I’ve been curious about this for a while now. what’s the average number of days you grow the auto plants. I wonder if I can grow a photo period plant in the same amount of time. 50 days? 100 days? See if they can match yields

If you can finish flowering in 8 weeks, a 4 week veg would be comparable to most quick Autos.

I’ve been curious about this for a while now. what’s the average number of days you grow the auto plants. I wonder if I can grow a photo period plant in the same amount of time. 50 days? 100 days? See if they can match yields
The fastest Auto I’ve grown was 81 days - Auto Kryptonite from Pyramid seeds. Most typically take 90-115 days from seed to harvest.
So let’s say average 100 days. with a photo plant that has a 8 week veg time I’d have basically a month or so to start it before I initiate flower. Hmmmm very interesting (I only ask because I do not have any autoflowering seeds)

This is actually one of the questions driving this particular grow! So you’re in the right place :)

Once I drop the light hours to flower the Sour Bubba, I’ll be starting photoperiod seeds under that light schedule, partly to find out how that works.

It will vary a lot because different photo periods will take varying amounts of time to start flowering. I’m thinking of it as a way to do a perpetual in a single space.

If you can finish flowering in 8 weeks, a 4 week veg would be comparable to most quick Autos.
when i was reading around and planning this grow I saw lots of autos come in under 100 days. Many closer to 80. I think on average autos will be quicker than a photoperiod 12/12 or 11/13 from seed. But in some cases not by a great deal. It really depends on the various genetics’ timelines.

I’m about to drop a Panama (Red, hopefully! From ACE). Pure sativas can take a lot longer to start flowering so I have tried to factor that in. It will have a couple of weeks in 16/8 lighting first but I will still find out approximately how long it takes to begin flower when under reduced lighting from the start, as it wont be long enough for it to mature at all.

After that will be a Candida CD-1 photoperiod hybrid, which I will start from seed in its finish pot (7gal) like an auto.

After that, if there is time/room in the schedule, I’ll drop another yet-to-be-decided photoperiod.

I am very curious to see how long the photoperiods take to start flower when started under 11/13. I am thinking about always running any pure sativas that way to help keep them small :)

This is actually one of the questions driving this particular grow! So you’re in the right place :)

Once I drop the light hours to flower the Sour Bubba, I’ll be starting photoperiod seeds under that light schedule, partly to find out how that works.

It will vary a lot because different photo periods will take varying amounts of time to start flowering. I’m thinking of it as a way to do a perpetual in a single space.
I knew I was in the right spot! I might go home and start a few seeds and try it out myself as well. I can always cut some clones too just to fill up space. So your going to start the seeds under the reduced light schedule?

What an improvement! Posture and shine look great! :thumb:

The NLauto has nice color in the new growth too, even if it's still working out its training.

It's surprising sometimes, how they react when you pull the light away. :hmmmm: One day I'm going to play with more random day conditions - some dim and cool, some bright and hot, etc. :bongrip:

[Edit] Oh, and Panama shouldn't take terribly long to start blooming. It's not like a hazey sativa at all.

surprising sometimes, how they react when you pull the light away. :hmmmm:
IKR! I think they’re much happier.

I should have said, the lights are currently pulling 280 watts from the wall. That’s not at full tilt yet.

Panama shouldn't take terribly long to start blooming. It's not like a hazey sativa at all.
:thumb: Thanks for that. That’d be great if it was fairly swift to get started.

Panama seed is soaking :) Just catching the end of the waxing moon, which is currently in Scorpio.
going to start the seeds under the reduced light schedule?
Yes. The Panama I’m just dropping now will get about 10 days of 16/8 And then 11/13 onwards. The next few I drop will all be photoperiods in 11/13 from seed.

enough PPFD to get a DLI of at least 45-50 in 11 hours
Cool - I don’t know how to work that out. I do know that the Early Miss is currently getting about 45,000lux (it’s all 3000/3500k white LEDs), the DDA about 35-40,000lux and the veg‘ing kids are gettign in the mid 30,000lux. All for 16hours a day.

I plan to crank the light a lot harder once I reduce the light schedule, I can give it another 30watts or so. But I have no idea what DLI I’m giving them now, or will be giving them then.

I have tried, and I know it’s possible. Shed shared all the links with me. There’s no way I am up to trying ATM so if you are inclined and can work out my DLI from those lux numbers, I would love that!
:passitleft:

you are inclined and can work out my DLI from those lux numbers, I would love that!
:passitleft:

Thanks! :passitleft:

Well, I don’t know exactly - I’m used to working in PPFD. But an online lux to PPFD calculator indicates that 45,000 lux is about 850 PPFD, which is about 3 umoles/hour. So 11 hours would be a DLI of about 33. A bit low for flowering, but will do okay.

Contrasted with sunlight, which for me is around 4.5 umoles/hr right now. So 11 hrs of direct sun is a DLI of about 50.

For an LED to provide a DLI of 45 in 11 hours, it would have an average PPFD over 1100, which is more than 58,000 lux, according to the online calculator.

online lux to PPFD calculator indicates that 45,000 lux is about 850 PPFD,
That reminded me that there is a specific lux to ppfd calculator for these boards. That’s not great news for me as it gives me a lower number, but it’s realistic so that’s good ;) 45,000lux comes out around 650Pppfd for the equivalent of these boards. Wow, I’m almost understanding this now. Now i just need to understand the relationship btw ppfd and umoles. I know I have it written down somewhere.

It does look and feel to me that they are all getting less than ideal, and this kinda confirms that.

My outdoor plants definitely don’t get the sun they should. I need a better spot.

I had a plan. I screwed it up by forgetting about its details early on. The result is that 2 autos are well into flower and all they had had in terms of ‘ferts’, until yesterday, is a single TP drench :eye-roll:, and a Brix spray. Yesterday they were ready enough so both the DDa and the Early Miss got a Growth Ionic drench.

I had the camera out for a minute yesterday and did some experimentation w camera settings. These are taken just outside the tent, in its very very bright light. I was trying to see how dark I could get them while disappearing the background and still showing anything at all.

I definitely need to stop looking at my pics on the iPad so much for brightness/colour settings etc. These are practically invisibly black on my iPad, and much brighter on my phone and computer screen, where they look more like what I was after. I wonder what they will look like to others...

Interesting to note that the pinkness in the pistils is some kind of effect of light - or the lighting is bringing out a colour that just isn’t visibly there under bright light.

:Namaste:
Very cool pics Amy. Totally get the “mood” you were going for!

PPFD is umoles/sec/m2

So 650 x 3600 is umoles/hr = 2,340,000/1,000,000 = 2.34 DLI/hr
2.34 x 11 hrs = 25.74 DLI

16 hrs x 2.34 = 37.44 DLI
Ok so that explodes my brain a bit, nut I’ll just use that equation and substitute my ppfd numbers. I’m writing out that equation right now and pinning it to my board ;)
:thanks: again :) Penny dropped a little bit for me this time.
You could use more light :laughtwo:
yes i could! :thumb:

Nice update! Looks like Sour Bubba is digging her new shape. :cool:

Quickie Update :rollit:
Hello good folks

For the record:
Northern lights auto is flowering in earnest now, at day 34 and just starting to stretch. Seedaman say 8.5weeks from seed to flower, so we will see.

On Monday afternoon just gone, I turned on the Samsung strips and raised the light.

On that same day Sour Bubba and NLa had a regular strength Growth Ionic Drench, with 1/4 TP added, they both seem to have liked it. The 2 flowering autos, DDA and Early Miss, were also nearly dry so they both got a Transwater (1/4 strength TP). They’re both happy afterwards as well. DDA is letting go of the curl on those leaves. That could be due to liking the transwater drench or because I changed it’s relationship to the light and it’s not getting so hot - I changed 2 things so i’ll never really know.

It’s now 6am Wednesday morning here and I gave them all a Brix foliar at lights on, 90minutes ago. Sour Bubba and NLa had a tiny dose of Snake Oil in theirs. (I used 1oz/30ml rainwater + 1ml Brix and after spraying the DDA and Early Miss I added 3-4 drops of SO. I have about half of that solution leftover.)

A few quick-snap phone pics this morning.

My plan has me changing the lights to 11/13 anytime during the next 2week period. I am pretty sure I’ll let it go another full 2 weeks and let the Sour Bubba develop just a bit more. 10 days to 2 weeks should be good. Then it’s 11/13 from seed for whatever is left.

:love:
:Namaste:
That’s quite the little Magical Mystery Tour you’ve got going there! Snake Oil! They are beautiful. Why 11/13 vice 12/12?

Why 11/13 vice 12/12?
For the sativas :)

It may be ‘bro-science‘, but I dont think so. There is a long-held thought, put forward by many experienced growers who would know, that 11/13 for flower can help to draw out sativa traits. It’s also one less light-hour/ day financially speaking ;). Every little bit helps, right? I have always used 11/13 since growing inside. Even though i grow a lot of indica for pain and sleep meds, I love sativas and aim suit them mostly.

For the sativas :)

It may be ‘bro-science‘, but I dont think so. There is a long-held thought, put forward by many experienced growers who would know, that 11/13 for flower can help to draw out sativa traits. It’s also one less light-hour/ day financially speaking ;). Every little bit helps, right? I have always used 11/13 since growing inside. Even though i grow a lot of indica for pain and sleep meds, I love sativas and aim suit them mostly.
Ah. So I believe my little Cinderella 99s are right in that Sativa sweet spot? I’ve already supercropped and was planning to go to 12/12 once they start growing vertically. So I could go 11 on and 13 off to “switch” to flowering right off the bat? I’m embracing the opportunity to learn with these gals so, any reason why I shouldn‘t do what you are doing?

Back
Top Bottom