Update: CBD #1 Transplant and Flip
:cool:

Last Wednesday I took off the branches of the first node and they’ve been in water ever since. If I manage to clone them it will be a bonus. I won’t be able to try very hard. I have more seed for it :)

Later that same day, before lights-on, I prepped the 5gallon pot for transplant. To help keep out the gnatty gnat gnats I lined the bottom of the pot with PVC coated insect mesh. I couldn’t get the very fine weave I was after (out of stock locally) but what I got is ok and I put a double layer for good measure (checking first that it was going to drain OK);

I added mounds of soil to the middle of the pot first and pushed it out towards the edges to press the mesh against the sides of the pot.

I used the existing pot to set the height and the shape of the planting hole (‘reverse sandcastle’ method).

Sprinkled mycorrhizae in the hole...

And broke out the rootball!

The roots got ’scored’ on four sides. My blade could have been sharper - you (using a sharp and sterile blade) make a cut about 3/4” -1” deep from the bottom to about 2/3 the way up the side of the rootball. This helps the roots ‘bust out’ into the new soil.

Snug fit :thumb:

I added quite a bit more soil above that and watered it in fully with some microbial powder/root tonic added. I then covered the topsoil with a layer of a perlite/vermiculite blend - get throught that, gnats!.

It went into the tent, now cleaned and runnIng flowering lights overnight, 6pm-6am.

There’s kind of a rule not to put poorly plants in to flower. This one wasn’t poorly as such but it wasn’t as robustly ready as I’d like. It was a bit peakish from at least one week too long in that pot (probably 2) and I think it was getting a little light stress, getting closer and closer to the light in the veg box. I decided to just throw it into flower anyway - I need to get things moving or this part of the run won’t be done by Christmas!

Here it is 2 days later - still a little pale on top but pretty good really and improving, even if still with some pokey pointy down leaves down low.

That was Friday, and these below are this morning, so 2 days later. Good colour coming in to the top now and good posture at the top as well. Lower leaves still a bit downward pointing but improving and I’m happy w the new growth.

The soil was nice and moist enough to be ‘cloddable’ when I transplanted and I watered in with an additional 2.5L. I won’t water again now until I see/sense the edge of droop. Lots of root production happens this early in flower so it’s good to give one more wet-dry cycle after flip. Then be nice :)

I have adjusted the lights down in the tent to 250watts from the wall. If i count the space as 2.8 x 2.8 then I’m about 30w/sq ft. That seems low-ish but i flowered a single plant in there with 180w to the same panels (without the strips added) and it produced good buds. So, I’m experimenting with how to run the rig. I plan to pack the tent much much less and run my lights and fans lower all ‘round - so far it’s working really really well and temperatures are great in both spaces.

It’s a fair bit quieter too, which is good. Things got a bit loud there for a minute when i had heat issues. I trialled a good noise level app to check it and from my bed the sound of the flowering tent 2m away plus the veg box 3m away, plus the internal aircon, registered at 28dB - or just a hair above ‘breathing’.
:thumb:

Thanks for stopping by and sharing in my garden - I appreciate it a lot :green_heart:

I hope all are enjoying a relaxing weekend... mine was immensely so!

:love:
:Namaste:

Update: CBD #1 Transplant and Flip
:cool:

Last Wednesday I took off the branches of the first node and they’ve been in water ever since. If I manage to clone them it will be a bonus. I won’t be able to try very hard. I have more seed for it :)

Later that same day, before lights-on, I prepped the 5gallon pot for transplant. To help keep out the gnatty gnat gnats I lined the bottom of the pot with PVC coated insect mesh. I couldn’t get the very fine weave I was after (out of stock locally) but what I got is ok and I put a double layer for good measure (checking first that it was going to drain OK);

I added mounds of soil to the middle of the pot first and pushed it out towards the edges to press the mesh against the sides of the pot.

I used the existing pot to set the height and the shape of the planting hole (‘reverse sandcastle’ method).

Sprinkled mycorrhizae in the hole...

And broke out the rootball!

The roots got ’scored’ on four sides. My blade could have been sharper - you (using a sharp and sterile blade) make a cut about 3/4” -1” deep from the bottom to about 2/3 the way up the side of the rootball. This helps the roots ‘bust out’ into the new soil.

Snug fit :thumb:

I added quite a bit more soil above that and watered it in fully with some microbial powder/root tonic added. I then covered the topsoil with a layer of a perlite/vermiculite blend - get throught that, gnats!.

It went into the tent, now cleaned and runnIng flowering lights overnight, 6pm-6am.

There’s kind of a rule not to put poorly plants in to flower. This one wasn’t poorly as such but it wasn’t as robustly ready as I’d like. It was a bit peakish from at least one week too long in that pot (probably 2) and I think it was getting a little light stress, getting closer and closer to the light in the veg box. I decided to just throw it into flower anyway - I need to get things moving or this part of the run won’t be done by Christmas!

Here it is 2 days later - still a little pale on top but pretty good really and improving, even if still with some pokey pointy down leaves down low.

That was Friday, and these below are this morning, so 2 days later. Good colour coming in to the top now and good posture at the top as well. Lower leaves still a bit downward pointing but improving and I’m happy w the new growth.

The soil was nice and moist enough to be ‘cloddable’ when I transplanted and I watered in with an additional 2.5L. I won’t water again now until I see/sense the edge of droop. Lots of root production happens this early in flower so it’s good to give one more wet-dry cycle after flip. Then be nice :)

I have adjusted the lights down in the tent to 250watts from the wall. If i count the space as 2.8 x 2.8 then I’m about 30w/sq ft. That seems low-ish but i flowered a single plant in there with 180w to the same panels (without the strips added) and it produced good buds. So, I’m experimenting with how to run the rig. I plan to pack the tent much much less and run my lights and fans lower all ‘round - so far it’s working really really well and temperatures are great in both spaces.

It’s a fair bit quieter too, which is good. Things got a bit loud there for a minute when i had heat issues. I trialled a good noise level app to check it and from my bed the sound of the flowering tent 2m away plus the veg box 3m away, plus the internal aircon, registered at 28dB - or just a hair above ‘breathing’.

Thanks for stopping by and sharing in my garden - I appreciate it a lot :green_heart:

I hope all are enjoying a relaxing weekend... mine was immensely so!

:love:
:Namaste:
Dem roots...daaammmnn. Love those sexy black gloves too..lol. Looks like you had a busy day. All looking good.

What is the blue thing - is that a blade-less fan?
:thumb: Was a housewarming present to ourselves 6or so years ago, after we bought here. I have since ‘stolen’ it for the tent on numerous occasions. It’s nearly silent :cool: . Seeing as I dont run the tent throught the summertime, the Dyson still gets to do it’s house duties in the water months!

Dem roots...daaammmnn. Love those sexy black gloves too..lol. Looks like you had a busy day. All looking good.
:thumb: thanks again triple J

Hey - can you try to delete the pics from the quotes you make?

My internet connection stalls trying to load many pics so I always encourage folks to only quote what they need to and not to quote full posts with lots of pictures. Not a huge deal at all, but it would really help me in the future! :ciao:

Flawless surgical precision :ganjamon: :cheer:
:smokin:

Hey Amy, I just caught up on your journal and wow so much going on.
Love your nice and clean setup, beautiful plants and bug pics hehehe.
Ugly lil suckers but i love the frog haha.
Have a great 420 day!

take a scissors and cut right down the center of those buckles, the mesh will overlap and stay flat against the pot. For next time. :cheesygrinsmiley:
:thumb: I nearly did! But I was worried I’d make a hole in the wrong place. As it was I tried to make sure the buckles weren’t at the holes... but yes, pressing them against the edge as I filled with soil wasn’t So easy... so
For next time. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Hey Amy, I just caught up on your journal and wow so much going on.
Love your nice and clean setup, beautiful plants and bug pics hehehe.
Ugly lil suckers but i love the frog haha.
Have a great 420 day!
Hey Bionic Chronic! :thanks: and :welcome: to my little garden of Eden :passitleft:

Ive been slack lately on the critter photos - nice critters not pesty bugs! - but spring is springing here now so some proper camera time is not far way :)

You have a great 420 day yourself BC!

Looks healthy enough to me.
:thumb: its landed well. I was thinking i was prett stressed from the light stress but its recovering from that like a champ!

I removed some lower branches and leaves yesterday that were all bunched up below and getting left behind - it looks even better now :). Exciting prospect, new CBD!

Some thoughts about harvesting :reading420magazine:

I was writing to a friend who is about a month-6weeks away from their very first homegrown harvest (a Durban Poison, woohoo!) and realised it should just be a post here! I’ll follow up with some illustrative pics later...

Disclaimer: I blame all verbosity and wank 420% on Sour Bubba getting me all charged up and philosophical :love:
:passitleft:

While choosing when to harvest is often a matter of personal preference and choice (and also , sometimes, circumstance) there is definitely such a thing as the ‘harvest window’.

Harvesting too early can leave you with an overly racy high that doesn’t last very long. Too late, and THCa (the form of THC that is present in the plant) degrades too far and this is not usually desirable (although CBN(a) which THC(a) degrades to has some beneficial applications so there can be reasons to let things go long sometimes, with care). A late harvest can also increase the risk of mould and rot so it’s good to be mindful of that.

Here below is some collected wisdom from my time among many stellar gowers on the internet about when to harvest - 99.420% of which has of course been here on 420 mag!:
:green_heart:

As it gets close to the breeder’s estimated flowering time (anywhere from 7-8weeks in flower to 11-16+ weeks for long running Sativas) you start looking for the following signs:

- changes in aroma. Usually some changes happen close to the end and then settle - this can be an indicator.

- no more, or very few, new white pistil stigmas emerging and existing ones dried to orange/red/brown and receded in towards the bud. *Note that some sativas will keep producing a few stigmas, even when ‘ripe’.

- not so thirsty. They will seem to drink less. This can be a sign they are ‘finishing’.

- autumnal colours in the leaves. This is often at the very end. I’ll attach a few pics below.

- a general, overall ripeness which to me often just looks like *“I’m done mum!!”

- finally, at about week 8-9 I’ll start looking through the little jewellers loupe (like the one I gave you) at the trichomes on the buds looking for cloudy/milky trichome heads. In nearly every circumstance you want mostly cloudy, not too many clear or amber trichome heads. The levels of THC or CBD are both at their peak when trichome head is cloudy - looking like frosted glass. Over time, growers will get to know what they like in terms of this mix and how different strains/chemovars can vary in effects and potency based on harvest time.

*Diving into that “I’m done mum!” moment… To my mind, growing cannabis is both a science and an art and art is very often about knowing/feeling/sensing when something is ‘finished’ or ‘ready’.

The most beautiful part about this with cannabis is that many of us growing our own for our own use are able to decide based solely on what we like and what we need and so the variations are endless. Pour into that the whole symbiotic relationship between us and the plant. Every plant is a different friend, right?

So we absolutely have to have all the known *signs of ripening and senescence, but really they can only show us if the window is open(ing). We have to take the artful leap to decide every time, and every time it’s fresh and different and overtime it’s something that becomes more nuanced - like every artform. :love:

I don’t mean to overemphasise or wank on too much about it ;). It’s actually a very small moment in a grow I’m talking about - and sometimes it’s even decided by circumstance, or feels like it is. But we always do have to decide when to make the cut - the decision - and I just think it’s a very artisanal thing.
:yummy:

Great info. I'm in harvest mode right now and even though I know what to look for and the certain things that happen near the end. I always find myself searching for and reviewing information on harvesting when that time nears. The "window" is probably the most important decisions of the whole grow.
Nice article Amy..thanks

To my mind, growing cannabis is both a science and an art and art is very often about knowing/feeling/sensing when something is ‘finished’ or ‘ready’.

The most beautiful part about this with cannabis is that many of us growing our own for our own use are able to decide based solely on what we like and what we need and so the variations are endless. Pour into that the whole symbiotic relationship between us and the plant. Every plant is a different friend, right?

So we absolutely have to have all the known *signs of ripening and senescence, but really they can only show us if the window is open(ing). We have to take the artful leap to decide every time, and every time it’s fresh and different and overtime it’s something that becomes more nuanced - like every artform. :love:

Gorgeous!

I don’t mean to overemphasise or wank on too much about it
I blame all verbosity and wank

Please never apologise for your writing again! :Namaste:

Yes, all decisions are cuts in the possibility space. And I think some part of us always mourns the loss of possibility, even as we celebrate the fruits.

:green_heart:

Back
Top Bottom