another 1st time grower with a ton of questions

Mrs.greenthum

I have just started a grow room with a total of 30 seedlings going thus far. I am not growing in a box or a closet I have actually taken over a 12x12 bedroom. So far in the room we have a total of 18 gro-lux incandecent lights. My husband decided that a 1000w construction light thingy would work too but I have not allowed that in the room as of yet. My first question actually is about the walls and such.
On the advice of a fellow grower I was told to put a reflective paper on at least one wall. So I wallpapered one wall with tin foil. Is this OK? I was also told to black plastic the rest of the room. I am starting to think the friend is full of BS. Any and all help is very welcomed.

Flat white paint would be much better than wallpapering with tin foil, especially if under a tight budget. There are better options such as mylar in terms of reflective material properties, but are costly. Not sure what your budget is like. As far as lighting goes, a good general rule of thumb is 50 watts/sqft for HID lighting. If you plan on filling the entire room with plants, then 12x12=144sqft, 144x50=7200 watts needed, or roughly 7 1000 watt HID lights. Incandescents are probably not going to provide the lighting needed to grow your plants from start to finish.

I just did our room (appx 11x11) in mylar. got it from our local hydro store, as I like to help out locals if possible. Still have some left that I'll probably use around the plants. I think the roll cost 60bucks.

I'm not sure about the blacking out the rest of the room. I would think white paint or mylar all the way around would be better at reflecting light. I would assume that black would absorb your light, and be an inefficient use of your utility cost. But hey.. I'm new too.

Thank you for your information I will make a few changes as soon as possible. I am sure I will be back shortly with a few more questions

Can anyone tell me when the best time to transplant is? My plants are about two and a half weeks now and are in plastic party cups.

My suggestion would be to start a grow journal here on 420. It's near impossible to give well thought out, informed answers without seeing pics of the plants. In doing so, many people will follow your progress and help you with every single step of your grow and probably even give suggestions on what to do next before you ask. Check the journals out, participate and the knowledge will flow from everywhere. Best suggestion on transplanting is to do it before it is root bound, but after the plant is established enough to "hold" the soil together on it's own without falling apart while transplanting. Also, water plants before transplanting will help get them out of the pot.

I have looking into the mylar thank You for that. I have started a journal hopefully with a lil help these lil ones will grow grow grow.

Back
Top Bottom