Anyone growing or familiar with CMH?

Thanks so much for the the response. I have read they are amazing. Llike I said I won this off of a giveaway. The company is SunSpectra. I am moving up from running florescent and 1 LED panel. So I know I'm gonna have to take in to account a few more things in my room like controlling heat and humidity. Which isnt as hard with fluorescents and LEDs as much. I do have a buddy I have have been watching with a 630 over autos. His last White Widow was stacked! I am beyond excited about this light and will post pics when it comes in tomorrow. Also, any recommendations on the best place to buy double ended CMH builds? It comes with a 4000k but I really need the 3200k, which I believe is the more full spectrum.

I can't get you a DE CMH but can get you a air cooled sunsystem , 3k bulb , ballest built into it for 575.00 now there are even conversion units you can buy, and turn any hid reflector into a CMH, google cmh conversion kit and you'll see how cheap it is

420-magazine-mobile1252941541.jpg
420-magazine-mobile577754423.jpg
thats a 315w CMH. By sunsystem and it's air cooled sealed hood you lose 3% off all spectrum thru glass which to have air cooled is def worth

I thought that your not supposed to air cool CMH?

You can you only lose 3% of UV and IR thru glass to have it air cooled I'll take the loss, but idk sunsystem made that light that came as a CMH, so I would assume they are ok I love it it's my favorite light

So how is the heat? Hard to control?

They really aren't that hot esp compared to any HID out today, but the air cooled version def helped out a lot thru hot days off summer and it came with 8" OVAL ports that's kinda annoying the oval and the air blows right above the bulb as the bulb shouldn't get air blasted right on it so i def recommend a cmh you can easily turn any reflector into one with a conversion kit

So how is the heat? Hard to control?
I would highly recommend the air cooled CMH. I have mine under control now, but wasn't an easy task. I would have been better off getting a cooled unit than the one I have. No doubt I love my light but they do get very warm. Now this is during the summer, I'm sure ill be fine in the winter with out as much cooling. During setup I cut it on with no fans on in my room. My temp gauge was at 110F in the room. Have since gotten a portable A/C and have 3 fans cycling fresh cool air.

Sorry everyone... I know I kinda disappeared for a while. Had so much going on but now that I'm caught up I wanted to update on my CMH. I am a few weeks away from harvest with my Lemon Garlic OG, Original Bubblegum, and Grizzly Purple Kush. I didnt do to many techniques with these girls as I was trying to learn to control the environment under this light before I got all fancy. I did top them. My thoughts on the DE 630w CMH are that I absolutely love it. The node stacking is amazing. You could definitely see the difference the light makes with your plants after a day. In flower I'm getting nice dense bud growth and amazing penetration. I have lots of lower buds that are fatties. If you are thinking of getting a CMH I recommend getting a cooled unit. As this was my first HID light I had not prepared myself in the beginning for the heat that thing puts out. I now have my room and grow environment under control. I am ready to have fun on this next grow with some autos. Will be doing a journal on them so please look out for it to start after this harvest! Thanks everyone for stopping by!! I will be happy to answer any questions so just ask. Here are a few pics...

Lemon Garlic OG
420-magazine-mobile141252617.jpg

420-magazine-mobile77530307.jpg

420-magazine-mobile642842401.jpg

Grizzly Purple Kush
420-magazine-mobile521179684.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1287164106.jpg

420-magazine-mobile302196527.jpg

Original Bubblegum
420-magazine-mobile1705194692.jpg

420-magazine-mobile903168520.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1837765235.jpg

Thanks so much for the the response. I have read they are amazing. Llike I said I won this off of a giveaway. The company is SunSpectra. I am moving up from running florescent and 1 LED panel. So I know I'm gonna have to take in to account a few more things in my room like controlling heat and humidity. Which isnt as hard with fluorescents and LEDs as much. I do have a buddy I have have been watching with a 630 over autos. His last White Widow was stacked! I am beyond excited about this light and will post pics when it comes in tomorrow. Also, any recommendations on the best place to buy double ended CMH builds? It comes with a 4000k but I really need the 3200k, which I believe is the more full spectrum.
Do you happen to have pics of said WWAF? Also CMH is the new shit for HIDs for sure. Compares with LED on the spectrum and has the penetration of a HPS.

Do you happen to have pics of said WWAF? Also CMH is the new shit for HIDs for sure. Compares with LED on the spectrum and has the penetration of a HPS.
I can't find his pictures of the white widow but I did find one of his Toofless Alien Auto. This thing was a beast but I still think the WW blew it away. I'm gonna keep looking see if I can find it.

420-magazine-mobile570333320.jpg

420-magazine-mobile50519740.jpg

An I love my CMH just took me time to learn how to control its environment.

So I recently won a DE-630watt CMH (Ceramic Metal Hilade). Just curious about what height my light should hang from top of plant.. Maybe what your thoughts are on CMH? Just some basic knowledge. I know this is a relatively new light and I am finding little info.
630s arent great, the horizontal reflectors are like, not super in my opinion. I run (6 if you include the pre veg tent) so 5 of them in a 8x8 spave. they're by far the best HID lights there is but I think the beauty is how close you can hang the vertical fixtures.
Thanks. So any CMH is as good as another? Or are you just saying that Philips is the main manufacturer?
The warnings about not working in the room while the bulbs are on- to avoid risk of radiation- sound like a bit of a deal breaker for me. On the other hand - I think what they're referring to is only if you break an bulb while it's on, which seems unlikely. Any thoughts on this?
phillips invented the technology. that's why they still produce the best bulbs. some people will argue maxpar are better but the Phillips the way I understand have te most UV. the ballasts themselves IMO the best ballasts are made by nanolux. but then I'm a fan of the 315W., I feel the 630W runs way hotter than a 600W hps and while you get a better spectrum the heat management gets a bit insane, friends of mine are running 7-8kw/h A/C just to maintain a working temp.

is how I Have them, have 4 LED bars in a cross around 5 315s in a dice config. but keep in mind I have less than 2m clearance from floor to ceiling so 630s wouldn't be feasible for me, plenty of friends back home use them using one 3100 and one 4200 bulb and yes, the extra 315W will give better results, if you can manage the heat but not as great as an improvement as the 315Ws and only really a good idea if you have a larger grow area, like, my friends use them in 20'x12' rooms,

as far as height, horizontal reflectors always have to be hung quite a bit higher as the mirroring effect intensifies the light (sort of the point but they don't last long cos of the heat) id start at maybe 24 and work my way closer, I keep mine at about 12-18

Anyone have any recommendations on a CMH brand/ bulbs?
my friends have this to say and they were commercial retailers for massive stores in my country.
nanolux make hands down the best ballasts. wireless controllable so no large load switch, random start so they don't all turn on at once (within 10s of each other) soft-start until all of them are light and warmed up, dimmable from 50-110% the controller monitors ballast current and temp at all times and they fully sealed commercial ballasts, the low freq square wave also means no RFI plus extended bulb life. bulb life compared to HPS. and a CRI of 92. compared to a HPS which has 65 and a MH has about 42 i believe. (closeness to sunlight)but don't believe anyone who says a 315W has the penetration of a HPS that's (imo) a load of crap. (
) is a great video about lighting myths and facts from someone not trying to sell you anything
phillips make the best globes. - but just. they invented them. so what ya expect.
they also reckon you get the same quality improvement and higher yields if you switch from HPS to CMH in the last 2 weeks only but I haven't tested it.

reflectors, I like the nanolux because they don't get hot they barely need to be replaced. just make sure you buy open hoods for CMH or you lose the benefit of the UV light
Thanks. So any CMH is as good as another? Or are you just saying that Philips is the main manufacturer?
The warnings about not working in the room while the bulbs are on- to avoid risk of radiation- sound like a bit of a deal breaker for me. On the other hand - I think what they're referring to is only if you break an bulb while it's on, which seems unlikely. Any thoughts on this?
errr, radition> yes of UV rays quite can damage the eyes, lead to skin cancer and also genetic mutations. but the radioactivity is something I've never heard of. they run hot, like, ALMOST as hot as a 600W HPS. but I also believe CMH + LED grows the best cannabis LED + Co2 grows the cheapest cannabis

Thanks for the info. CMH is something I’ve been thinking about since it first came out but haven’t done much about yet.

When it first appeared there were a lot of radiation warnings about the UV. From what I read later that was solved by making a double jacketed bulb. I think well before I got around to making that post, but there seemed to be a bit of a lag on getting reliable info about CMH for some reason. Still is.

I run a CMH315 in a 3x3 cabinet...needed some heat and great reviews on fat sticky buds. The 4k is the full spectrum bulb. I veg through stretch with the 4k, then swap in the 3k redder bulb to finish fattening up the flowers. I grow organic soil...just finished up my 4th grow...a flower shot from each. I highly recommend this light.
76A49E77-1CAF-45E1-846E-4A7D867C0712.jpeg
78802E0E-A0F5-4A25-8921-F85786C1C72E.jpeg
C9E9825F-2EAE-4B27-BFBF-926FAE7C88C6.jpeg
A1FAB4B8-5504-4CF9-B1AF-28A6BDAC52B8.jpeg

Thanks for the info. CMH is something I’ve been thinking about since it first came out but haven’t done much about yet.

When it first appeared there were a lot of radiation warnings about the UV. From what I read later that was solved by making a double jacketed bulb. I think well before I got around to making that post, but there seemed to be a bit of a lag on getting reliable info about CMH for some reason. Still is.
the double jacketed bulbs allowed for open fixture rated globes to be made. they run so hot the difference in outside and inside temps meant they needed sealed hoods, so double jacketing stops the bulbs cracking from temp stress and cuts down on the UV, but honestly, we should all be wearing sunglasses in a room with HID lighting and reflective surfaces. i don't though, so not judging here. oh also there's a huge difference with horizontal and vertical bulb orientation and how it affects penetration and spread, the horizontal gives better penetration and intensity but less even footprint and half the light is pointed the wrong way meaning the reflectors get hot, vertical bulbs you can hang super close to your plants. like, I think I might have 12-18 inches and if you germinate seeds under CMH they have no issues, I found taking them from a pre veg with a 400W MH the CMH in the flower room stressed them out for a couple days. they sort of just did nothing. but when I put a cmh in my pre veg tent not the same issue and they don't stretch like a MH that's hung a little to high - but for 315W they run so hot :( I also don't get the 4K bulb if you look at the spectrum chart you see the scaling is half that of the 3100K bulb meaning its actually putting out way less light energy than the 3K, I run 4x3K and a 4K in the middle just for some difference.

***EDIT***
so just something else to remember is that UV light is the main cause of genetic mutations in living organisms, this means the CMH lightsd will make your plants genetics shift faster than with other light sources, in theory.

Back
Top Bottom