Any idea what's causing this?

Kraysis

420 Member
Hello been having this problem here and there from about the 2nd week of being planted outdoors(june 10th) but seems to be getting worse and not sure what it is. Plants are WW photo fem(4 of them) in soil(equal part mix) a mix of promix, soil from old pig/horse yard, and a 1-1-1compost in about 100gal plots, gave them 20-8-8 slow release 1st week june and 8-20-20 slow release first of august(about 1/2cup each for each plant), water ph is roughly 6.3-6.8, bugs around that i have seen are slugs, grasshoppers, and about a week ago some aphids but very few, and regular outdoor bugs you usually see in the country. Haven't watered much as moisture meter is usually always to the moist/wet side of things but never feels wet a few inches down. Could this be root rot? I have a 80x i looked over plants pretty good and didnt see any mites or anything like that. Other than those tops(there are more that the attached pic) the plants seem to look ok, plants look happy in morning and thru the day and sleepy at night. Anyone know what is the cause of this? Any help or info would be great, thanks :)

Just read you post properly i havent done much outdoor growing but that looks like overwatering to me let it really dry out before watering again
Nice ty for the reply, was kinda leaning toward too wet, this is my first grow, other than just letting it dry out is there anything i can or should do to the messed up looking tops? Or just let it do its thing?

True true sounds like you could possibly have a drainage problem. Let it dry right out till the point where it really needs a drink then water it other than that the only thing i could think of would be transplanting but that could be a mission given the size of your plant
And i was worried they wern't getting enough water lol so lame, ohwell know better for next year, thanks for taking the time to help out

You got something else besides water issues...looks like something is chewing on her
Any ideas? I seen slugs and grasshoppers eating them but overall not bad, haven't been able to spot anything else except aphids but they are very few like one or two on the stems here and there haven't caught any on the leaves yet

Possibly Russet Mites.
I should be able to see those right? I have one of those glass things think its 60 or 80x mag, i went over them a few times and haven't been able to see anything, i'll be looking again today i'm sure, and theres nothing really you can do if its russet mites right?

They are right in the ground, i ment to say plots not pots, i dug out about 100gal holes and filled them in with my soil mix. First thing i thought was root rot or root type issue, my first attempt at growing so not 100% on what im doing figure check what others think. Going to try pots next year i think, hope it wont be a total waste this year

They are right in the ground, i ment to say plots not pots, i dug out about 100gal holes and filled them in with my soil mix. First thing i thought was root rot or root type issue, my first attempt at growing so not 100% on what im doing figure check what others think. Going to try pots next year i think, hope it wont be a total waste this year

Also the time release nutrients best to stay away from, as you no control over it so if too much of some nutrient at the wrong time nothing you can do, especially if in the ground as not like you can try and flush it out. Same as you can chase deficiencies and all of a sudden boom it decides to release and back to toxic levels again.

It is usually called leaf curling. Problem is that many people refer to any leaf distortion as curling or clawing. My 2 cents on this is that the research should be directed towards an insect first and then towards a possible fungus problem.

Some insects will lay eggs just under the surface of a leaf and the plant grows around the eggs causing the curling. Or, once the eggs hatch the larvae will eat around the area and the leaf curls as it tries to recover from the damage. A lot more common than most people realize. Those plants usually recover. Similar problems hit a lot of shade and ornamental trees.

Fungus will sometimes cause the same sort of twisting, curling and bending. I see it all the time on fruit trees and after a couple of years it can be a disaster.

Take one of the leaves from the 3rd photo down. Run your finger over the bumps. Do this top and bottom. You should be able to tell if there is something inside.

Plants are pretty far along so whatever the problem is, it is unlikely to cause a loss of the plant and harvest. If you can find out what it is then you will be ready to fight it during next season's outdoor grow.

Back
Top Bottom