Any One Know Of A Caterpillar Repellent?

droppony

Outside My Plants Are 2 Weeks Into Bloom, And Im Geting Catapilers, Is There Any Kind Of Repelent I Can Use That Anyone Knows Of??? That Wont Hurt The Buds?

Re: Any One Know Of A Catapiler Repelent???

if you put a ring of vasoline around the base of the plants they won't be able to cross it. of course if they drop on the plants it won't help or if they come from plants touching them. it will only work if they climb up from the ground. plus if you need to hide your plants in a hurry they will be pre-lubed :cool:

some repellant sprays use capiscum its what makes hot peppers hot

try jerry bakers he give formulas for lots of old time stuff you can make
for your garden from common household things " garden secrets book etc"

Something called BT - Bacillus thuringiensis, is a natural agent that ruins caterpillars' days.

Check out Publications - Extension

This is what I got:

Safer Caterpillar Killer
True to its name, this product contains Bt bacteria that effectively eliminates budworms, tent caterpillars, hornworms and other leaf eating pests without harming beneficial insects. Great on trees, shrubs and vegetables.

I agree re. Pyrethrum...it should be quicker. It's made from a member of the chrysanthemum family, I think; very safe.

The BT, from what I read, starts to work soon, too, in that the caterpillars lose their appetite but are still alive for awhile before it takes full effect and they die.

I was sitting here trying to think of the name of insecticidal soap I've used in the past. It was in fact a "Safer" product, like your BT. I've also used Dr. Bronner's soap diluted with water to kill bugs, but I think I'd avoid that option on herbs. The last bottle of Dr. Bronner's I had was made with some hemp oil...so cool!

ive used that safer insecticidal soap befor. it worked great on mites i had last year outside, but had no effect what so ever on worms.

check gardens alive they havr BT good predator bugs safers type stuff and diatonmous earth crushed ancient seashells that get in under the bugs skin
and irritates &/or does them in there are also several kinds of bacillus you could try couple drops dish soap teaspoon neem oil and couple table spoons HOT chile powder mixed up in quart of water as a spray then wash it off at least a week before harvest to avoid mold

good sources of info on bug control:

gardens alive get the paper catalog its got troubleshooting pictures for both bug and nutrition problems

groworganic.com commercial organic agriculture supplier again the paper catalog has lots of info and references [ this year and last year they started listing LEDs in with their lighting ]

We have tried caterpillar killer and neem oil solutions and--despite folks' recommendations (has anyone actually tried this stuff on things they have later ingested???)--we have not been able to get the taste of the stuff off our produce....What am I missing here?...Thanks

Back
Top Bottom