Ant problem?

Rodrigo

Hello, boys and girls. This might be a little long as I am one of those people that explain everything to the smallest detail.

I'm having an issue that I don't quite know how to handle, and it might be nothing. (I grow hydro, using clay pellets as medium)

I'm at the end of my 8th week of flowering, and several weeks ago (almost as soon as I started flowering) I started to see ants roaming around.
It's summer here so it's very common to see ants everywhere collecting food for the colony and I didn't give it a second thought. Although this is the first time I've seen them inside the tent, I see one every now and then but it couldn't be described as 'ant activity', now that's what it is.

Then I started seeing them climbing one of the plants up and down and their presence became very noticeable.
Today I went to check on the girls and there were a lot of ants (a few dozens), enough to cause concern, climbing up and down and walking over the medium.
I don't think they're nesting in the medium because it floods three times a day.

Here's a video (
) I took with my phone.

So I did a bit of research and found that apparently they don't harm the plants and feed off the feces or traces left behind by other insect such as white flies.
Now, I do have other flying insects going around (not sure which, maybe thrips), they are there almost every cycle despite cleaning and disinfecting everything, I keep them under control using sticky paper, I rarely see them flying around but I can tell they keep reproducing as the paper catches more and more every day. There's no damage to the leaves or the plants so I don't bother much with them.

So I sprayed a little RAID (very carefully and slowly) on some point outside the tent where I saw ant roads and killed as many as I could with my fingers.
I know that this is not even close to be considered a solution, but at least killing a few of them makes me feel better hehehe.

So I have about 20 days left till harvest, at which point I normally remove and sanitize everything so I'll do my best to keep this from happening, plus summer will be almost over by the time I start the next flowering cycle (around the first week of March) so I don't think it will be a problem later.

So my question is, do I need to worry about the next 30 days? or is there anything I can do?

I wrapped the stem at the base with sticky paper so they won't be able to get up the plant that way, but the plants (there are three on the 1x1x2 mts tent) are big enough that the branches are touching each other and the sides of the tent, so they'll figure that soon enough.

I don't know if it means anything or it's purely coincidental, but the only plant the seem to like is the one that is budding slower than the other two (all the same strain, AK-48), no stunted growth otherwise, just the budding started a bit later and has gone a bit slower.

So anyways, if you're reading this line it means you took the time to read this huge text that described a very simple thing, so thank you for taking the time to do that and I appreciate any answer you might give me.

Good luck and Happy Growing!! :Namaste:

For the ants, you can get those traps where they walk in and then spread the toxin to their cousins and eventually hopefully they will all be gone. These are at every grocer store.

For the thrips, because you are so late in bloom, you can get a steamer like this
71IdavPhm-L_SL1500_.jpg

and steam the entire room, all parts of the plant, especially the soil. Don't destroy your plant with too much direct steam. Just steam everywhere you see them to cut down on the population as much as possible. Pests are the hardest part of growing! Left unchecked, they will never ever leave you. Glad you caught it soon! Have fun!

I think your other pests are gnats and aphids. Aphids leave honeydew and ants like that I believe. I could be mistaken. Auggie had this problem as well. His thread is in the growers lounge.

Yeah it might be that the antes are feeding on the honeydew left by other insects, but the thing is that they only roam around one plant.

It's like this, I have two long planters about 80x20x30cm (as you can see in the video) the one on the left has 2 plants in it, both AK-48, one from seed and one clone. These two are about the same size and present the most growth in the buds, they are in great health and look fantastic. As you can see in the video, there's a long sticky paper along the base, this catches most gnats, thrips, whiteflies and everything else that goes into the medium, they inevitably fly into it.
The strip on this side is really full of bugs.

On the right side planter, I only have this one plant, also AK-48 and grown from seed same as the other. Also in great health, but a little late on the budding as I explained, but I think I know why that is and it's not bug related. There's very few insects trapped on the paper as you can see in the video, and this is the plant that the ants seem to like. I haven't seen even one on the other two plants.

So for some reason they seem to have claimed their turf haha.

Anyways, never mind the pests, they never become a problem for me so I'm not worried, specially with only a couple of weeks left. What I'm concerned about at this time is the ants.

I have never seen ant traps here (Chile) but I will take a look. All I need to know is should I worry about the ants, after this harvest I have to do a really good cleanup (for other reasons) so in the future I don't believe it will be a problem. I'm only concerned about the next 3-4 weeks.

In my experience when I see ants in my Garden it is Aphids, Aphids are sucking the plant juice and shitting out a sugary substance, Honey dew shit, then the ants eat there sweet shit. ;). I had a rhubarb plant infested with aphids and ants one year, it made great compost.

Funny thing... After placing the sticky tape at the base of the stem they went away, apparently they weren't as clever as I thought and couldn't find another way up.

The next day after posting I saw mild activity when the water was turned on, so those that were under the medium climbed atop and by the day after they were gone.

I'm definitely addressing the pest problem after harvest, as I've said, they always find their way in at some point but I keep them in check so they've never really become a problem or harm the plants.

Thanks everyone for their input. If you ever have ants, just put some sticky paper around the base of the stem, in my case only one of them was stupid enough to get caught, apparently the others were smarter and just went away.

Good luck and Happy Growing!! :Namaste:

I have Ants in my house every year, regular black ants, and every now and then the huge black ones, I had to dig up there hill, they were back within a week so I used high pressure sprayer with a 5hp motor to literally blast right down to the depths of the coloney I smashed everything. Then they took up residence in my raised beds. That's when I used poison :(

Back
Top Bottom