An experiment

I had to hang mine horizontally as well, thats why I asked. I devised a decent method but it takes a trip to a hardware store, a hack saw, and a little work. I'm gonna take some pics and get them approved.

no problem, I just finished taking the pics but I gotta go to class. I took one apart and took pics on each set for construction. I made it a little better as well. I'll put together a little how-to and post it around 6pm.

Step 1: Three basic parts- extension cord with light socket, metal zip clamp and a two foot section of unhinged metal ductwork.

Step 2: Place the metal zip clamp over an even section on the light socket.

Step 3: The long metal piece pictured here can only be best described a a metal plant hanger. There sold in the shape of removable door hooks, the kind that hook onto the top of the door. Once reshaping it, you will attach it like shown.

Step 4: Using two pairs of pliers or (better) Vice Grips the flat rod is bent into the shape shown. The overall length is up to you, I made my reflector's 1 foot long so the metal was bent accordingly.

Step 5: Once bent into the desired lengths the metal is clamped onto the light socket with the metal zip.

Step 6: Now you have what was pictured in Step 3. Place the top side of the flat metal rod in the middle of the underside of the metal ductwork. The ductwork can be reshaped into any U shaped design in order to house your bulb. I gave mine somewhat of a flat section in the middle in order to attach the metal rod.

Step 7:
Using a piece of duck tape, attach the rod to the ductwork. Make sure the duck tape is put on tightly creating a strong seal. Take a second piece, longer than the ductwork itself and split it down the middle. Use one piece on each side of the metal rod, reinforce the first piece of the duck-tape wrapping the ends of each piece over each end.

Step 8: This was my last little piece of this foil tape but it's made of metal and can be used to cover the duck tape

Step 9: At this point you can screw in the light bulb and your almost done. If you look closely you'll notice that the bulb is heavy enough to bow the metal rod and allows the light bulb to sink a little. I came up with a solution to this but it takes a little more work.

Step 10: For this you will need wire snippers and some metal wire

Step 11: Setting the reflector down with the socket at the bottom, use a hack saw to gently saw two slits on either side of the metal rod.

it should look like this

Step 12:
Hook a long piece of wire onto these slits as shown

Step 13: Tighly and firmly wrap the other ends of the wire around the base or socket part of your reflector.

Step 14:
Once again you can screw the CFL bulb into the socket. The wire may get the way a bit but as long as it doesn't touch the glass you will be fine. I over tightened my wire a little too much in the one shown below but since gravity will have an effect over time I'm not too worried.

And there you have it!

Thanks man it took forever. I made two of them and they rock. Much better than the way I was hanging the lights before.

Back
Top Bottom