Amy Gardner’s High Brix Dreams

Hmmm... trying to remember where i started, or a good spot to give you a quick overview...

@InTheShed this is probably as good a place to start as any...

What is Brix?
The Four Foundations

Then the joint journal that doc did with DS, which I’m referencing as I go here too. I’ll seek out the summary posts for you. It goes for pages of chatter with no action for a while at the start, because well, there’s nothing to do for about a month after planting!

Top of the morning to ms.Amy thank you kindly for these links as last week I kinda gave up on some of the Brix info on here as it just didn't explain the nitty gritty if that makes sense so this is magic thank you kindly. Still learning bout soil but never to old to learn some more...haha

I wanted to come back and follow this up properly in case anyone else happens by who might be interested in high brix farming and hasn’t come across it, or the notion of a “living soil”, before.

If it’s the DB High Brix kit you’re interested in, know that the kit contains everything needed to make what is described by the words ‘soil food web’, with very little effort from the farmer :ganjamon:. Moreover, @Doc Bud ’s kit is specifically, through years of R&D, optimised to provide a soil food web fine tuned to growing cannabis. This fine tuning gets better with each cycle too (to a point) as the roots and leaves of the plant are recycled. As @Duggan has put it, training the soil to grow cannabis :thumb:

So I think the best place to start (or at least an excellent place), if you’re totally new to it, is with Dr Elaine Ingham, a pioneering researcher in the field of soil science, on the soil-food web... remember, LOS gardeners work to sustain this themselves with various soil amendments and teas etc. Doc’s kit has all this sorted for you, and then some...

(I originally had a link here - but I’ve found a version I can embed here, I think... let’s see - ok it works best in full screen mode, Vimeo clips behave strangely)

Excerpt from “The Symphony of the Soil”

The ‘then some’ I mentioned above is because when you add a high brix approach to this, less emphasis is put on getting organic matter into the soil and more emphasis goes into the mineral content and balance (ratio is everything here). So as Doc says, we want a micro herd that likes to eat rocks, not sugar. In this way the high brix soils seek to create the balance found in tropical volcanic soils, or those found in some regions of Europe too (eh Conradino ;) ), and likely other places that I don’t know about.

So high brix farming is both different and similar to LOS (Living Organic Soil) methods and both are premised on maintaining the soil life and letting that take care of the plants’ health.

High brix is the way wine grape growers do it, and some hops growers too, and plenty of food growers too (more and more). I was fully and forever sold on what Doc was trying to do when I read him (last year while trawling old journals) saying that it just makes sense to treat cannabis like fine wine.

Hell yeah :passitleft:

Plus, now we have @LadyGaea taking things to a whole new level with food and beverage pairings for different cannabis! Inspired :D

I hope some folks who might not have seen her before enjoy the Elaine Ingham video (like I said - the vid is the first image, it’s kinda easy to miss it and scroll past, esp. on a phone).

And I’m not dissing LOS - it’s fantastic too (Van Stank’s and Bobrown’s gardens are testaments to this). And mineralised LOS is a great way to grow - I loved it! But I think I love this kit approach more.

I may employ the other at times again too... down the track...

:love:
:Namaste:

Great info Amy.

High Brix is living, organic soil.....but it's not based on tradition or heresay....it's based on soil testing. We've got it right, in the kit. No guessing.

In theory, LOS and High Brix are the same thing. But in practice, with LOS you have no certainty what your mineral ratio's are....you don't know what the Ca/K and Ca/Mag ratio's are.....and you don't know how much organic matter you have, etc.

We have all that dialed in with High Brix. That's the main difference.

Traditional farming methods can and do produce High Brix produce, but they do it in the area where the tradition was born....not everywhere there's dirt. Korean Natural Farming is great in certain parts of Korea.....but not necessarily anywhere else.

What my gear does is put a perfectly balanced soil in your garden and supply products that keep it that way.......You'll see.

You'll see.

Exactly! I know I will!!

I knew you’d clarify my post if desired :thumb:
in practice, with LOS you have no certainty what your mineral ratio's are....you don't know what the Ca/K and Ca/Mag ratio's are.....and you don't know how much organic matter you have, etc.

We have all that dialed in with High Brix. That's the main difference.
This is precisely where I got to. As much as I enjoyed trying to mineralise and soul build I found the mental effor of constantly thinking about the balances with no actual way of knowing was quite taxing and I was frustrated by it - even tho I still grew some delicious plants. I’m really a complete nerd,:nomo: and the kit suits me hands down, like I always knew it would.

Looking real good. Your's looks a lot like mine when very young. One thing I noticed on my BD was she did not drink a lot of water. Other plants in tent needed water and she was still happy as a lark.

Little midweek report between updates.

Yesterday the pot felt super light, but was still a bit dark and slightly damp when I gently dug a little into the soil to check (not at all wet, but not dry). Fully dry on top though, so I dribbled 1/4 cup (maybe less) around the edges and a very light spray to slightly dampen the top. It’s only day 18 today so way too soon for the first drench. Hoping it will be good for at least another week if not 2 before that.

Here’s a little iPhone photo drop to keep us in images :)

Still powering :)

CAC44AF0-729E-49F7-9091-3E16786AFE0F.jpeg
2737E7A4-455A-42B4-8416-E58C5BC0E883.jpeg
95FF78A8-F905-4031-A1F0-36507341B556.jpeg

Looking real good. Your's looks a lot like mine when very young. One thing I noticed on my BD was she did not drink a lot of water. Other plants in tent needed water and she was still happy as a lark.

That’s great! Thanks JM - you posted that just as I was writing about not watering! I keep thinking I’m going to go back and look over other peoples grows of blue Dream... but it hasn’t happened yet, and I’m well underway. I read heaps when I was first interested in it, so I trust the osmosis of knowledge and memory will guide me anyway. Not to mention all the excellent concrete tips from all you others who have grown it out before. I’m dropping over now to check yours out though. Do you remember when it flowered?

Thanks ‘bud ;) I’m sure expecting a beautiful beast!

It’s been about a year since I had a spliff. Maybe longer. I was using a one-hitter until I broke the last one I had and got a vape - arizer solo, and I love it.

Recently I’ve been wanting to just see what this Roaring Dutchess is like when smoked (it’s the name I’ve given my friends cross of n.lights x g.tiger).

Joint rolling used to be my party trick - big ones. Tonight it’s just a littlie, for me... but it’s nice to see I still got it
:rollit:
540D5EAF-1221-4D87-8DDE-9C3E014B3CED.jpeg

I think that joint rolling is like falling off a bicycle, something you never forget! I think there was a 35+ year gap between my joint rollings and I did it like I had never stopped :).

Nice to hear the roar!
Yeah I had to show Lopin and it was about 40 years since my last roll. She said it was too tight. Lol. Got a head buzz just trying to take a hit off it. Haha

I love me some weed too K! I can’t do yoga yet
Hi Amy, looking great in the garden. Moon dance for your seeds!
love your lesson plans so clean and detailed.
Love me the MJ, for so many things. A great one for me is for the guided meditations to heal(nidra). Some of my MJ intakes can really get me exploring some great body sensations that are hard to feel! Once I get to know them in that state, they are easier for me to find the next time. Opens my brain. Nothing else does that for me.

“living soil” Doc’s kit has all this sorted for you, and then some...
:love::Namaste:
But I have worms what do I do with that stuff if I get Docs Kit? :rofl:. Decisions decisions.

cheers folks :)

I have make sure I use different papers though. People complain about the CropKing papers that came in the box with the 420 lighter and t-shirt.

I’m glad you mentioned that again. I was thinking of that last night because that’s what I used and I remember you mentioning this after your party a while back. Yeah the flavours from those papers are perhaps not so nice.
great one for me is for the guided meditations to heal(nidra). Some of my MJ intakes can really get me exploring some great body sensations that are hard to feel! Once I get to know them in that state, they are easier for me to find the next time. Opens my brain. Nothing else does that for me.
Nice - I do yoga nidras as well. Sometimes guided sometimes I just run through it myself, I’ve been doing it so long my body kind of remembers. I have only recently experimented with having a toke prior, and it is nice to bring an altered perspective to it sometimes.

Do you use guided ones Lowded? Which ones are your favourite? I’m always looking for new ones. I have to trick myself into resting by mixing things up a bit. I need to do several a day so variety really helps.

Oh and further on the crappy king rolling papers...

I could complain about it going out a lot - but sometimes that can be a good thing ;)

I was trying to relight it after it went out the second time, about 1/3 in, and I had some ‘trouble’ finding my lips with the end of the joint :rofl: and realised I probably didn’t need to hit it again! That was a fun evening :ganjamon:

I had some ‘trouble’ finding my lips with the end of the joint
LOL! Sounds like it was doing the job in spite of the CK papers!

I heard they didn't burn evenly or something like that so I may just toss them, though I do have a tendency to roll tight joints. We had to in the old days because we rarely completely cleaned it of seeds and stems and if they were loose they would fall apart as they burned.

High Amy and good day to you.

Mine burned pretty even the other night. I wonder if it's a climate thing and dryness of the buds?

Anyways I totally forgot to reply to your post In My journal so I thought hey I'll swing through here and check out your digs. I see your going with the kit. Very nice. It's still on my to do list eventually but I'm a sucker for experimentation, and am pretty thrilled to try this vermi compost.

You're plants look as fake as they're supposed to so seems like the brix crew has you sorted out.

Oh and the picture was neither rosin or resin. Its shatter a type of non polar solvent hash. (Butane, propane etc). I didn't know you were on the gram? I'm @themad420dabber

It burned evenly enough. And really when you’re burning alone, it going out a bit is a good thing, less waste.

I hit it a few more times throughout the evening. Was a nice change. Certainly more intense in some ways. I will say there were some edges to it here n there that I don’t get with vaping and that I don’t miss. It was more of a roller coaster than my vaped highs, which seem more even. I still have half of it left! Might have to finish it off today...

On the growing front, I seem to have the environment pretty stable for now. I have some crazy little adaptions using old doilies and a scarf to temper the extraction a bit and for most of Lights on things are holding perfect at 25degreesC and 50% rh. Overnight there’s still a RH spike at some stage to 61% but I don’t think it’s for long (although I have no way of knowing), and that’s not at all extreme. Still drops to 17C overnight too. So still on the edge, but ok. Overall I’m pretty happy with the environmental controls.

I’m going to need to replace the oscillating fan soon though. Currently I have our full size Dyson bladeless in there, but I don’t think I can keep it like that as the plant gets bigger. Plus - I will have to return the Dyson to the house once the weather warms up a bit!

So the hunt is on for the quietest oscillating fan of a small size that I can find. Newty has a really cute one she says is really quiet - a sunbeam from the rainforest she said it was... (thankyou newty) but they’re sold out currently :(

So any tips for uber quiet oscillating fans (small size) are very welcome!!

h and the picture was neither rosin or resin. Its shatter a type of non polar solvent hash. (Butane, propane etc). I didn't know you were on the gram? I'm @themad420dabber
High Dabber! :welcome: to my humble grow. Nice to have you in the house.

My joint burned perfectly evenly:rollit: I just thought the paper tasted a bit off. And the going out thing, which is sometimes helpful.

Ok! shatter! It’s such a beautiful substance. How do you consume it?

I don’t have a 420 focused insta account. Can’t reconcile the risk at this point. So I don’t follow a lot of cannabis feeds but I do check them out regularly and have checked out your stuff there. :thumb: So I can’t share my insta here - gotta keep ‘em separated ;)

Ima big hash lover, so I might like shatter ... I don’t think it’s very easy to make tho is it? I’m hoping to attempt some dry sift hash sometime soon though... researching screens atm.

Oh and yeh the kit. Can’t pass up the ease and mind blowing quality.

I did all my own soil mix with organic and mineral amendments and vermicompost and seaweed and stinging nettle teas and foliars last summer, outside. It was an absolute hoot and I grew some beautiful plants (yielded just under a pound from 5plants) . We do all that vermicomposting etc for the veggies so I may use it a bit in the future, but I’m completely sold on the kit. My mind is now free to think of many other ways to experiment, knowing that the plants have pretty much the perfect arrangement - so long as I keep the environment sweet

I’m really glad I did my own run first because now i know I can, and I have got some growing confidence from that. :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom