Anyone have success with clones?

Zeppelingirl1517

420 Member
I’ve tried cutting several clones without success. I’m doing clean cuts, then right into rapid rooters. I’ve attempted about 6-7 different cuts without success.

Tried in the dark, in the same light schedule as the others (18hrs). Tried using a rooting powder from the local hardware store. This last attempt it went straight to water for a few days, then when I saw hair like roots, I used Clonex rooting gel, then dipped in the rooting powder and into a soaked, PH corrected rapid rooter, from there I put it into its own net pot and DWC bucket set up. It doesn’t look well now after 5 days. Leaves are starting to brown on the tips. Using GH nutes at 50% of recommendation for seedlings in the water and Hydroguard. I’m having pretty good success with germinating seeds, but would really like to find some success with cloning too.

Any other tips for successful clones?

I’ve tried cutting several clones without success. I’m doing clean cuts, then right into rapid rooters. I’ve attempted about 6-7 different cuts without success.

Tried in the dark, in the same light schedule as the others (18hrs). Tried using a rooting powder from the local hardware store. This last attempt it went straight to water for a few days, then when I saw hair like roots, I used Clonex rooting gel, then dipped in the rooting powder and into a soaked, PH corrected rapid rooter, from there I put it into its own net pot and DWC bucket set up. It doesn’t look well now after 5 days. Leaves are starting to brown on the tips. Using GH nutes at 50% of recommendation for seedlings in the water and Hydroguard. I’m having pretty good success with germinating seeds, but would really like to find some success with cloning too.

Any other tips for successful clones?
I'm having the same problems too. I've followed videos perfectly to the T and still can't get a clone to root.

Also... when is too late to take a clone? I’ve just switched my plants over to 12hr light schedule and moved to the flowering nute schedule. I worry about taking cuttings when they are trying to flower.

You better take them ASAP if you already switched to 12/12 or else you will have to go through the reveg stage as well as the rooting stage and that's just a fiasco. I recently took clones at day 5 or something like that into 12/12 and it reeked havoc on about 50% of them. They are alive and growing but way, way behind the others.

I invite you to look at my journal. It starts off with cloning. I will update it this weekend to show how the clones are doing now.

I like rooting in my aero bucket. Are you changing the water frequently like daily if untreated? I've seen a lot of people use z7 with success. Are you using nutrients while rooting? Just use water and something to keep the water clean. I've used a few drops of bleach before with success but now I just do a daily water change and clean the bucket frequently. The best way I've done it was with z7 and plain water only. Have to keep the rez clean or slime will kill the clone. What's the water temps? If it's too warm that'll cause issue

Also the rapid rooter would probably get too wet sitting in dwc. Use hydroton, perlite, or my fav, cloning collars...
When you moved the cutting from water and pushed it into the rooter you probably messed with the delicate roots that just started.

I cut the clone
Scrape the shaft, nice angle cut at the base, goop on clonex or similar
Pop into Root Root cube in my humidity dome, cheap one
Mist the cube like 2x a day. Not soaking wet but always damp

Takes like 10 days to root.

After about then roots like thru the root Root cube

Chris's method will definitely work, I've done it, ...Also if you want to try an old school method put a humidifier in tote with lid cover it... make holes for rock-wool or rapid rooters to stick threw then make your cuttings and follow the same rooting regiment Chris stated and you will be good to go.
IMO its all about the humidity to get clones to root...
1566668539395.gif

I was super lazy and just took a short glass of tap water and put the cuts in it up the stem a bit and set it under a small curly light bulb desk lamp on 24/7. Out of 8 cuttings or so, 6 took. Done it with clonex gel, and with some rapid rooters later on. All seem to work. No dome or extra humidity or anything. The rapid rooters make moving it easy into netpots and gives good root spread. Some pics of the clones and then growing those out and the reveg in the later part of the journal in my sig.

The real cloner setups would probably be more efficient and better overall, but uber low tech works too.

18055_27687.jpg
OxyClone ftw...Got mine for $54 shipped off amazon. Upgraded the airstones and pump. I'm at 100% success rate.
Follow Chris's method above and keep everything surgical room sterile.

Once it's rooted transplant to medium of choice.

Hell I just use tap water and super weak nute sauce: per gallon I mix 2ml part A, 2ml part B, 2ml calmag , 5 ml GH Bio Root.

I clone under my regular full spectrum COB LED light. I Just move it WAY up to the ceiling to not overpower the clones lol.

These roots in the pic below are 9 days after taking the cuttings. They started to show around day 5.

IMG_20191005_101900149.jpg

I took clones from blooming plants outdoors out 9 i only lost 1. Keep rooting area moist not saturated. Mist the leaves twice a day not to much keep em moist. Using a seed starting florescent tube for light. My understanding is that the leaves absorb moisture to maintain the cutting till the roots get established to sustain the plant. Keeping this in mind many methods will work consistently.
I got it to work for me good luck to you!!
Happy 420!!!
:yahoo:

I use a DWC unit with airstones and dip the stems right in the water. I have about a 100 percent rate. This is similar to the bubble bucket cloning - but I already had this unit so I adapted it. Please see my journal on cloning below.

I too have tried cloning quite often with 50% success rate with many different strains. Its not an easy thing to master unless your choosing easy to clone strains . Tim and patience is all I can say

I've cloned every strain I've run. 12-15 at this point. I've cloned in dirt, and now I use aero cloners and cups of water. The biggest thing I see people fail at cloning with is too much light and or heat. Environment is the most important part of growing.

They don't need much, too much of either and they die off. They obviously have no roots so they can't drink except through the leaf surface.

More light requires more water, more heat requires more water.

Back
Top Bottom