Anyone using baking soda as pH up?

magsteria

I've been reading some articles about a good pH up alternative and I've come across some pretty interesting information.

Seems like there's a lot of talk going on about baking soda and a lot are saying that it can do more harm than good towards the plant.
On the other hand, soda ash / sodium carbonate can be a pretty good alternative for the pH up.

If this is true, then won't it be better if (i quote):

"Sodium bicarbonate is CHNaO3 while sodium carbonate is Na2CO3. Simply heat baking soda or sodium bicarbonate in a 200°F oven for about an hour. Carbon dioxide and water will be given off, leaving dry sodium carbonate. This is the soda ash"

This is sodium carbonate. If you have any questions about the use of it as ph+
for growing just ask me. I've been using it exclusively for about six years now. I would never waste my money buying overpriced ph+ from grow shops.
I run three 600w hid lights and one of these bottles lasts me two or three years.
I don't talk about it that much because people on forums sometimes have a habit of silly soapbox freakouts if they see people doing things out of the ordinary.

I've been using baking soda or powder (i get them confused) for several grows and haven't noticed an issue. FOllowing this thread to see if maybe I should change...

I'll probably try and use baking soda first since it's easier to get. ln any case there would be some negative effects, i'll try the heating thing.

This is sodium carbonate. If you have any questions about the use of it as ph+
for growing just ask me. I've been using it exclusively for about six years now. I would never waste my money buying overpriced ph+ from grow shops.
I run three 600w hid lights and one of these bottles lasts me two or three years.
I don't talk about it that much because people on forums sometimes have a habit of silly soapbox freakouts if they see people doing things out of the ordinary.

thats true. before, i was using vinegar as my ph down and a lot of people are complaining about how well my yield would be but i'm not really seeing any difference. lol i'll probably try the sodium bicarb first then try to heat it to get a sodium carb. if all else fail then i'll probably try to get a hold of something like that!

Ok well I live in the middle of nowhere and I can easily get the hot tub stuff. It's probably in most hardware stores.
Or just do as your first post suggests and heat it up.

I haven't used sodium bicarbonate
The usual complaint you'll hear parroted is that because you are adding sodium to your mix you are going to overdose the plants on salts.

Well I don't know about the use of baking soda -
but using sodium carbonate- when I mix up a batch of bottled nutrients (which are themselves salts of course)- it only takes a very small amount more of the it to adjust to where I want to be. A strong mix of 1100 ppm of nutes may take something 10 or 20 ppm of soda ash to adjust the ph.
So that 'toxic salts' argument is bunk.

Back
Top Bottom