Oh it’s not the contingency - it’s the longer term plan!! Building a proper “utility” cupboard. The tent has always been too taxing for my body and, for the record the zips are still in excellent order - it’s a Gorilla after all. So while it’s a quality piece of kit I’ll be happy to never use it again, but that says a lot more about me than the tent. It’s possible my newly-growing friend will be interested.

Bubba Hash an hour ago, just had dinner, I’ll definitely be asleep soon. ‘Specially if I finish that pipe now :love: :ciao:

Timewarp Harvest Report #1: CBD#1 :smokin:

Zooming us back to early December, my harvest festival began with a partial chop of the CBD#1 at 63 days since floweing began. This is a gorgeous variety with very sturdy growth structure and the cured buds have an earthy, orange peel and slightly chocolatey aroma.

This was a first-time grow of this new variety and I left it untopped which is something I like to do to get a good look at how a plant grows and flowers - and because its pretty.

Due mostly to my incapacity throughout the end of last year, I also left this one “unbottomed” :laughtwo: which, as you will see, was an excellent thing to do in order to learn to never do it again :nerd-with-glasses:. Always trim and tidy up the lowers, Amy - especially on this one!

I harvested at 9weeks from pistils in the tops and believe that this was already too late.

Harvest morning kicked off in the usual fashion...

Here’s the splendour of it’s overall shape basking in the sun. Such a great look, in spite of the impending disaster lurking beneath those skirts ;)

A fantastic looking plant that i will be very happy to grow again.

As noted I hadn’t pruned and cleaned up under the skirts at all and so I decided on a partial harvest. I chopped the top cola and first few satellite branches and this is what was left.

I made the perhaps ill-considered decision to let it stay in the sun to ripen for a few days And i wasn’t able to move it inside I overnight. 2 days later ...

:eek:

That came on quick. I went to work salvaging what i could of that and tossed the rest. The branches fro down under we’re stacked like this
And that bud production happened in almost complete shade. It gives a good indication that this could be a prolific producer.

From the lowers, I salvaged enough rot-free bud to make about 300ml of 12mg/ml topical oil.

Most of the buds from the initial harvest survived ok and I have about 1.5oz of them. And I’m stoked about that because its a really fantastic smoke!

I’ve not really enjoyed the smoking/toking of CBD buds before so this has been a lovely discovery and addition to my jars. The anxiolytic effect was much more obvious to me just from smoking (than with other smoked CBD) and it has a lovely non-high uplifting quality - chilled and happy. It tastes very nice, a bit like the orange chocolate actually, and is just a super, super relaxing carry-on-about-your-day-with-very-little-worry kind of toke. Extremely friendly. And also a good blend with other THC-potent varieties for a full spectrum effect without getting ripped off your tits - if that’s what is needed, and sometimes it is. Pain relief is also greatly enhanced toking it 1:1 with some THC bud.

I was also assessing this new soil during this grow and my jury is still out. I had a few challenges with gnats and I struggled a bit to get to know this soil and how it handles moisture (and the gnats don’t help with that!). But the gnats weren’t too bad. I am used to a much less dense, and mostly peat, base and while this mix was with a similar base and had tons of perlite, it was just a lot ‘heavier‘ than i’m used to in pots. It also seems very rich in not Irgun and lacking in other things. All the plants I’ve grown in it have sown tip burn and some mineral lack.

It suffered quite a bit from light stress up top too - damn its bright! :idea:

For a learning project - about the variety, and about the soil and more about my light - I will say it is, unequivocally, a resounding success. And in the search for more stable and high quality CBD vareties I also feel I have success. Ace do great work ad this CBD is no exception. Just lovely
:bravo:

I am stoked to finally have this one documented in the journal and am looking forward to filling that in for the rest of the 2020 grow over the next couple of days. Candida CD-1 is just full of surprises...

I dont have many critter pics from that time (predictably the camera wasn’t out much) but there is this one - zoomed in on from afar - a male fairy wren leading either 2 females or 2 young ones through the branches with many flicks-o’-the-feather!
View media item 1812852
Thanks for hanging in with me while I’ve let the journal be so quiet. Till soon...
:love:
:Namaste:

earthy, orange peel and slightly chocolatey aroma.
Sounds delish!
was an excellent thing to do in order to learn to never do it again
LOL! LOL!
Harvest morning kicked off in the usual fashion...
Lovely and amazingly clean piece of glass.

Here’s the splendour of it’s overall shape basking in the sun
Sparkly and foxtaily. Nice!
2 days later ...
Oof! That was sudden. I wonder if it was lurking anyway...
The branches fro down under we’re stacked like this
Amazing lowers. That's a very productive plant. :thumb:
I’ve not really enjoyed the smoking/toking of CBD buds before so this has been a lovely discovery and addition to my jars. The anxiolytic effect was much more obvious to me just from smoking (than with other smoked CBD) and it has a lovely non-high uplifting quality - chilled and happy.
Well isn't that nice! Sounds like some other CBD plant may be supplanted by this one ;). Do you know anything about the consistency of the cannabinoid content?
It suffered quite a bit from light stress up top too
That's what happens on the first go round. Next time it will have a lovely flat-top.

Excellent critter report!

Timewarp Harvest Report #1: CBD#1 :smokin:

I harvested at 9weeks from pistils in the tops and believe that this was already too late.

Great update, Amy!

I know that an earlier harvest is sometimes better THC-wise when you want that euphoric high but I thought that the longer the plant went, the better it was for CBD. Is that wrong? Is there a certain point when you know it's ready CBD-wise?

Your Fairy Wren is a lot prettier than our wrens.

wonder if it was lurking anyway...
I do believe so. I may have over watered, and I let it go too long. All good things to learn.
Sounds like some other CBD plant may be supplanted by this one ;).
No way no how! There will always be room in my medicine cabinet for the Candida CD-1 (and its CBD relatives) if I can get it. It is a magical dosing oil for me.

This one has a different character though so it will also be a regular. This one is more relaxing to smoke.
Do you know anything about the consistency of the cannabinoid content?
Well Ace guarantee it after quite a few years of development and testing. I’m pretty confident :)
Excellent critter report!
:love: they’re so fun to watch.
That's a very productive plant. :thumb:
:thumb:
Is that wrong?
Kind of.
Is there a certain point when you know it's ready CBD-wise?
Peak primary cannabinoid content is the same regardless - when the majority of trichomes are cloudy. THCa and CBDa the same.

I go earlier if I don’t want any CBNa and later if I do.

And also *everything in that post i made aages ago about harvesting. This one was looking overall ripe to me for a while before I chopped it, without looking at its trichomes.

Earlier harvests can also contain higher quantities of secondary cannabinoids like CBCa. That and this recent rot event will lead me to always lean earlier. I usually do unless I want CBN. It was a tricky time for me so I easily forgave myself!

And the CBN it did have is very likely part of its more relaxing quality - it’s also a quality I commonly experience with orangey or chocolatey terps though so it’s definitely a combination.

It was a post by @Mr Sauga that Hevenly picked up on.

He quotes it there and it seems to suggest that all the major cannabinoids degrade to CBN.
That's not how I read what he wrote.
HG said: Interesting! So this article is saying that CBD does become CBN? I knew THC would if left long enough, but I didn’t think that was true of CBD.
MrS said: I'm not so sure about that. I didn't pick up on that part.
What he quoted has no source and is pretty vague, and not supported by anything I can find.

I'd like to drop one more piece of reference info, and that is that even the NIH says this in an article discussing the "Quality Traits of “Cannabidiol Oils” (commercially available CBD oil):

"CBN was quantifiable in the vast majority of samples (except Oil_14). Its detection is of great importance as it is not considered to be a natural cannabinoid but rather an artefact formed by THC oxidation during plant aging, by use of an inadequate extraction procedure or inappropriate storage conditions...

"Considering CBN as a degradation product of THC, it would be better to think through the sum of THC+CBN as a relevant parameter for the evaluation of initial THC concentration in the oil extract."
[bold mine]
Source

If it were an artefact of CBD degradation they wouldn't consider it an indication of the original amount of THC in the bottle of CBD oil.

Back
Top Bottom