Anybody grow other plants indoors?

McSmokin

Hey folks. I'm about a month into my first cannabis grow... To be honest, it's my first grow.... period. I mean, I haven't even tried to take care of a house plant before. Sad, but it is what it is. Something about watching a plant grow has become somewhat of a passion of mine. Every day that I'm about to walk in my tent, a child-like feeling of wonderment hits me like Christmas did when I was little. I'm sure it'll subside eventually, but I'm really digging it right now.

There's so much to learn about indoor cannabis cultivation, and even more for me to learn about plants in general. Which brings me to the whole reason for starting this thread. I want to learn more about plants. Especially plants that my friends and I can enjoy. Best way for my Neanderthal mind to learn: Hands on!

It's cold cold where I'm at in Colorado. I need to grow indoors. My questions are, is it okay to grow other species of plants in the same tent as my cannabis? If so, what kind of vegetables/flowering plants dig indoor grows that have the environment dialed in for cannabis? Any plants that I should stay away from?

:thanks:
Have a good weekend everyone,
Patrick

In my veg room I used to grow basil and a few other herbs when I had extra room. I never seem to have that extra room any more :(. Also I tried growing lettuce which didn't seem to do well for some reason. I expect almost any plant will work though as long as it doesn't get too tall. It's lovely to have fresh greens in winter. In the spring I sprout and start my garden plants in there- everything from flowers to herbs and tomatoes.
I don't know anything about how the switch to 12/12 (flowering) light cycle affects these other plants. Presumably it might start some/most species flowering- but I haven't crossed that bridge because I have separate veg and flower rooms.

Hey McSmokin! I don't think that the Christmas morning feeling ever leaves you. I almost always fit in a couple of marigolds. They repel insects. If you are growing in soil it is pretty easy to just put a few lettuce plants in the same pot. Their roots don't really get that big and they are done in about 30 days. Since you are in a tent and I presume that you have limited space look for what I call under story crops. Plants that can tolerate and even like shade. Just grab a seed catalog and start looking. Short season crops like spinach, radishes, bunching onions can give you a nice little salad garden when placed in small separate containers and tucked in wherever you have enough ligh hitting between you main crop. I am a big proponent of using up every bit of light that I am paying for. In nature plants are constantly competing for resources like light, water and space. In my old grow room I even made flower boxes out of scrap cedar and attached them to the walls around the room. I originally grew little autos in them. But they became little salad gardens around my room! Have fun and welcome to the plant kingdom! Best of luck in all you grow

I can't wait for my first indoor grow. We emptied the space under our stairs for a small grow room. I should have a solid 3 x 3 for flower and still have enough room for another tent for clones/seedlings. I really want perpetual.

Eventually I'll start a thread of the room as my first grow journal. I can't wait.

Sent from my MotoG3 using 420

Hey McSmokin! I don't think that the Christmas morning feeling ever leaves you. I almost always fit in a couple of marigolds. They repel insects. If you are growing in soil it is pretty easy to just put a few lettuce plants in the same pot. Their roots don't really get that big and they are done in about 30 days. Since you are in a tent and I presume that you have limited space look for what I call under story crops. Plants that can tolerate and even like shade. Just grab a seed catalog and start looking. Short season crops like spinach, radishes, bunching onions can give you a nice little salad garden when placed in small separate containers and tucked in wherever you have enough ligh hitting between you main crop. I am a big proponent of using up every bit of light that I am paying for. In nature plants are constantly competing for resources like light, water and space. In my old grow room I even made flower boxes out of scrap cedar and attached them to the walls around the room. I originally grew little autos in them. But they became little salad gardens around my room! Have fun and welcome to the plant kingdom! Best of luck in all you grow

The marigold idea sounds great. I didnt know that it was a bug repellant. How frickin' cool is that?

Im picturing a bed of lettice in the same pot as my ladies. Would it not also work in a nice course coco coir? It would be a great water-breaker-upper for when I feed, so there wouldnt be "craters" left over from the water pressure.

Gaffle, welcome to the forums. Please let me know when you start that grow journal so I can check it out. Maybe even help you out with the knowlege that my plants and the fine people on this forum have given me. Best of luck to you.

Het McSmokin! I have grown lettuce on rockwool slabs so I don't know why coconut fiber would be any different... should be fine. I have grown lettuce and weed together on bales of straw also. Have fun with it! I do encourage you to grow one plant with nothing but water in one of your first grows. that way you will have a base line plant. This will allow you to better understand the effects vs. benefits vs cost when you are making applications of nutrients.

Also as you get farther along I can give you some ideas of trap crops that you can use to lessen potential pest problems. Best of luck in all you grow!

Hey Gaffle! You are getting ready to start one of the worlds best hobbies...growing any kind of plant! Best of luck in all you grow!

Het McSmokin! I have grown lettuce on rockwool slabs so I don't know why coconut fiber would be any different... should be fine. I have grown lettuce and weed together on bales of straw also. Have fun with it! I do encourage you to grow one plant with nothing but water in one of your first grows. that way you will have a base line plant. This will allow you to better understand the effects vs. benefits vs cost when you are making applications of nutrients.

Also as you get farther along I can give you some ideas of trap crops that you can use to lessen potential pest problems. Best of luck in all you grow!

Hey Gaffle! You are getting ready to start one of the worlds best hobbies...growing any kind of plant! Best of luck in all you grow!

Weed on straw bales? That's a first time ive heard of that medium. Haha. Good input for the straight water idea for seeing whats worth feeding the plant. I will consider that for my next grow, as I dont even know what strain I have going now.

Dr. Fish, I appreciate you pointing that out. I suppose its about time I explore the different topics on this site, eh?

Back
Top Bottom