I got around that trimming thing by not really trimming very much.
Good answer!
During a mite inspection I came accross these :eek: ... smiley faces...:eek: are you kidding me?
Smiley faces :), your face :eek:
I have a bushfire escape kit ready just in case...
I hope it's a rocket ship with a parachute :thumb:
bring on the Green Cleaner!
I use spinosad in flower here, just sprayed the flowering plants with it this weekend after seeing bugs on the AK. They don't sell it in Canada so I don't know if it's available down under.

Bugs or not, the CM is stacking nicely, and the Candida makes me nervous about mine. I'm going to stop with the supercrop and top.

Be sure to go through and pluck all the infected leaves. The green cleaner is great stuff, but not a silver bullet. You will better your odds if you remove all visible signs of infestation, AND the you can also see if the infestation continues, because any new damage coming after the spray will obviously be new.

Good luck and Cheers,

Mega Update: White Widow day 110 (+21)

Yesterday I did the post-stretch prune on the white widow. It’s 21 days into flower and I’m pretty sure it’s stopped stretching. Hopefully i didnt do it too early - i’ll prob’ly never know!

I took some bud pics in the early morning light. It’s taking some outdoor punishment but looking gorgeous nonetheless. It’s a sturdy one this!

Then our actual gardner came to do the lawns so I waited that out - while dust went everywhere.

Mid-late morning I went out with the shears.

Here are the before shots. I’ve taken a lot, at different angles, because I’ve never pruned like this outdoors before. This one is really bushy, too!! I want to document it well to refer back to later, if I grow this again.

If you notice white pistil like things like confetti all over the plants, it’s Eucalyptus petals - some of the ones close to us are flowering right now, smells amazing - eucalyptus honey in the air.

Let’s get on wit it!

BEFORE:

From under and opposite to the sun to see what light gets through.

... I dive in!

full

... And immediately find this amazing worm spider :eek::eek::eek:

I remember photographing a smaller version of this a while back i’m sure. I dont know if “worm spider” is what it’s called, I haven’t looked it up. But I swear, it’s body moves like a worm ... it’s both elegant and creepy :laughtwo:

There may be 2 of them...

I also encountered this beautiful canna-guardian.

And elsewhere, something which that one left behind maybe! :D

Or it belonged to this one... or maybe this is the same one, in a different spot :hmmmm: ... It’s a jungle in here :ganjamon:

While I was in there, intrepid explorer of the widow universe, I took all lower shoots that would never see sun, plus a few at the “back” that will also see next to no sun as the big fire ball gets lower in the sky. I took as few large fans as possible - where they were completely in the dark or badly damaged, or mite infested etc. I took a few smaller fans and some tiny weak branches that were crowding around other stronger ones. It felt like so much - and I kind of can see what I’ve done - so I hope it’s not too much. I think it’s pretty good - couple of crowded zones still, but I can adjust later.

These pics are today. Oh - I also plan to put some stakes around and open it up just a little bit.

And because I’m a vain mother :love: (still crushing...)

I thought it’s neighbour Basil was looking quite good too. This one had some struggles with fungus but we managed to turn it around.

View media item 1660121
The raised bed demanded a parting glimpse today. Candida was having one of those praying hard to the diffused sunlight days.

So that’s the garden this week... doing what I can about the mites, I will aim to hardspray with the water hose all the plants first thing tomorrow and will do that until the Green Cleaner comes. They’re all holding up pretty well, like me! :high-five:

It was a mega update so thanks for coming along. I feel like there were lots of critter already too and have something differnt in mind. It’s definitely critter related though as my time in the garden lately has been accompanied by the gentle hum of bees very very high up - in the flowering Eucalyptus I mentioned earlier.

Yesterday morning, with the first light of day filtered by smoke haze and early mist, these trees very close to the garden enclosure really made their presence felt :love:

View media item 1660118
View media item 1660120
View media item 1660119
I love them so much :meditate:

This is what I see as I leave to garden so it seems nice that you see it too!

:Namaste:

Garden of Eden is such an appropriate name - just a wonderful looking place you have there. :green_heart:

I love your WW, and the pruning looks spot on (but I barely know what I'm doing myself).

You're in SoCal for a week? You shoulda let me know...we could have gotten some folks together!
Dude!
I guess I missed an opportunity to meet my first 420 correspondent. I did meet some very nice people, played some horseshoes, pinnacle & went to the Joshua Tree Forest.:woohoo::high-five::Namaste:
Dude!!
Sounds like you did alright. Next time you're down this way there are about 5 within driving distance who can probably work up an appetite for lunch :).
Dude!!! Haha for real man if you ever get out this way again put the word out and Id love to show some hospitality. That goes for anyone from the mag, really.
Lord of the Rings yes!!!
Hey so I recently found this resource again (thanks to @JustMeds) and wanted to post it here for posterity :D

It’s pretty comprehensive look at the understanding of soil and growing science that high brix farming is based on.

The Ideal Soil

I’ve been thinking about the answer I gave @Archiweedies the other day on what I might estimate my brix at - I think my estimate of around 12 or so might be right for the WW, but the rasied bed is only in the first season of being amended for the correct balances and it can take a while - up to 5 seasons to achieve it. Based on my soil test, Doc told me that my soil was amendable over 2 seasons (which tells me my DIY soil wasn’t too bad) so I have a pretty good chance at decent brix levels this year, but next year will be better, and the following years even more. I’ll probably test every 2 years (so every 2 grows). SO i’D guess its a bit lower in the rasied bed at this point - and those plants seem a bit more tasty to the mites too, which would make sense (lower brix = more vulnerable to pests).

Speaking of mites - I wasn’t able to get into the garden at all yesterday. So the third round of weaponised foliar never happened even close to schedule. All things in my body are a bit stronger this morning tho’ so I’m going now. I’m well fortified on a wake n bake of more of my Haze auto :slide: look at me go! :laughtwo: :surf: Kill ‘em! Kill ‘em all!
Ahh terrible luck with the mites AG :confused:. I know you'll fight them with everything you got! I was thinking about this earlier as you used the word "fake plants" in my journal recently to describe them. I feel like my Brix levels are probably on the lower end just because its my first run....in the soil and in the DBHBB kit haha! Room for improvement, is all :thumb:.
Hope you can get the mites under control... Remember my 'shade screen canopy' idea to help with the hotter days? The idea in my mind was basically four posts coming up, one from each corner of the raised bed. Then having some way to fashion the shade cloth to the vertical posts. It would need some support, especially to protect it from the wind.

Point is, What if you had a net you could completely quarantine from bugs but still let in plenty of light? Not only could you keep unwanted pests out, you could release ladybugs and take care of your pest problem completely organically.

I know you like your wildlife that hangs around, I surely am in love with it, so you could always peel back the net once your pest issue has been resolved.

:thumb:beautiful Amy,:circle-of-love: grand update, Fantastic trim job. I love the warm photos- it was -2 here this morning and I'm ready for change. Winter can leave ASAP:theband: I'm surfing out of here:surf: Lots of love G'Day Mate :meditate::Namaste:
Thanks D! :circle-of-love: Glad you like the trim - it was very much a maiden voyage :surf: . I’ll keep the sun coming as long as it’s here :)
Garden of Eden is such an appropriate name - just a wonderful looking place you have there. :green_heart:

I love your WW, and the pruning looks spot on (but I barely know what I'm doing myself).
:Namaste: Beez We’ll get to see how well the pruning takes. Indeed, already by the end of yesterday the plant had taken on a ‘cola arms’ as opposed to ‘bushy bush’ look

used the word "fake plants" in my journal recently to describe them. I feel like my Brix levels are probably on the lower end just because its my first run....in the soil and in the DBHBB kit haha! Room for improvement, is all :thumb:.
Actually - you might be surprised. It looks to me like you are rolling pretty well with the kit and when that happens, I’m pretty sure the Brix levels will just be high - that’s why it’s so good. Get the basics right and the effect is Hight Brix Weed -ies! :laughtwo: Yours look very Brix to me!

Thanks for thinking about the mites things and shade cloths etc. I’ll consider that. It’s another physical thing to mange and do things with tho so it likely won’t make the cut.

My idea so far - that only needs execution, all the parts are here - is to use the pieces of ag-pipe from last year’s bush pod and run them parallel to create an arch over the raised bed. The arch will be attached to posts already in place (well 3 in place - i’ll add a star picket for the 4th) and have greenhouse plastic accross it. You attach the ag-pipe to Post’s with zip ties - it’s a simple simple construction ... hmmm, another project to do with my incoming houseguest perhaps...

That’s only going to be for rain protection during flower though of course, not mites ;). I’m thinking I will attempt to do a rain hat kinda the same for the WW as well :nerd-with-glasses:

Then our actual gardner came to do the lawns
You have lawns too?
actual gardner
LOL!
They’re all holding up pretty well, like me!
:yahoo:
You mock me? :rofl:
Never! The instructions for someone else to handle our plants the way we would can be pretty specific is all. Some folks think they know what you mean without realizing the details are important.

Beautiful thinning and you definitely did not take too much. I love the smell of eucalyptus. Dohs spider-worms doh. o_O

IKR! :eek:
Never! The instructions for someone else to handle our plants the way we would can be pretty specific is all. Some folks think they know what you mean without realizing the details are important.

Oh Yes!! - this is a very true thing. I have one garden helper who used to grow years ago and she is learning the Brix system quite well. Not quite there with the light mist foliar spraying tech yet, but it’s coming along. SHe understands now that my details are important - and listens well ;)

Mostly - if someone else can do the pumping of the pressure thing in the sprayer, than I’m good to weild it. It takes forever bcasue I take lots of breaks and have to refill and re-pressurise a lot because I can only weild about 1.5L at once.

I think the rain cover project is a good one to do with this guest. He likes to do. He can help me do that - it’s perfect timing really. :D

Actually - you might be surprised. It looks to me like you are rolling pretty well with the kit and when that happens, I’m pretty sure the Brix levels will just be high - that’s why it’s so good. Get the basics right and the effect is Hight Brix Weed -ies! :laughtwo: Yours look very Brix to me!

Thanks for thinking about the mites things and shade cloths etc. I’ll consider that. It’s another physical thing to mange and do things with tho so it likely won’t make the cut.

My idea so far - that only needs execution, all the parts are here - is to use the pieces of ag-pipe from last year’s bush pod and run them parallel to create an arch over the raised bed. The arch will be attached to posts already in place (well 3 in place - i’ll add a star picket for the 4th) and have greenhouse plastic accross it. You attach the ag-pipe to Post’s with zip ties - it’s a simple simple construction ... hmmm, another project to do with my incoming houseguest perhaps...

That’s only going to be for rain protection during flower though of course, not mites ;). I’m thinking I will attempt to do a rain hat kinda the same for the WW as well :nerd-with-glasses:
Thanks AG! Oftentimes I struggle to appreciate my work. It can be quite frustrating to never feel happy about ones own accomplishments, but that is what I deal with.
I understand about the net could be troublesome to get into place but it might be an idea for next spring perhaps. Something to work towards! The older I get, the more I realize its about the journey and not so much the destination.

I didn’t manage to run the extra hose length I’d need to hard spray the plants with water - can’t wrangle the hose today! So everyone got a weaponised Destress.

I actually wonder if maybe as we get older we realise that destinations are not really destinations. There are no final destinations but death. The rest of it is journey... with landing pads here n there :Namaste:

You have lawns too?
SUre! Such as it is. “Backyard” cricket was an almost daily occurrence in my previous life :D gotta have grass for that! Of all kinds ;)

That’s what you usually see the kangaroos munching on, or lying down on. Most;y the kangas keep it down but every so often it gets too far ahead of them and we get a ride on mower person over. This one was a new one - we hadn’t met her before. SHe did a good job and whipped a lot of other scrappy sections for us too.

Some chat in another journal reminded me that my seed order from 2 months ago from Seedsman camp in last week :slide: They had some delay but the on-site rep sorted things out for us! :thumb:

Funny how you can forget what you choose... but both the Durban and JH came up in conversation earlier.

The JH is a freebie from @SeedsMan :thanks:

Thanks Seedsman and 420 Mag for continually enhancing my seed collection : :ganjamon:

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom