Anxiety - anyone else w/MMJ for this? Have questions

QuincyKat

I have recently started smoking for an anxiety disorder with panic attacks. My doctor was not sure what to recommend since he does not smoke himself.

I have been using purple erkle mixed with this bud that smells like lemons and so far it works pretty good when I catch the attack in time. I only take 2-3 hits and the symptoms start to fade all except my heart rate. BP goes down to normal and I feel relaxed but my heart rate stays up there for a while (usually around 20 min and as long as 45).

What strains are you using to help with this? Any suggestions? I started growing. I have 5 different indica dominate strains but they are still little and won't be ready for a while.

Thank you

Blue Dream was specifically developed for Anti-Anxiety and Anti-Depression. Look for the "fluffier" variety, as it tends to be more uplifting/sativa. Space Princess (ie Dream Queen) is another good choice for anxiety. :goodluck:

:peace:

Marijuana is a stimulant as far as your heart is concerned. So that's probably normal.

Buy a notebook, keep notes of everything you do garden wise and maybe for awhile medication wise.

Find your local grower-greenthumb guru guy. (there's one you just gotta figure out who he is). Buy him a coffee. Bring your notebook. Have him find you a low-key sativa strain. Indica is the stronger of the main 2 strains used for medicinal use. Mainly used for pain I believe.

Personally i find that my anxiety comes on much worse on High THC content meds -- if I run out of a more bouncy energetic sativa, it's not such a weight on my shoulders. Some of the Bud here in cali is very very high in THC. If you look at it from a strictly medical standpoint your kinda taking oxyconten when maybe you only need a zanax.

Good luck! You've found the right medicine, just don't believe EVERYTHING your told. Do your own research! And keep growin.
:cheer:

Thanks NagHunter. I am definitely keeping a notebook, regarding my grow and my use. I went to a collective and came home with a few different strains the first one I tried was white widow... took 2 hits...nothing.... took a third and started to feel it, so I put it down and it proceeded to lay me out. I am a light weight. It also made me kinda feel like I was having a panic attack..... then it mellowed out and wore off pretty fast (within a hour or so). That was kinda disappointing since one of the plants I am growing is an Afghan - White Widow cross...hmmmmmm

Definitely doing a lot of research and I know everyone is different.
Thanks for the advice and I will just keep trying different things until I find the right one.

Thanks
Kat

Actually - avoid Sativas completely if you are having panic issues. The indica strains produce more of a body high that will relax you, while the sativas work mainly on the brain, producing spacey/trippy/highly energetic buzzes. Based on past experience and that of others - you want an nice hybrid or indica for anxiety relief.

:peace:

Thanks NCal, I am growing 4 different strains right now. All but one are indica dominant and it is a 50/50. Got up last night since I could not sleep and reloaded with a little blue dream. It was smooth and gave me the perfect amount of relaxation to be able to fall asleep and not wake up groggy so I could go to work. So far it is the best one I've tried.

Thanks for lookin out
Kat

I'm with 420Cyclist as far as staying away from heavy Sativa strains if you have panic/anxiety issues. I suffer from that myself and have found that heavy Sativas will often get me started down the panic road - nerves jangled, formless worry attaching to whatever crosses the mind, unreasonable fear, etc. A nice heavy Indica, on the other hand, tends to relax and calm me. I've also found that I don't get the 'couch-lock' effect many talk about with Indicas.

Sativas CAN still be nice, BTW: I will often smoke a bowl or two of Indica, then hit a bowl of Sativa and go back to the Indica. This gets me the positive mental benefits of the Sativa without the fear and anxiety - I just have to REALLY moderate the Sativa intake relative to the Indica or problems will often arise.

Having used, among others, Xanax, Ativan and now Cannabis by legal prescription, I must say that Indica Cannabis is by far the best anxiety treatment for me. While I do still carry Ativan in some cases, I haven't taken any in months and use it primarily as a 'security blanket' when I'm at work where Cannabis possession/use is out of the question. Without that need, the Ativan would have been introduced to Mr. Toilet long ago.

There are still many different Indica and Hybrid strains to try, of course - some are better than others for the purpose. I've had good luck with a lot of the Kush strains myself. Best of luck to you! :tokin: :cheer:

Hi There DL-toker

so glad people are still reading this thread. I have a few different strains that i am growing since I am still trying to figure out what works the best. I bought some White Widow from the collective I belong to, tried it, and nope not for me. Took 4 hits off my pipe of that and it incapcitated me for about 3 hours. So, I gave that to a friend of mine that likes that and he gave me a lemon skunk. It's okay. My favorite right now is blue dream. It is a cross, but give just enough to relax me but not put me under. And BTW 2 hits are enough for this light weight. I have several kush strains growing, jack herer, tnt, veneno, and blue dream. But I do keep my ativan handy as well. Funny how employers will accept that ( which has many side fx for me) but not the mmj that works.

I'll keep checking back and letting everyone know whats working for me.

Kat

Santa maria
Thai if its good
Chocolope
Blueberry
Kalinga if ya can find it
White widow
Romulan
Super silver haze
Grapefruit
a few are more sativa but i to have issues with the same thing. a brain injury to boot! the cannabis helps like nothin else, NOTHIN!
hope you have a good grow! some of those autos are good and done in 60 days from sprout.
peace

I dont want to sound like a heel but maybe xanax is better for panic attacks than marijuana. In fact, marijuana could make a panic attack worse. I suffer from panic attacks as well and when I feel a panic attack coming on i take 3 mg of xanax and a 15 minutes later im fine after drinking a bottle of water and avoiding all food and sugar. Also, a joint of some Bubba Kush or some OG Kush or some Chem Dawg works well if my xanax isn't around.

Growing247 said:
I dont want to sound like a heel but maybe xanax is better for panic attacks than marijuana. In fact, marijuana could make a panic attack worse. I suffer from panic attacks as well and when I feel a panic attack coming on i take 3 mg of xanax and a 15 minutes later im fine after drinking a bottle of water and avoiding all food and sugar. Also, a joint of some Bubba Kush or some OG Kush or some Chem Dawg works well if my xanax isn't around.

Ultimately, it's all about what works for you. Personally, I hate what Xanax did to me (worked but zombie-fied me for hours, even at 1/4 mg dose). Ativan's better on side-effects but still not desirable if I have the option of an Indica bowl/jay/etc. - the pharma pills work well but are highly addictive.

Cannabis is not addictive, doesn't harm my liver and is almost always up to the task of calming me down. Your mileage can and will vary. If pharma meds over Cannabis are right for you for this problem, so be it. You should, by all means, do what's right for you.

Everyone's different. For me, medical-grade Indica Cannabis is the way to go for anxiey. I'm glad to have the pharma meds, but only for when Cannabis use is out of the question.

Thanks for chiming in - it's good to get many viewpoints..people...different...all that...:Namaste:

+1 for Cannabis instead of Xanax...I was on 0.5mg to 1mg, 2-3 times per day and HATED the side effects (senses dulled/no motivation/liver). I was also on Zoloft at the time and the combined side effects darn near cost me my marriage and sanity.

It really is all about what works for YOU.

I have friends that can't smoke Sativa's at all due to anxiety/paranoia, and yet SkinnyChef lists a bunch of Sativa's for his anxiety. Personally, I prefer Blue Dream. I can get as many different medical strains as I want as a legal CA 215/420 patient and Strain Reviewer/Photographer (via Collectives & Growers), but I always have some Blue Dream around for the anxiety.

:goodluck:

:peace: and :Namaste:

Wow, all kinds of great info.

I am in the test phase of all of this.

I have never tried xanax. My Dr. prescribed celexa for depression and ativan for my attacks and gave me a mmj recommendation on top of it. But with the advice not to use mmj and ativan at the same time.

What I have found so far is ativan does work for the attacks, but my attacks mostly come when I am driving...can't drive after I take even 1/2 an ativan. Also only taking 1/2 an ativan before I go to bed is still a problem because I am still really groggy in the morning and I have to go to work.

So, I have found that smoking mmj before bed time is perfect after a particularly stressful day it let me relax enough to fall asleep and get a good rest (and, lack of sleep is part of the problem, not being able to shut my head off at night is one of the things that causes my stress that leads to my attacks) and is completely worn off by the time I need to get up and get ready for work. Ativan is my last resort back up, after all having a panic attack also leaves me completely exhausted. Deep breathing also works pretty good to just work thru an attacked when I can't take anything for it.

Now for strains. I tried White Widow, the effects from that made my attack worse, so I gave it all away. I have tried Chocolope, I like this strain. It has a smooth smoke, smells awesome, no burn, cough or harsh anything about it. Blue Dream I like the same as Chocolope. I have tried purple erkle, that one is a lot harsh and is pretty strong like White Widow for me (not a big fan). I have tried one that smelled like lemons, I don't know what it was (was given to me by a friend). It is kinda harsh, had a real hot smoke, felt like it burned my throat....(not a fan).

But, I do agree, that we are all different in what works the best for one may not be the right choice for another. I have found that a pure indica renders me useless, so I definitely only smoke that at night. Pure sativas get me a little too up, so I prefer a mix.

I will keep updating for the next one I try.

Thanks
Kat

Quincy -

Be careful with Chocolope. It is a sativa that can have those upbeat/anxiety inducing tendencies, depending on the grow. Just a word of warning that your next sample of Chocolope might be a bit "racier."

I'm glad you are getting this figured out. Let me know if you have any other questions, and I'll be more than happy to help out if I can.

:peace: and :Namaste:

Ooooh, good to know. I did notice something like that with the Erkle I tried (same grower), the first few times I used that it was ok, little harsh, but ok. Then the last time I did not like at all.

So, I will keep that in mind.

Thanks
Kat

I'm with 420Cyclist as far as staying away from heavy Sativa strains if you have panic/anxiety issues. I suffer from that myself and have found that heavy Sativas will often get me started down the panic road - nerves jangled, formless worry attaching to whatever crosses the mind, unreasonable fear, etc.

I smoked a hybrid strain, I think it was Romulan, and I began what you described as formless worry and chills. Many uncomfortable visions were imagined while I closed my eyes and attempted to sleep. I don't regularly medicate and only do so on occasion, so I realize being more sensitive to effects is normal. I'm growing for the first time and planted some Afghan Kush/Black Domina, Exodus Cheese, and NL/Big Bud. A rodent or slugs got to the lower water leaves on two of them, but have since moved them and they look nice and healthy. I'm interested in trying them. Back in the mid 80's there was a strain someone referred to as Humboldt Sense in the SF Bay Area. It was the most relaxing, spiritual, and comforting feeling that stood out more than any other type I've tried. It had a sweet herbal and earthy taste that was very pleasurable also. I wish I knew what it was or if it still exists under another name.

That is my goal: to find a strain that goes down smooth and brings on a nice relaxed feel. I don't want to feel "stoned" or anxious. I am really hoping that my Vanilla Kush is that strain. Most of my plants are a kush strain of some sort. I do have a Jack Herer and a Coastal Blue Dream, they look sativa dominant.....

I too, only smoke on occasion and only at night, mainly because I don't know how some strains will affect me. I am a light weight also. Back in high school I smoked ALOT and at any time, but I am not that girl anymore.

I have an Afghan Kush/White Widow cross and a Jedi OG Kush both in flower and they smell very inviting. I will let you all know how it works out for me.

Thank you for all your input
Kat

hi there Quinc,

same here with tired of xanax etc. Prefer good hash, as the name hints to, but that is a rarity unless I make a little on occasion.

a lot of the commercial around here seems to make the attacks seem a little worse or even bring them on. The lack of good bud led me and my friend to start growing for head stash. We did a northern light first. Then a 5 strain grow finished about a month ago. We were actually disappointed with the out come of the second grow, except for the white widow. Don't get me wrong all the pot is good, but none is great or as described by the breeder descriptions.

Super Skunk, Papaya (which was supposed to be real relaxing), Kandy Kush, White Widow (which was the best all around buzz) and Vanilla Kush ( the best at relaxation of the mind and body) not a couch lock and no head racing of a million thoughts. Simple mellowing high IMHO.

BUT; the most impressive thing I have been doing is mixing combos of the strains in different concoctions. example. super skunk x white widow was freaking great. My friend actually wondered where I scored the good pot.
The most relaxing was the Vanilla Kush x White Widow.(you'll wanna be near an lazy-boy recliner)

Anyway, perhaps try mixing a thing or two that might give you the results you are looking for.

That is my goal: to find a strain that goes down smooth and brings on a nice relaxed feel. I don't want to feel "stoned" or anxious. I am really hoping that my Vanilla Kush is that strain. Most of my plants are a kush strain of some sort. I do have a Jack Herer and a Coastal Blue Dream, they look sativa dominant.....

I considered Vanilla Kush as well. Let me know what you think of it since we both seem to favor certain types for the same reasons. I also live in Northern Cal and am interested to know what others experience. Everyone's different and all these hybrids and strain titles can be quite confusing to those unfamiliar, or out of the loop for awhile like myself.

I too, only smoke on occasion and only at night, mainly because I don't know how some strains will affect me. I am a light weight also. Back in high school I smoked ALOT and at any time, but I am not that girl anymore.

I smoked often for a few years in my youth also. Back then (80's), there were only a few kinds to my knowledge. There were Indicas and Sativas. Some had a fruity smell from Humboldt and Mendocino. There was quite a bit of what people called Chocolate Thai back then, and smoked some Maui Wowie. The Thai was heavy sedation and the Maui made me feel like a current of electricity was flowing through me while everything observable was so humorous my stomach was aching.
:biglaugh:

I have an Afghan Kush/White Widow cross and a Jedi OG Kush both in flower and they smell very inviting. I will let you all know how it works out for me.

Thank you for all your input
Kat

I'm looking more toward the Kush as well, Kat. I mistakenly tried some Green Crack, Jack the Ripper and both of those were wrong for me. The smoke was harsh in addition to the racing thoughts of concern. I tried a Cheese strain and another called Game Changer, both were smooth and relaxing with pleasurable scents and tastes.

Back
Top Bottom