Any negative effects if switching light from 18/6 to 24?

Lifeandtimes

Hey everyone.

I currently have a skunk #1 in the veg stage for 5 weeks with 18 hours of light 6 off,she's about 9 inches tall.

I'm a bit impatient and want her to grow taller quicker to around 18 inches before I activate her flowering stage so I was wondering if there are any negative effects of changing the light schedule to 24 until I'm happy she's tall enough and then flower her?

Even im 24 hr cycle, plants sleep when required(exhale co2 and intake O, no photosynthèse...) like any other living creature. so actually you wont help her grow but impose a light stress. Imho stick to 18-6

Direct light inhibits growth, that is why plants grow towards the sun.

Your plants will grow faster with less light, not more. 16/8 is faster than 18/6,

Although GLR (11.5/1/11.5) may be better, as you only have one plant - GLR vs 16/8-18/6 Light Schedule!

All these people are correct. Plants need a sleep period to metabolize and rest. You'll get faster growth with a sleep period than with 24/0.

I use the gaslight schedule for 2 reasons: 1) to save on the electric bill and 2) the 1 hour in the middle of the night keeps them from flowering, but doesn't push them over the edge. When you DO switch to 12/12 by taking out the middle hour of light, they will flower more quickly.

You are more than fine bro, im a proffessional pilot and sometimes do math with my own rules.... Thanx god we have an onboard calculator... :p
Good luck bro :)

Pleased to meet you too sir :)
Im still learning and sometimes get nervous as there is too much to learn and not enough time.
Im new here,ive been growing since my first days of university, and honestly for the past years i did not dare to answer any questions in forums as i knew i dont know much.
Anyway hope i can help others not to repeat the same mistakes i did, and learn more.
And im happy to start to know great teachers and friends like you :)
Keep in touch
P J

The important concept is to add that one hour in the middle of the night time to interrupt the hormones that induce flowering. You can't let the plants sleep longer than 11 hours (5.5 hours at a time in Gaslight), or they WILL flower.

The system also saves you several hours electricity per day. Might not mean much on a small scale, but over time, it really reduces the electric bill.

Just recapping: set the timer to 12/12. Then toggle on 1 hour in the middle of the night, if your timer has more than one on-off cycle. This one hour can be on the same timer, or you can have a few CFLs on another timer to come on for JUST that one hour. You really don't need full-on lights to break the flowering schedule.

Back
Top Bottom