Any help my female ready for harvest or nahh?

GrimReefer513

so.... my baby is obviously a sativa, it's Oct 24th, it's getting chilly, but she's looking phenomenal however there's still about 10% white hairs i don't have a powerful enough microscope or magnify glass right now to tell by trichome however its obviously not amber yet. i took a pic on a really nice Samsung and zoomed in about 3/4 days ago and they appeared to still be clear. however today they look great. i would really like someones opinion on when i should pull her. After Friday is cold rain. a lot of it. but i also don't want her to be in too long. I've been very patient thus far and even built a cage for her. what do you guys think I should do? there's about only 10% white hairs and she's getting purple. And what about 48 hrs of darkness?? I heard I should do that???

I've never given my plants 48 hrs of darkness before the chop. I'd chop her at first light in the morning. Just cutting through the main stem will do. You can have coffee and breakfast while contemplating the job ahead.

She sounds pretty much ready. What's in the forecast after Friday & Saturday? If you have three or four rain free days, I'd give her that time to finish.

What @Old Salt said.

I'll add that if you have a Sativa plant, some never turn amber (usually dont) and will continue to put out new pistols (white hairs) up to day of chop.

Also Sativa will continue to put out new trichomes as well which will be clear. This is why Sativa has an uplifting effect. There are many clear trichomes. It's just how they grow.

Like Old Salt said, look to the weather forecast - pay attention to night time temps and humidity and the dew point. If you have a coolish to cold night with high rH - likely there will be a dew point reached with temps. Thats going to be 100% rH. I would chop before that or any rain in the forecast.

perfect advice guys thats exactly what i did. shes hangin up now and im searching for curing supplies! she smells freakin fantastic!!!! i covered her up and at about around 4 or 5 when my buddy could stop by we chopped her down n trimmed her up good saving everything and being super neat about it. its all hung here i can post a pic

Here's a quick one and I need curing supplies. Probably 32 oz Mason jars idk yet though

Attachments

• 20191025_164051.jpg
    20191025_164051.jpg
    852 KB · Views: 80
Congrats on your harvest - yeah string and hanger wire. Thats the old school method of drying. I'm in the middle of a move and just trimmed up some I had hanging just like that.

Mind your indoor rH - if its dry like 40-50% rH the buds will dry pretty fast on the outside but still will be wet in the center. I like to hang dry like that in say 60%rH that will be significantly slower drying but better more even dry which is good.

If the flowers are crispy on the outside and wet in the middle you will have to burp the jars every day or 2x a day or even leave the lids off for a few hours.

Look into Boveda packs 62% - they will be perfect for your mason jars its what I use.

Look into Boveda packs 62% - they will be perfect for your mason jars its what I use.

I really like those stick style temp/humidity gauges that will fit in your jars, as you have a much better idea what RH it is at and can avoid being too dry or too wet and taking a chance on mold. They not all that expensive ($20 to me worth way more than having to toss an oz due to mold issues ;) ) and even if you don't have enough for all the jars you can switch to a different jar once you get one locked into what RH% you wanting, as personally I like my smoke slightly lower than the 62% (closer to 60).

62% is the perfect rH for curing.

I Vape so all I do is take a few buds out of curing and into and small nug container and it is dry enough to roll a fatty or puff a bowl or vape after sitting out a few hours.

60% is fine. The 62% Boveda packs I suggested are for long term curing and storage.

I've got flowers in C-Vaults 5 years old - still good.

Check you local thrift stores for Mason jars. I found a bunch at a local thrift store, including a whole new wrapped case for less than half the price of retail. Even if you find just the jars, you should be able to find collars & lids at you local grocery store, at least you can around my neck of the woods.

if you eat pasta you should never need jars lol

i re-use the catelli and classico pasta sauce jars. there are loads of other food products marketed in mason jars. i have a bunch from alcohol sold in the jars too. bought one case of jars this fall and have not even opened them.

I've been using the amber Ball jars. They block out 99% of UV.
I don't have to be as anal about keeping them in a dark place. It is supposed to help keep fragrance and flavor of herbs etc.
I can't afford the C- vaults or I'd be using those.
They do have a higher price point than many of the other types. I've been very happy with them.

Here's a quick one and I need curing supplies. Probably 32 oz Mason jars idk yet though

I use the 64oz jars with 67gm, 62% Boveda packs. They are good, the only caveat being that the bud settles and compacts a little more than in the one quart jars. Mine sit in the jars for about a month, and get sent to the rosin press. A dozen is usually more than enough for a harvest.

Back
Top Bottom