Amy Gardner’s High Brix Dreams

The particulars...
Strain: Blue Dream (Sativa dominant hybrid)

Season/ style: Winter/ Indoors

Medium: Soil/Peat
Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss, Doc Buds High Brix 1st Run ammendment, worm castings, perlite.

Pot size: 1 gal for veg | 10 gal for flower

Light: DIY Samsung LED panels (more on this later :) )

Environment control: Tent is in an air conditioned room. I have an extraction project on the go for the tent (more on that later). Daytime temps in the room range from 19-22º C at the moment and I’m waiting to see how much warmer the tent is. Nighttime I am trying not to let the room get below 18, which may be too cold in the tent so I’ll use an intermittent heat mat for germination at least, and we’ll see how the temps pan out from there, tweak as I go! This is the first run for the whole setup.
RH: Room is low 38-45% so hoping the little humifidfying device (more later) can raise it in the tent appropriately to the 55-60% range.

Nutrients: Doc Buds High Brix tea, drenches and foliar sprays all feed the soil community which powers the plant :thumb:

————————————-

The moon is waxing...

4684BDDC-CE54-419D-84C0-D4C738639DC7.jpeg

Image: Waxing Crescent Moon Photograph by Eckhard Slawik

The seed is dropped...

I’ve still a bit to get done to finish off the light and I’ll be setting up the airflow for the tent as we go along, but I couldn’t let another newmoon pass without dropping the seed. I’m officially underway :slide:

If you come to this journal later and want the run down on just the grow (minus all the chatter in between updates), searching within the thread for the word ‘Update’ should give you all the grow report posts :thumb:

Welcome to all who join in on the journey, on whatever day you arrive. :welcome:

Strain: Blue Dream (Sativa dominant hybrid)

My brother bought a lid of that last year from some dispensary in Colorado and really liked it. Then, a month later, he bought some off a local dealer (thankfully, only a ¼-ounce that time) and thought it was pretty crappy. Hopefully, you got the good genetics version, lol.

Daytime temps in the room range from 19-22º C at the moment and I’m waiting to see how much warmer the tent is. Nighttime I am trying not to let the room get below 18

WOW! Can I put my grow in your room, lol? (Or at least sleep there? ;) ) I saw 89°F (31.7°C) in mine yesterday; haven't tried turning on any lights yet :rolleyes: . I broke down and turned my window a/c unit on, even though I can't really afford to run that plus more than, IDK, a couple hundred watts of lighting at the same time - and it just hummed for a bit, then started screeching. I guess I'm going to try hosing down whatever I can reach with penetrating oil in hopes that this will help.

I couldn’t let another newmoon pass without dropping the seed.

I never can remember whether we're supposed to germinate seeds of flowering plants during the full moon, new moon, waxing moon, or waning moon; the only real witch I ever new (old ex-) is deceased, so I can't "phone a friend."

BtW, I noticed that your seeds are S₁s. Were they created by chemical means (silver thiosulphate or colloidal silver) or via stressing the parent plant... or was it just a natural hermaphrodite?

Good luck on your grow!

Glad to be on the ride...

Curious on 1-gal veg and 10-gallon up-pot for flowering...is that to control size?
Welcome Blew! Glad to have you here :thumb:

The pot sizes are part of the basic guidelines for using Doc Bud’s High Brix blend. Aiming for kinda root bound in the small pot with more frequent feedings to the soil towards the end, and then into a big pot for flip to flower. Advanced kit users play around with this a bit but I’m just starting so I’m going by ‘the book’ for a while so I can learn to observe...

I never can remember whether we're supposed to germinate seeds of flowering plants during the full moon, new moon, waxing moon, or waning moon; the only real witch I ever new (old ex-) is deceased, so I can't "phone a friend."

STick around then... this is going to be something of a moon journal. :hippy:

Good luck on your grow!
Thanks! One plant, should be able to manage - I guess we’ll find out.

Already there’s a flaw in the plan :rofl:. I think the seed is ready to go in soil... but it’s 5 in the morning!:hmmmm:

But speaking of the seed! It comes to me from the garden of MagicJim via the very Sweeetest of Sue’s and I’m deeply grateful to both!:thanks:
It was created by the reversal of a clone using STS, from an original female plant from Humbolt. This is a good genetic line, and Sue’s have always looked great so I’m expecting nothing less!

This grow is kind of about 2 things, practically speaking: to develop my indoor growing techniques and setup; and to embark on using the DBHBB kit.

On the kit growing transition. Let’s be honest. Since the moment I saw the high brix kit grows I knew it was going to be in my future. I was sold on it this time last year for sure.

I’m also super pleased that I had to wait a while to get it (logistics, finances etc.). This meant that I spent last summer exercising my own mojo growing outside using the basics of brix approaches Doc had worked out during his R&D journals a number of years ago blended with some approaches from biodynamics and LOS (which for me at that stage was a basic 6: 5: 3 mineralised soil with compost &/or seaweed/nettle teas with lactobacillus cultures). It went really well! I was stoked with that grow and the weed I grew is definitely the best I’ve had and the flavours are amazing (I have literally drooled).
:yummy::drool::volcano-smiley:

I gave a heap to my buddy who was my helper during the grow and who gave me the GTxNL cross seeds that I grew out - he has come back and said he’s had never had weed with so much flavour! :slide: (this guy has had a lot of weed!) That was yesterday as I was showing him the kit soil... :) I was pretty chuffed by that and told him that I was only just getting started - he’s gonna flip out at the flavours the kit can produce! It also tells me I got some ok brix levels in those summer plants so that basic approach works and I may still employ it at times.

Realised I need to add this to my signature!

:surf:

My summer grow was full of adventures and critters in the forest. It’s the depths of winter now so i’m hibernating. Also I’m in an extended low ebb period health wise so it’s perfect that I have one plant in a tent in my room, a mere 5 steps from my bed :thumb:

In winter, the moon is higher in the sky than in summer so it’s presence is heightened (so to speak ;) ). Seeing as I always aim to do business in the garden in accordance with the movements and ‘moods’ of the moon and am very much a moon child, astrologically speaking, it seemed fitting to make the moon, and moon gardening, something of a theme. I dont know a massive amount about it, I use a chart ;) but I do know that it works, and I do have the following basic information in my brain (for so long now it feels innate):

The waxing and waning patterns are all you need to follow for some basic moon gardening. When the moon is new and waxing is the time to plant and to prune for vigorous regrowth. During waning and the dark moon, attention is best turned to the soil and the roots and to cutting back or weeding things that you don’t want to return. For example, if there are weeds you want to remove, you will have best results if you pull them during the latter phase of the waning moon and on the dark moon.

Within that, you can get more detailed and use the astrological phases of the moon in a more detailed way. For example, the chart I have says that leafy annuals are best planted when the new/waxing moon is in a fertile sign or a semi fertile sign.

I missed the perfect moment a month ago with the mid June new moon in Cancer - this is actually my preferred moon time to plant cannabis (Cancer or Scorpio new moon), but I wasn’t ready. Luckily, the moon has cycles so we always get another opportunity and this month, right now, there is a semi-fertile period during the new moon week with the moon in Libra so this is the moment. A Libra moon isn’t the most ideal, but it’s the next best option, and we continue to wax in Scorpio till the weekend so that’s a nice fertile water sign.

Along the way I will try to execute gardening tasks at the appropriate time in the moon cycle. I wont compromise the plant for it though. I like to approach it like I’m being loosely guided by the luna cycle... (‘hold the fish loosely...’ eh...). I’ll also try to research a little to deepen my knowledge here n there. I found some interesting stuff about different approaches to harvesting with the moon so I look forward to ruminating on that in a few months as the chop omens approaches.

At a basic level, it’s very intuitive... waxing = growing (above ground, foliage, new shoots) | waning = turning inwards (below ground, roots).

So all discussions about moon gardening welcome :) always keeping it relevant to cannabis gardening of course!

On the other side of things, the sun is of course super low and hanging below the tree canopy even at midday at the moment, so what do we do? We build or buy indoor suns! I’ve been building mine very slowly for about 6 months and am happy to say that today I will be fixin all the panels to the frame and wiring it up - I’ll have indoor sun by the end of the day and then I’ll put together the build photos and show it off...

Better get about a bit and tell folks of the journal... :surf:

In, now I can go back and read ;).

Welcome Shed man! :theband: This is going to be fun - you’ve no idea how messy and unprepared the tent arrangement is right now... I’ve a busy couple of days ahead of me while this seed prepares to pop (figured it was a good way to get things going, the plant is going to need a hoe pretty soon!)

:welcome: Excellent - stoked to have you along :):passitleft:

I'll be lurking about daily. I might not comment on everything, but I'll be watching and hopefully ready to help if there's a need. If I don't see a question, feel free to post on my thread.

Here we go!

Indeed! Thanks Doc, it’s so great to have you on board and thanks for helping me to get this far (and for sharing all this old journals which have helped me so much already!)

I'm in Amy. Looking forward to watching your first kit grow. I'll help out when I can.

:passitleft:

Thanks! :passitleft: and big welcome to you ween :welcome:

Want to learn more about soil. And check out this ^^^ guys stuff.
Welcome Lowded! :welcome:
If you have some time I really recommend scouring through journals of Doc and Conradino from a few years ago - that’s some good learning about soils there that I could never hope to convey here! We’re reaping the benefits now... of all Doc’s R&D

And of course i'm in as well!! Hey there Amy, congrats on your assimilation!

Thank daj and welcome! :welcome:

“Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own...” :rollit:(haha, even that fits well!)

Made it on the first page! Cant wait to see what you can produce using the kit Amy! I'll be following along closely if ya dont mind!? Best of luck to you :high-five:

:welcome: Head! So nice to have you along again. Yep this kit thing is already changing my growing life for the better! The soil doesn’t weigh a ton! That’s a big plus for me that I didn’t know was coming.

You got all the right stuff! :thumb:

This is gonna be fun! :popcorn:

Isn’t tho’!? :welcome: Thanks Gray, bringer of sunshine :)

Back
Top Bottom