this year. Usually they are under 250 actual watt CFLs grow lights and no blossoms make it fully to fruit. My basement tomato plants will start producing flowers and tomatoes right away when I put them outside, no waiting for 50 - 60 days for blooms. Wife says it's a lot of work for an old man, but I like tomatoes in April. If I grew from Homed Epot plants there would be tomatoes in July, seed June, maybe. It gets below 0 here. I'd grow tomatoes year round in the Everglades.

I'll tell you one thing for sure. It is very easy to start a tomato cutting (clone). Much easier than a cannabis cutting.

WJ

Great information, wildjim! Thank you for sharing. Much to keep in mind, I hadn't known.

yea man. I tried growing tomatoes for 30 years in soil. never got a tomato big enough for a sandwich. So I went to a greenhouse to see how they do it. They used coco and the Sun. No buckets, just bags. They had drippers constantly feeding. I designed my recycling hempy after their system. I grow six plants a year, two different ones, Big Boy and Better Boy. Get about 100 lbs of tomatoes every year. Some get over a pound. One slice tomato sandwiches. I give maximum nutes and feed CaliMagic to protect from blossom end rot. Started growing my medicine last spring. Hempy and autos are my choices for size and growing area. My present plant, a Fast and Vast Auto, is breaking the rules. I use max nutes with my meds too. Not the same nutes though. Might experiment and use my tomato nutes next grow. The lady is 106 days old and 5' 3" tall. Just in week 2 of flower. The plans of mice and men...

WJ

Got new pictures! Mater is very happy. :)

SAM_1796.JPG
SAM_1797.JPG
SAM_17981.JPG

I apologize for not updating this or my starfruit tree threads in a while. Both are doing terrifically. This tomato plant has produced four small but very flavorful tomatoes so far, three of which I gave to a neighbor after he gave me some fried fish. :) The plant now has a dozen or so bright green, small, maters. Two of the green maters have been nibbled on by evil little four-legged furry critters of some sort, so I plucked them off. The plant is about 60cm in height now, and I've put a cage on it, and lots of hemp twine to tie it up and support the weight of all the maters. Even small, in number they have much mass, but small stems. Plant is quite healthy, mostly green, but I think I need to flush the solution it's in, and give it fresh nutes. I wish I had photos, but I don't have any at the moment.

Tomato blossoms need to be pollinated. The wind does this outside. Inside, it is up to us! Both male and female parts are in each flower. We just need to "tickle" the tomatoes (tap) to get the parts to touch and pollinate for fruit. I drum my fingers along larger branches to pollinate as many flowers as possible at once. If in doubt, tickle more! Be sure to tickle daily!

I have heard of this method and am glad it works for you. I'm a farm girl and a fan of working with bare hands. Bottom line is, whatever works!!! :)

I don't know if you'll ever see this post, since you haven't visited the forum in several months. But, just in case you are set up to receive email notifications of new activity in your threads, I thought I would post to ask how your hempy tomato grow turned out. Do you feel the plant produced about as much as a soil-grown would have? Was it worth however much effort you put into it? Would you do it again (are you doing it again, lol)?

So sorry haven't been around for SOOOOOOO long. IIRC, I got one small tomato from that plant.

I don't know if you'll ever see this post, since you haven't visited the forum in several months. But, just in case you are set up to receive email notifications of new activity in your threads, I thought I would post to ask how your hempy tomato grow turned out. Do you feel the plant produced about as much as a soil-grown would have? Was it worth however much effort you put into it? Would you do it again (are you doing it again, lol)?

Heya @TorturedSoul :high-five:

Ran across this thread and thought I would share my hempy tomato grow from last year. It was totally worth it.
A98C3EB7-B1CE-468E-B480-A8953D9A5D23.jpeg

99010C99-19B0-41E1-A665-2A8630BD819B.jpeg

88436435-49D4-4DE3-8B2C-24909EC792DD.jpeg

Must have pulled >100lbs
B4B86F42-4AF9-4818-B804-C1BB0C4969B2.jpeg

And lots of hempy peppers too!
A91CB678-FDE2-4CDA-8761-987B744846CE.jpeg

F8B45805-A33C-4D95-8926-643C665B11D8.jpeg

Doing it again this year
6E73385F-7387-46C7-B7C1-51763FEFD16F.jpeg
A9FA50D0-CF2C-406B-ACA6-9EEB07D294AA.jpeg

Four varieties - will be maintained as single leaders and two will spiral up each cage.

Go for it! :headbanger:

my garden plans have crashed and burned. Seeds failed togerminate. They were a few years old - I thought. The "packed for:" date line on the packets was stamped above another of same, that had been... stamped out until it couldn't be read. I noticed the other day that one packet had a piece of white tape or something on it, with the "packed for" stamped on the white. "Great," I thought, "It was packed for 2014 instead of 2015." Then I worked at the thing until I was able to peel it up without destroying the packet, as I was wondering whether that was the case or the company had just used the white tape to make the date stamp easier to read.

Yes, and no. Yes, they'd covered an older date but, no, it wasn't 2014. It was 2008 :rolleyes: . Explains much. Don't buy discount seeds at Big Lots, I guess. Wasn't able to get starter plants, because nurseries and greenhouses weren't considered to b eessential businesses and, therefore, got closed down. Shame - with hte wide open outdoor spaces, and the only customer interaction being at the checkout counter, people would have been safer there than atgrocery stores. Now - at least here - grocery store employees are beginning to sicken at an alarmingly increasing rate. While, ironically, the corporate sons of bitches who run the gorcery stores have begun stating that they'll be ending the wage premiums for those employees real soon now, because states are beginning to instruct businesses in general to reopen. Just another example of the madness, I guess. I wish thta, instead of splitting my ruin-the-economy check between some irate creditors and my mother, I had chosen to spend a third of it on an eye exam and a pair of eyeglasses, and the rest on a better shotgun. Then, at least, I would have a (better) chance of successfully robbing one of those corporate chain grocery stores the next time I got really hungry. I'd have even tried pretty hard to not shoot any employees while I was loading my backpack up with food. Er... Non-salaried employees, that is. F*ck the mnagement of corporate businesses, them bastards know the score.

I sincerely wish that a bunch of sick people, combined with those who are at the end of their rope and contemplating suicide and the odd misfit who thinks reality is a video game and just wants to shoot people for real... would pick a day and gatecrash boardrooms, management offices, and what the h*ll, no few political offices while they're at it... and do the world a shit-ton of good. If they all did it on the same day, the police (etc.) would only be able to stop a small fraction of those potential heroes and heroines.

Back
Top Bottom