Anybody accidentally inhale alcohol fumes while making RSO?

pointer80

Hey everybody, I woke up sunday and was very hoarse and a little stuffed up after making some rso in my rice cooker saturday afternoon. I thought I took every precaution, I did it in my barn with the door open and a fan blowing above the rice cooker towards the open door. Has anybody else every had this issue? Thanks.

Hey everybody, I woke up sunday and was very hoarse and a little stuffed up after making some rso in my rice cooker saturday afternoon. I thought I took every precaution, I did it in my barn with the door open and a fan blowing above the rice cooker towards the open door. Has anybody else every had this issue? Thanks.

What type of alcohol? I had no problem with ethanol, but I've heard of problems with both methanol and isopropanol.

For awhile Vapor cocktails were all the rage, the buzz of alcohol without the calories. Lol

As the salty one mentioned I would think ethanol would not bother too badly. I suppose it's possible, more likely a coincidence, it is cold season.

For awhile Vapor cocktails were all the rage, the buzz of alcohol without the calories. Lol

As the salty one mentioned I would think ethanol would not bother too badly. I suppose it's possible, more likely a coincidence, it is cold season.
it was 151 proof everclear

A good place to look is the MSDS. The one from Fischer Scientific for ethanol contains the following:

EMERGENCY OVERVIEW
Appearance: colorless clear liquid. Flash Point: 16.6 deg C.
Warning! Causes severe eye irritation. Flammable liquid and vapor. Causes respiratory tract irritation. This substance has caused adverse reproductive and fetal effects in humans. May cause central nervous system depression. May cause liver, kidney and heart damage. Causes moderate skin irritation.
Target Organs: Kidneys, heart, central nervous system, liver.

Potential Health Effects
Eye:
Causes severe eye irritation. May cause painful sensitization to light. May cause chemical conjunctivitis and corneal damage.
Skin: Causes moderate skin irritation. May cause cyanosis of the extremities.
Ingestion: May cause gastrointestinal irritation with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. May cause systemic toxicity with acidosis. May cause central nervous system depression, characterized by excitement, followed by headache, dizziness, drowsiness, and nausea. Advanced stages may cause collapse, unconsciousness, coma and possible death due to respiratory failure.
Inhalation: Inhalation of high concentrations may cause central nervous system effects characterized by nausea, headache, dizziness, unconsciousness and coma. Causes respiratory tract irritation. May cause narcotic effects in high concentration. Vapors may cause dizziness or suffocation.
Chronic: May cause reproductive and fetal effects. Laboratory experiments have resulted in mutagenic effects. Animal studies have reported the development of tumors. Prolonged exposure may cause liver, kidney, and heart damage.

______________________________________________________​

I suggest alcohol recovery via a still for the bulk of the alcohol used.

Back
Top Bottom