Any idea why these Boveda humidity packs not working?

OMGReptar

For some reason my 67g Boveda 62% humidity packs aren’t working. I have the buds in mason jars after drying and I put the packs in. The humidity isn’t rising at all. I’m not sure why. Do I need to change the temperature in the house?

These dried for 7 days. It would have been longer, but I accidentally left my LED grow light on for 2 days which dried them more than I would have hoped for. Is this the cause for the humidity packs not working in the mason jar environment though?

999749CE-0CBC-48BC-BFD6-6B982986AD02.jpeg

18EC0586-15F3-4205-9C33-1B0918A79F1A.jpeg

For some reason my 67g Boveda 62% humidity packs aren’t working. I have the buds in mason jars after drying and I put the packs in. The humidity isn’t rising at all. I’m not sure why. Do I need to change the temperature in the house?

These dried for 7 days. It would have been longer, but I accidentally left my LED grow light on for 2 days which dried them more than I would have hoped for. Is this the cause for the humidity packs not working in the mason jar environment though?

Boveda packs DO NOT raise humidity; they are designed to keep the humidity where it is when they are put in the jar UP TO 62%.

I suggest reading more about curing and drying weed - there's a ton of great posts here that will help you.
Personally O dry for 5 days then trim, and jar everything. I put a Boveda pack in (the same one you're using) and try to keep the jars at >55%. I burp daily for some time. After about two weeks from harvest it is okay to smoke but gets better for almost 2 months.

Thanks, admittedly I spent a lot of my research efforts on the grow aspect and not the harvest aspect.

After doing some reading, it appears that I’ve dried the buds too far. Idk if they can be rehydrated and put through a cure. Or do they just get smoked now with no cure since they are too far dried?

If your humidity is sitting high 40’s, you over dried a bit. Boveda packs will bring back SOME humidity, but you’ll want to shoot for closer to 60% when they go in. As a side note, I feel like bovedas kill the taste when used to bring really low humidity back up, so I try to avoid it now. Slow and low drying is the way to go to prevent over drying and maximize taste. Lots of good threads here on that and other ways to maximize taste/cure now that you’ve got the growing part down.

I do not think you can rehydrate buds though I have had some luck in placing fresher buds into the jar. I suspect that's not a real solution though.

That said, seal your jars with the Boveda's. Burp every day, watch the smell to make sure it stays fresh and funky. In my experience it can rise slightly for a few days. I've had some as low as 52% and they cure well. Here's some of the feedback I got from one of my mentors here @Moto258 that helped me a lot.

I read a lot of curing stuff these days and my biggest surprise was, after 5-6 months of growing I'm in for another 3-6 weeks to properly dry and cure my grow. I was careful and still got a little too dry. That said, I am at 55% for most jars and the smell is amazing!

Reading this made me go dig around in the back shelf of my stash.

I did an overdrying experiment the year before last. One batch of Strawberry Blue bud which I dried normally, and then two other small jars of the same bud which I dried completely to a crisp.

Then I rehydrated one of the crispy ones, and put them all away to cure.

So I revisited those jars today after 15 months and I was surprised to find out the rehydrated stuff actually did recover quite a lot of it smell over time. Here’s a link to that thread

I do not think you can rehydrate buds though I have had some luck in placing fresher buds into the jar. I suspect that's not a real solution though.

That said, seal your jars with the Boveda's. Burp every day, watch the smell to make sure it stays fresh and funky. In my experience it can rise slightly for a few days. I've had some as low as 52% and they cure well. Here's some of the feedback I got from one of my mentors here @Moto258 that helped me a lot.

I read a lot of curing stuff these days and my biggest surprise was, after 5-6 months of growing I'm in for another 3-6 weeks to properly dry and cure my grow. I was careful and still got a little too dry. That said, I am at 55% for most jars and the smell is amazing!
I’ve never been brave enough to use anything other than my nose:rofl:

and an awesome nose it must be based on some of the pics I have seen you post my friend.
I’ve also noticed if placing the buds all in separate jars from tops, middles and larf it helps out a whole lot out of your curing if it gets a little dry on your top buds drying too quickly. Depending on when and how you fed and harvested your plant your tops dry quicker than the lowers in my observation. And if your running into drier humidity levels in one jar throw some higher humidity jar nuggets into that one to try and bring in some more moisture but once in it’s too dry on ya it’s hard to get it back.
Thanks DRey!!:passitleft:

What’s the humidity and temp like now currently where your jars are stored? If your not down to at least 59-60% in the cure yet In my opinion the room can definitely mess with your cure my friend. At least that’s the case with the jars used here maybe there not sealed completely and that’s why I get the thrown off levels sometimes. Smell is another key sometimes you get that cure that tastes and smells just like it did in late flower if your able to keep them terps in the buds long enough threw the cure process.

I just wanted to come back and update everyone and everyone who will read this that I was able to rehydrate my buds. They are now sitting around 62% humidity consistently with a Boveda pack.

In order to hydrate them, I dampened a paper towel, folded it up and taped it to the bottom of the lid. Then I closed the jar and left it for 24 hours. Checked back and my humidity went up. I burped the jar for 30 minutes and then put the lid with the paper towel back on for another 12 hours. I burped the jar, removed the paper towel closed the jar and checked after 10+ hours and my humidity in the jar is sitting at 62%. There is a Boveda pack in there to maintain that humidity. My buds feel muuuuuuch less crispy than they did before and smell is beginning to improve.

I just wanted to come back and update everyone and everyone who will read this that I was able to rehydrate my buds. They are now sitting around 62% humidity consistently with a Boveda pack.

In order to hydrate them, I dampened a paper towel, folded it up and taped it to the bottom of the lid. Then I closed the jar and left it for 24 hours. Checked back and my humidity went up. I burped the jar for 30 minutes and then put the lid with the paper towel back on for another 12 hours. I burped the jar, removed the paper towel closed the jar and checked after 10+ hours and my humidity in the jar is sitting at 62%. There is a Boveda pack in there to maintain that humidity. My buds feel muuuuuuch less crispy than they did before and smell is beginning to improve.
Please update us on how things are going in another couple of days and then maybe once a week. I am pretty sure that there are several who would be interested in if it continues to hold the humidity level over time.

I’ve also noticed if placing the buds all in separate jars from tops, middles and larf it helps out a whole lot out of your curing if it gets a little dry on your top buds drying too quickly. Depending on when and how you fed and harvested your plant your tops dry quicker than the lowers in my observation. And if your running into drier humidity levels in one jar throw some higher humidity jar nuggets into that one to try and bring in some more moisture but once in it’s too dry on ya it’s hard to get it back.
Thanks DRey!!:passitleft:
Same here! The big pretty top colas are always much drier than the rest.

*UPDATE*
My buds still feel rehydrated after about a week and a half. Humidity still sitting at 62%. Pic shows them at 61%, but I opened the jars to burp them and closed them a little while ago.

E5A9424D-8AFA-49D0-BD81-BEAE28D6801F.jpeg

*UPDATE*
My buds still feel rehydrated after about a week and a half. Humidity still sitting at 62%. Pic shows them at 61%, but I opened the jars to burp them and closed them a little while ago.

E5A9424D-8AFA-49D0-BD81-BEAE28D6801F.jpeg
Even if you rehydrate them the curing process has ended. I have made enough mistakes to know you can't cure your buds after you overdry them. Keep your bodeva packs in . All your doing now is trying to get it back to the point where its at least smokablle with out ripping your lungs out. Sorry.

Even if you rehydrate them the curing process has ended. I have made enough mistakes to know you can't cure your buds after you overdry them. Keep your bodeva packs in . All your doing now is trying to get it back to the point where its at least smokablle with out ripping your lungs out. Sorry.
To be completely honest, I’ve already smoked a few times lol. Nice and smooth!

To be completely honest, I’ve already smoked a few times lol. Nice and smooth!
Great, nothing more heartbreaking than doing all that work to ruin you weed.
There must have been some moisture left , I have made mistakes before and don't like to see anyone else have same problem. :peace: :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom