Anyone have experience with Chinese driverless COBs?

Klompen

420 Member
Hello. I have been growing my first ever autoflower plants with these cheapo Chinese COB lights that I got on Aliexpress a couple years ago. They make a ton of heat, but they have grown the plants pretty well all things considered.

COB_Light015.JPG

COB_Light013.JPG

COB_Light020.JPG

COB_Light018.JPG

COB_Light021.JPG

They certainly do the job, but as I go to build my next chamber I find that I am going to have to build new lights anyway. My new setup will be individual stalls, so that I have 1-2 plants per stall. Each stall is about 28" deep by 16" wide. I want to basically bath the plants in light, similar to my current grow but better. I am really debating using a DIY LED setup of some kind or getting cheap low-wattage LED panels to serve as side-lights. I also am considering the newer generation of these types of COBs, because there are significant changes in the new ones(constant current driver, over-voltage/current protection, heat protection, and no soldering.

They look like this:

s-l1601.jpg

That particular one is the very newest and it runs at about 110Lumens/Watt versus the 90 LM/W my current ones do. Is it correct to assume though that these would run even more efficient if I dimmed them?

I could potentially run dimmed chips like this all around my plants, bathing them in ambient light.

I could also potentially surround my plants with something like this:

s-l1600.jpg

I could also use some combination of those, but at 20+ dollars each, getting the 16 of them I would need just for the side lights would be kind of brutal on the wallet.

Here is a fairly recent picture from my current grow to help explain what I am doing and what I want to do better...

Chamber_July_25_2020_1.JPG

Those are 5 autoflower plants that have had an increasing amount of light added to them over time. Right now there's something like 81W of side lights total(hard to see them all in the picture), and 450W of COB light overhead. I started with a mix of 2-1 blurple "Full Spectrum" and 4000K White, but the white COBs have burned out left and right. Its clear from looking at them that they weren't made in the same factor as each other so that's probably that.

Anyway, advice, guidance, polite opinions and all that would be appreciated. Thanks!

ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND?!?

Lol. Just kidding - but a few people bought such things (and more discussed them), IDK, last year or late the year before, and it did not seem to go well.

You, on the other hand, appear to have found some success. I'd be interested in reading what your yield statistics are, both in (dried, of course) grams of bud per unit of area (square foot or whatever you use) and grams per watt of "lighting electricity" used.

My only advice is to have some pre-tested backup lighting devices on hand, and to keep air moving across the ones you have in use. And to work on creating a flat, even canopy that is not of great thickness/depth. And, perhaps, to start a grow journal thread, because others will undoubtedly be interested.

By the way, welcome to 420Magazine. Here is a thread for new forum members:

Feel free to post an introduction (thread) here:

Forum guidelines/rules:

Member resources/help:

How to create a grow journal thread:

...and the section to post it in:

ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND?!?

Lol. Just kidding - but a few people bought such things (and more discussed them), IDK, last year or late the year before, and it did not seem to go well.

You, on the other hand, appear to have found some success. I'd be interested in reading what your yield statistics are, both in (dried, of course) grams of bud per unit of area (square foot or whatever you use) and grams per watt of "lighting electricity" used.

My only advice is to have some pre-tested backup lighting devices on hand, and to keep air moving across the ones you have in use. And to work on creating a flat, even canopy that is not of great thickness/depth. And, perhaps, to start a grow journal thread, because others will undoubtedly be interested.

Thanks for the welcome to the site! I picked these chips up about two years ago. They have a COB on them made by Epistar and the built-in driver and chip itself are made in China. The new ones are Bridgelux, and seem to feature more diodes. I actually feel very impressed by these for the money. It has taken some work to get the light distribution figured out, and I've never run autoflowers before so I wouldn't say its all gone perfect, but still, these have grown well so far. Other than the 3 white COBs in a row burning out, these have been reliable even. The blurple chips have not failed me yet, and they've been running 24/0 for over a month now. My tallest plant is 44 inches and the lights easily penetrate the canopy to the bottom. I also have a lot of side light. I think I might experiment by just swapping the current COBs for those new ones. The screw holes are the same so it will be an easy upgrade. I need to find a dimmer though.

I wish I could provide better stats. I grow for our personal medical use and we've been harvesting early samples. I have been keeping pictures and weights of all removed material though. So I should have some idea. The grow started with one and then two 90W LED flood lights(5000K) and just kept evolving. For a week or two I even had a 9 socket fixture running screw-in LED bulbs. Currently the grow is a bit over 500 actual watts, and basically no cooling of the chamber itself(fans on both lights though).

Back
Top Bottom