Any way to measure other than a scale?

bhambud

Pardon the dumb newbie question, but I've searched for an answer without success.

What does a gram of pot look like? (Or a 1/4 or an oz?)

I know it probably varies some depending on the type of weed, its moisture content, etc., but is there any *very* general way to estimate if you don't have a scale and nobody has ever given you a bag and said "this is what an 1/8 looks like"? Would an oz of pot fill, say, fill up one of those paper containers in which they serve a small order of french fries at McDonalds?

I saw some reference to a graph paper method where, I'm guessing, you crumbled your pot and laid it out on 1/4" graph paper and that would give you a rough estimate. But it didn't go into any detail.

Anyway, I'm a bit embarassed in my "newbiness" -- but I had no where else to ask.:bigblush:

Maybe I just need to buy a scale?

Thanks!

There isn't really an accurate way to weight weed without a scale. You can't go by what it looks like cause some bud is fluffier, and some is real densely pressed. I've seen small amounts that look like an 1/8 weigh out to over a 1/4. The only real way is to get scale. They sell em at some gas stations around here. Since people do use postage scales, you can probably find on at the post office.

I swear my friend is like a human scale and can guess within .1g of the actual weight most of the time just by holding it in his hand. Its crazy! I can't do it nearly as well. There's really only two ways, weigh it or eyeball it.

There's just too much variety when comes to the size of buds. Looks can be VERY deceiving, just like the other folks said.

Your best bet is to get a scale. Check out your local headshop or grow store. E-Bay always has scales going for next to nothing. Hell, you can even pick up a simple scale at health food stores.

And RooRman: That's crazy!! I've only ever known one person lilke that and it boggles my mind. Wow....

I realized the other day that I spent almost $100 on my scale. That was over 3-4 years ago and it still works like the day I bought it. It also came with a 5 year warranty and will weigh up to 100g or 4oz. It is also a pocket scale and is very small and it is also switchable between G's and Oz's. I guess what I am saying is it is better to pay alot for a quality one now then have to keep rebuying $20 scales everytime they break.

You can find high-quality scales for $20 on E-bay ;)

Alright -- a scale it is. Thanks all.

If price is a problem you can get a mechanical pen scale that will way up to or more than 50gs for about 10 dollars, you can get a postal scale for about 5.

Here's a good/cheap way to learn how much a 1/8th or 1/4 or once weights. 1 pound of regular granulated sugar = 2 cups, so keep splitting that in half, and you'll find that 1/4 cup of sugar wieghs 2 ounces. NOW, there are 4 tabel spoons in a quarter cup of sugar. Again, keep splitting this in half, and you'll see that 1/2 of a tabel spoon of sugar weighs 1/4 ounce. NOW, make youself a cheap easy scale by ripping apart a coat hanger and balanceing that on a piece of thread. Tape a baggie to each end, put your pot in one baggy, and enough sugar in the other to balance it out again. Measure your sugar, and you'll know how much pot you have. Then you'll learn how much a 1/4 once weighs.
Vin

^^^ too much thinking for my single remaining braincell

I can eyeball it now.

vintner said:
Here's a good/cheap way to learn how much a 1/8th or 1/4 or once weights. 1 pound of regular granulated sugar = 2 cups, so keep splitting that in half, and you'll find that 1/4 cup of sugar wieghs 2 ounces. NOW, there are 4 tabel spoons in a quarter cup of sugar. Again, keep splitting this in half, and you'll see that 1/2 of a tabel spoon of sugar weighs 1/4 ounce. NOW, make youself a cheap easy scale by ripping apart a coat hanger and balanceing that on a piece of thread. Tape a baggie to each end, put your pot in one baggy, and enough sugar in the other to balance it out again. Measure your sugar, and you'll know how much pot you have. Then you'll learn how much a 1/4 once weighs.
Vin
Did you just come up with this idea or have you done it? Dude, your a stoner.

LOL, actually, a little of both. I work w/those small incriments of sugar a lot when making wine. Most recipes call for sugar in pounds and ounces, and you have to be able to convert it to cups.
Vin

Yup: Grow several different varieties of grapes. Also buy them every fall from Napa Valley. Also have small orchard and several different patches of berries. I make lots of different fruit, flower and grape wines. Our land came w/most of these, and I've slowly added to it.
My legal yearly limit is 200 gallons. I try REALLY HARD not to excede that LOL. I also have about a 400 bottel cellar which is in dire need of expantion. I give a lot of wine away; sometimes by the case for weddings and such. It's illegal to sell of course w/out a license, so I trade a lot of wine too. Mostly for organically raised meat of any type. Can you tell, I love to talk about wine. LOL
Vin

^^Wow, that's awesome!!

Wanna give me some wine-making tips?? I've really gotten into wine over the past year, and would love to try my hand at making some ;)

vintner said:
Yup: Grow several different varieties of grapes. Also buy them every fall from Napa Valley. Also have small orchard and several different patches of berries. I make lots of different fruit, flower and grape wines. Our land came w/most of these, and I've slowly added to it.
My legal yearly limit is 200 gallons. I try REALLY HARD not to excede that LOL. I also have about a 400 bottel cellar which is in dire need of expantion. I give a lot of wine away; sometimes by the case for weddings and such. It's illegal to sell of course w/out a license, so I trade a lot of wine too. Mostly for organically raised meat of any type. Can you tell, I love to talk about wine. LOL
Vin
Wow man, that sounds really cool. It must be chill to be able to barter for organic meats and stuff, especially with your own craft.

Vin

Then I assume you use the Brix method for growing MJ?

Back
Top Bottom