Good evening mr.Archi we cross paths again this evening...haha

I might have an unorthodox idea for your outdoor adventure.... I'm busy using it in my garden right now and it's similiar to a raised bed and fabric pot one...

ms.Amy I hope you don't mind if a share pic with mr.Weedies if that's ok with you.... :thanks:

image.jpeg

This girl was in a 50lt bucket and was getting root bound in December, so I dug a knee deep hole and filled with chunks stones for drainage and filled with composted pig/sheep manure, added some bonemeal and kelp powder and mycrohaizal fungi I transplanted her but she was still sticking out half above ground so I sowed 40% shade netting round some wire mesh and because I was scared of direct sunlight on the roots I wrapped it in cardboard which will decompose and the roots will poke through it more than likely one day..... She's just under knee height from the ground to the fork in the branches.....

And here she is today going strong..

image.png

Hope that helps you some brother.... You could do the same with your pots, put wire mesh around and cut a hole in the bottom for the roots to go into the whole below but I don't know if you want to sacrifice your bags for that......:rofl:
Hey hello again! I’m certainly not attached to the bags. I like your thinking. Hmm. I have much to think about haha!
I found him by searching for PITA - dunno why he doesn't show up by name.

Major PITA list of messages
Now I remember why I couldn’t find his journals when it was mentioned the other day :rofl:
Found it! And i’m linking it here for posterity (and letting the mods know that the old signature links are not parsing sucessfully). Silly it took so much to find him, he hasn’t been absent that long...

Major PITA Takes High Brix Outdoors — Summer 2015

:Namaste:
Lol thanks I think.... :goof:

I’ve done a few autos outdoors in fabric bags so I know just what you mean about them going dry real quick. My watering techniques have improved massively but I do worry about how much water it will take to water all this soil. My tap water is quite hard so that could be another problem.
I’m at almost exactly 2 gallons of water per plant in the 10 gallon containers right now every four days.
I had one plant in a 25 gal and three plants in 20 gal fiber pots. I typically watered them every other day. They take a lot of water for sure but I just ran my garden hose so it didn't really matter to me. When I feed them, I mixed up 2 gallons worth for each plants, but they probably could have appreciated 3 gallons.

I had one plant in a 25 gal and three plants in 20 gal fiber pots. I typically watered them every other day. They take a lot of water for sure but I just ran my garden hose so it didn't really matter to me. When I feed them, I mixed up 2 gallons worth for each plants, but they probably could have appreciated 3 gallons.
Thanks for the wisdom. I’m curious, if you think they would have appreciated bigger feedings do you regret not feeding them more?

Thanks for the wisdom. I’m curious, if you think they would have appreciated bigger feedings do you regret not feeding them more?
Put another way... will you feed heavier next time? :)

cut a hole in the bottom for the roots to go into the whole below but I don't know if you want to sacrifice your bags for that.
certainly not attached to the bags
Think Smeegs is on to something here with a hole filled with a bit of drainage and composted goodness under the outdoor bags . You wouldn't have to cut holes in the bottoms. The roots will grow right through it regardless. Would solve the drying out too fast dilemma,

I wet the base with 1/2 gallon around the base then feed with 2 gallons as it helps with the uptake of nutrients, how true this is I'm not sure an old grower mentioned his girls responded better.

Think Smeegs is on to something here with a hole filled with a bit of drainage and composted goodness under the outdoor bags . You wouldn't have to cut holes in the bottoms. The roots will grow right through it regardless. Would solve the drying out too fast dilemma,

I bought 2 fabric pots last year but haven't used them yet and don't want to cut holes in my new bags yet.... :rofl:

The stone line hole reminded me of Spynx. Here's last year's journal.

Sphnx's Norcal Outdoor Season

IIRC he grew some in fabric pots set into rock-lined pits.

:bongrip:

Well, I started by only feeding them one gallon each, but then had an issue with a couple of the plants (sativa dominant) showing nitrogen deficiency during flowering. Then I upped it to 2 gallons each, which helped noticeably. Never at any time did I see any signs of nute burn so I'm guessing that I could have (maybe should have) fed them 3 gallons each.
So "yes" I think this season I might give them a bit heavier feeding. If I remember correctly, it took about 3 gallons before any drainage was observed from the bottom of the pots. I alternated the feedings with just plain water so they pretty much got feed about twice per week.

You wouldn't have to cut holes in the bottoms. The roots will grow right through it regardless.
My plant in the 25 gallon pot did indeed send roots out the bottom, through a layer of bark and into the dirt below. I realized this when I needed to move the pot and had to break off the roots from the bottom -- I was kinda surprised since it was such a large pot. After harvesting, even the plant in the 25 gallon pot had a solid root ball filling the whole 25 gallon space.

So "yes" I think this season I might give them a bit heavier feeding. If I remember correctly, it took about 3 gallons before any drainage was observed from the bottom of the pots. I alternated the feedings with just plain water so they pretty much got feed about twice per week.
:thumb:

Well I’m having some fun reading Major PITAs first HBB journal. You folks think I’ve got dangerous critters here, he mentions having bears to contend with! :eek: We don’t have bears! Doc is really active in the journal too - so there’s lots of tips coming. I just learned that when the weather is hot and dry, like it has been for the last 4 weeks, I could (should?) do half strength de-stress every other day. I did give De-stress because of the heat, but only once. Next year I’ll know :)

In this journal I’m reading he buried fabric pots straight into the ground in his garden. I’m looking forward to seeing the finish - wonder if he does a rootball check at the end?

...surely...

:surf: :nomo:

Maybe in a few years when he starts running low.
:laughtwo:
Lots of great info in Major's posts...miss him here as well...Dugg's ran security there don'tcha Yaknow!... :thedoubletake:;)...:rofl:...cheerz...h00k...:hookah:...
... :hmmmm: Ima prob’ly ok not to know why that’s funny... I’m sure it is tho’ ;):passitleft:

That first HBB journal of his is great too because he’s using the kit for the first time and outside so there’s lots of learning going on, for hom at the time, and for me/us now :thumb:

Yeah that’s the one!!!
The stone line hole reminded me of Spynx. Here's last year's journal.

Sphnx's Norcal Outdoor Season

IIRC he grew some in fabric pots set into rock-lined pits.

:bongrip:

I’m seeing what Major did and I’m liking it so far.
Well, I started by only feeding them one gallon each, but then had an issue with a couple of the plants (sativa dominant) showing nitrogen deficiency during flowering. Then I upped it to 2 gallons each, which helped noticeably. Never at any time did I see any signs of nute burn so I'm guessing that I could have (maybe should have) fed them 3 gallons each.

Thanks Beez! So From what you’ve said and what Ive seen in AG and Majors journal I’m gonna be going through a lot of water. Next I gotta hope I can trust my H20. For this reason, may have to go with one plant only this season.
:thumb:

Well I’m having some fun reading Major PITAs first HBB journal. You folks think I’ve got dangerous critters here, he mentions having bears to contend with! :eek: We don’t have bears! Doc is really active in the journal too - so there’s lots of tips coming. I just learned that when the weather is hot and dry, like it has been for the last 4 weeks, I could (should?) do half strength de-stress every other day. I did give De-stress because of the heat, but only once. Next year I’ll know :)

In this journal I’m reading he buried fabric pots straight into the ground in his garden. I’m looking forward to seeing the finish - wonder if he does a rootball check at the end?

...surely...

:surf: :nomo:

Yes there’s a ton in there for sure! I’m certain how he deals with his 100F+ days are going to really help me this summer.
Wow I remember Major. Miss that guy. That was a HUGE grow! He probably still has weed. I am sure he will pop in one of these days. Maybe in a few years when he starts running low.

Cheers,
Haha I haven’t hit the end yet but I can’t imagine the trim work!

Lots of great info in Major's posts...miss him here as well...Dugg's ran security there don'tcha Yaknow!... :thedoubletake:;)...:rofl:...cheerz...h00k...:hookah:...
Yeah I saw that... :yahoo:Good ol’ Duggs offer sto come help with security, trimming, and who knows what else haha.

Maybe I have theads mixed up...

I was talking about this one:

Maybe I have theads mixed up...

I was talking about this one:
Ahh yeah no we were discussing his very first journal. From 2015. But now I’m interested in that one too haha!

Back
Top Bottom