Amsterdam Travel Guide

No problem man. I am going to be in Paris for this upcoming New Years, and am then moving on to Amsterdam to finsih up my vacation, so I am definately in the mood to talk about such things :)
Just to inform you, Amsterdam, like Paris, is an expensive city. FIrst time travelers always bust their budgets, it's almost unavoidable. Here's a few tips on how to travel and live hapily in Amsterdam without spending all of your money in one day....
1. Cook your own food. If you are in a hostel that has a Kitchen, use it! You will save so much money if you meet up with some people and split the cost of some food that yuo cook. In Paris, I split the bill with 2 other folks for a whole roasted chicken, some boulon cubes, thai noodles, and some fresh veggies. We made some deliscopus chicken noodle soup and it was extremely cheap.
2. Eat Middle Eastern food. If you can't cook your own food, your cheapest bet is middle eastern food. In Western Europe, middle eastern food is THE cheap food to buy (Like the cheap mexican restauraunts in California). There is a fallafal stand on almost every corner, where you can buy pita bread stuffed with meat and veggies for way cheap.
3. WALK! Only suckers take taxi's. Europes public transportation is so incredible, there is no need to pay a taxi driver to bring you somewhere. I can walk across Amsterdam in about 30 minutes, from one end to the other, or I can hop onto their metro and get there even faster. Walking also allows you to see parts of the city that you would never had seen if you were stuck in a cab. In Paris, you dont need to WORRY about getting lost. There is ALWAS a Metro (IE: Subway) station nearby. one of my favorite activities to do in Paris is to pick a street and walk down it for miles. When I had no idea where I am, I locate a Metro station (and all metro stations have huge map displays) and take it back to my Hostel.
4. Drink wine! In Paris, WINE is cheaper than soda pop. You'd be amazed how happily you can get by buying a fresh loaf of french bread, some deliscous french cheese, and a bottle of wine can satisfy you all day until dinner.
5. Buy small amounts of weed. I know, I know, a blasphemous thing to say about Amsterdam. But take it from me....the more you buy, the less you will be able to sample the variety. If you have a limited budget dont waste it buying tons of one type of weed. Instead, buy small amounts of diferent types of weed. EVERY TIME I go to Amsterdam, I ALWAYS have leftover weed. It's easy to think you will smoke it all befoer you go....but there is only so much Amsterdam strength weed you can puff before you freaking pass out. Buying in small amounts allows you to find unique strains and gives you the variety that, for the most part, is lacking in the United States. Also, do NOT be afraid to share a joint or bowl with a fellow traveler, as they will most certainly share their stash with you later on.
6. COnvert lareg sums of money at once. WHen you convert American dollars into Euros, you will awlays lose money. Not only is the Euro about 20 cents MORE valuable than the dollar right now (Menaing you get 80 Euro Cents for every American Dollar), but every time you exchange currency, you are charged a fee on top of the exchange rate. It's more economical then to exchange large sums of money at one time, as oposed to making several smaller transactions, paying those fees each and every time. This being said, when you withdrawl money from the ATM's in Europe, withdraw larger sums (most machines charge 6 Euros or MORE for foreign account access EACH TIME you withdraw money) to save money. Keep however much money you feel comfortable carrying on you, and the rest hidden away in a money belt or similar device. Traevlers checks are a must when I travel, I usualy get about 400 in Travelers checks. 200 is used as emergency funds, the other 200 is used at the begining of my trip when I land in the airport. I immedtialey cash in the 200 dollar travelers checks at the airport so I have a nice chunk of local curerncy before i leave the airport. DOnt exchange too much money in the airport however, as the airport has the WORST exchange rates available.
7. Be descriminating in where you go. Amsterdam is chock full of Coffeee shops. That does NOT mean that they are ALL good. Chances are, if you get off the train at the main station, and directly across is a coffee chop, that shop is probably over priced and rude. They dont need to compete with other business when anxious American smokers rush into the fiurst club that meets their eyes, as opposed to walking down he street 2 block and seeing the cannabis cup contenders establishments. Do some research before you leave and locate the best clubs in Amsterdam. There are MANY, and you should visit them. Walking into the first club you see is very tempting, boy do I know...but why spend double the money on shitty or questionable weed when you could be spending less money on fantastic strains that contended for the cannabis cup in well etablished clubs that exist due to their high quality grass and friendly customer service?
8. Roll your own joints. Yes, they do sell packs of joints at some places, and it's very conveninet to be able to walk in and buy a 4 pack of stadium (baseball bat) joints. But.....theres no way of telling the quality of weed that went into the joint. It's most likely just the shake from the weed they sell. Instead, roll some fatties of your own to save cost and experience the true strength and representation of Amsterdam Weed. Every coffeeshiop I went to had a display rack of Joint Papers of all different varieties. You didnt have to pay for them, you just walked up and peeled whichever paper you wanted to use from its container, and go back to your atble tor oll a joint. It's almost like asking for a ketchup bottle at Dennys'......it's simply part of the meal ;-) Also, remember to tell someone you are about to share a joint wiht that it is pure weed. MOst Europeans I met rolled their weed with tobacco, and it's curtious to let them know that there is no tobaco in your joint.
9. Possibly the best budget byusting advice I can give you: make copies of ALL OF YOUR DOCUEMNTS, including:
passport, travelers checks, credit cards, drivers liscence, student card, hostel/hotel reservations, airplane tickets, and travel itinerary. Let me tell you why this is a budget saver; one time, while traveling in Germany, a very skilled pick pocket managed to snatch my airplane ticket home. I had previousley caught a pickpocket at the train station trying to liberate me of my wallet, but a quick punch to the kidneys made him run off. However, someone with more skill managed to lift my ticket. Even though I had purhased the ticket, it cost me 90 Euros to reprint it. That's 90 Euros.....at 20 euros a night for a hostel, and about 20 a day I would need to survive, thats 2 more days in Europe I could have spent, now gone because I was careless. In the event that your passport, travelers checks, or ticket are stolen, have COPIES, all organized and kept together, so you can quickly, and cost efficiently, get those items back. I ALWAYS carry copies of those documents, organized and placed in a plastic ziplock bag, burried deep in my luggage....and I also leave a second copy of everything wth a trusted individual at home (Mom, for me). So if my luggage is stolen, or I somehow lose posession of MY copies, I know someone back home can fax or email me another copy.
-PM

great info.

you say 20 euros a day, so if i were to save $2000 american, and that would go into every single expense for the trip, my plane ticket ect, maybe be a courier, then go to amsterdam and stay in a hostel, would $2000 make it long enough to stay a month in amsterdam happily? i know its sort of hard to say how much money is needed, but from the times you have been there do you think 2 grand is good? it would be nice to have enough money that i wouldnt have to worry about the cost of everything so much. so i figure i might as well just keep saving and make the trip worth while by staying a month and having a good amount of money. :)

Schnauzer, I PERSONALY can live on 20 bucks a day, but i am an expoerience Eurpean backpacker, and it all depends on personal taste. Lets some budgeting right now, and see what you will need. Keep in mind that this budget changes the more "comfortable" your trip becomes (IN other words, more expensive if you chose 6 bedded dorm over a 12 bedded dorm, hotel over hostel, one month over 2 weeks, etc).
1. FLight - Lets say you fly into and out of Amsterdam. That's about, after taxes and buying STUDENT tickets....600 bucks if you get it early enough. FLights may be cheaper if you fly into and out fo Paris. I do that from time to tie....I'll fly into Paris, stay there a few days, go to Amsteradm, then return to paris and fly home. "Open Ended Tickets" are also an opion, where you fly into a one city, and leave from another.

2. Lodging: With tax, lets estimate high and say it's 25 bucks a night for a 12 bedded Hostel. One month is roughly 30 days, depending on when you are going. That's 750 bucks for a month's loding. So, already you need to have saved up:
1,350 bucks, just to get there and sleep there. Every other expense is what I refer to as "gravy".

SO lets budget out your daily activitgies. Factor in about 15 bucks a day for food; this means you cook your own food and eat out only at cheap places maybe once every other day.
You might also want to put away at least 10 bucks to 20 bucks for daily weed purchases. I know it doesnt sound like a lot of money, and it certainly wont buy you mountains of pot. but it will buy you some fat nugs or some bomb hash.

For a comfortable trip, I'd budget in about 30 bucks a day (That's what I usualy budget in for my trips), 40 for the luxerious trip. 20 is really the bare bones level of enjoyment.

At 30 bucks a day, for a month, you'll wind up budgeting, after plane ticket and hostel payment has been secured, 900 bucks for a month in Amsterdam (30 days).
So, TOTAL BILL at budgeting for 30 bucks a day, for 30 days, including hostel and plane ticket, comes to: 2,250.
You can probably have a very enjoyable trip for 2 grand, you just have to really watch what you spend. If you want more flexability in your trip, then shoot for as close to 2,500 as possible. OR, aim for fewer days. TO be COMPLETELY HONEST, AMsterdam tends to burn you out after more than 2 weeks. DOnt get me wrong...I LOVE marijuana, and AMsterdam is mecca.....but getting blitzed to the point of passing out and eating and sleeping all day tends to get old fairly quickly, especially when you can be doing the exact same thing at your home and not spending a fortune in another country. 3 weeks would be way more than enough time to spend in Amsterdam, and 2 and a half weeks is a much better time frame for 2 grand than trying to squeeze in a month, and also an excellent time for a first time tarveler, as when you get home you will already be strategizing how to make your NEXT trip moer affordable, not making the same mistakes you (and myself) always make the first trip :). Keeping the flight and hostel prices the same, at 30 bucks a day you only have to save up around 1,900 for 18 days in Amsterdam (2 and a half weeks). 30 bucks a day, while keeping an eye out for how uch you spend, is MUCH more comfortable than 20 bucks a day ;-) If you save up to 2 grand, you can raise your budget or treat yourself every once and a while to a hotel room or a nie meal, wheras you couldnt if you went on a longer trip.
BOttom Line: Decide how much money you can realisticly save up for your trip, THEN decide how long you want to stay for and how comfortable you want to be as that will depend on how much money you can save. Im spending 10 days in Europe for New Years. 4 days in paris, and 6 in Amsterdam. I'm staying in hostels the entire time. I plan to have 2,300 bucks to spend. Thats a lot of money for a short time, but I am planning for a luxerious trip this time. I'm not backpacking through Europe this time and I know my way arouind Amsterdam pretty well. Plus, having backpacked the cheap way for yeas, I am budgeting in a LOT of padding so I acn really live it up. It all depends on how much you are willing to spend :)
-PM
-PM

i love reading these posts, pumps me up for when i really make the trip, plus alot of info that helps my planning :)

i think i might go with the 2 week or 2 1/2 week trip with 2 grand or so now so i can be a little more open on the cash flow when im out there. are hotels alot more expensive then hostels? im not sure how ill be in a room with 6-12 other people lol, i figured it would be a good experience and a way to get to know people, but if i get out there and end up not liking the lack of privacy i wouldnt want to be stuck like that the entire trip. if hotels arent a crazy price i might think about that. if it was like $100 a night that would deff be out of the question. $1400 for 2 weeks lol

Well, I'd recomend staying in a 4 - 6 beded room in the hostel. The goal is you will only be sleeping there. The majority of your time SHOULD be spent out in the city, exploring, smoking, and enjoying where you are. I hardly egver spoke to anyone who was in my room because I was going to my roojm to sleep or change, that's it. I talked to TONS of people in the kitchen/lobbuy area though, people from ALL OVER the globe. In any event, Hotels are a lot more expensive, at LEAST 110 Euros a night for the cheap ones near or in the red light district, and I wouldn't recomend that area. Check out this web page to get REALLY pumped up about europe. THeir message board for European travel are amazing with excellent search features to find exactly what you are interested in, and their information is top notch. www.eurotrip.com (They were around long before the movie came out).
-PM

I just read your story plus replies. I am living in Amsterdam whole my live and must tell you something about buying the 5 grams. It's illegal to carry more then 4,3 gram on the street. 5 grams is acceptable according to the police. When you carry more.. you can be considered a dealer.
Coffee shops not have more then 30 grams in stock.. that's behind the counter. We all know that, when a couple of tourists come and buy a few bags.. the 30 grams is gone.. That's why coffee shops have a little more wich is "gedoogd" (means something like; we from the police know about it but will not do anything about as long as you guys don't give us any trouble). Also the shop has a stass place nearby. From time to time you see the same person go out and came back a little later into the shop with a sportybag to refill the supplies. (That's the guy you should rob.. heheh.. ;-) )

cris said:
I just got my tickets booked for the end of May 2007. I'll be making my way from Rome to Prague in about 21 days. I plan on getting a Eurail Pass to make my way through Europe. Would this make more sense than just buying tickets when I need them?

What is the proper ettiquite on using pieces in the coffeshops? I suck ass at rolling joints and was hoping to smoke some prime glass pieces when there.

Traveling alone, did you meet other people that you would go out to shops/bars with?

You can also smoke pipe. You can buy them very cheap at almost every corner of the street. :smokin:

Back
Top Bottom