Apogee recall

ClobberWatts

Don't know if 420 will get mad at me for posting this and didn't know where to post it, but just thought I should throw this out there for people if they needed to know. Just got this email from them yesterday.

Thank you for your recent purchase of an SQ-520 PAR sensor from Apogee Instruments. It has come to our attention that during the manufacturing process the batch that your sensor was built from was incorrectly calibrated. It appears that the SQ-520 sensors with the serial numbers listed below were calibrated to read 25% low. We apologize for this Quality Control oversight on our part. Apogee Instruments is committed to providing high quality products and has implemented additional QC steps to ensure this was a one-time error.

The affected SQ-520 serial numbers are:

We have put together to the following options to remedy the situation. Please reply by email or call tech support at 435-245-8012 with your preferred solution.

Option 1: Return for recalibration. Contact us and get a Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) number and a return shipping label. Drop itthe sensor off at a UPS drop-off. Upon receipt, Apogee Instruments will recalibrate the sensor and ship it back to you. Expected turnaround time once received is 3 days. (Preferred method)

Option 2: Get a replacement. Contact us and get an RMA# and request a replacement be sent out with a return shipping label. Upon customer receiving replacement, the recalled sensor will be returned to Apogee Instruments. Currently SQ-520 units are out of stock with a 2 week lead time. Also note if recalled sensor isn’t returned appropriate charges will be applied.

Option 3: Recalibrate the sensor yourself. Using a known reference light or the clear sky calculator (clearskycalculator.com), define a new offset and multiplier using Apogee Connect software. This method will most likely put you within ±3% of our in-house calibration. Contact Tech Support for more details if you think this method makes the most sense for your application.

Again we apologize for this mistake and look forward to working with you to make it right.

Thanks for your understanding,

Schuyler Smith

Technical Sales Support

schuyler.smith@apogeeinstruments.com
www.apogeeinstruments.com

721 W 1800 N Logan, UT 84321

Desk: 435.799.3062
Main: 435.792.4700 fax: 435.787.8268

I sent mine in. They sent it to the wrong address. Sent me a new one trusting that I would find the other one and ship it back to them, which I did. Good folk.

Huh. That's a bit of an undue burden for the customer, IMHO. Seems like the responsibility would be the sender's (or the delivery agent, if the package was actually properly addressed to begin with).

What would they have done if you'd been unable to retrieve the one that was accidentally delivered to someone else, lol? Demanded the one you actually received back?

Huh. That's a bit of an undue burden for the customer, IMHO. Seems like the responsibility would be the sender's (or the delivery agent, if the package was actually properly addressed to begin with).

What would they have done if you'd been unable to retrieve the one that was accidentally delivered to someone else, lol? Demanded the one you actually received back?

It was a malfunction on their part. They took the address off of a bank card, not the address it was shipped too or my new house that I requested they send it too.

I could have kept the other one once I got a hold of it and sent the landlord a shipping label. I just don't roll like that. No... they basically gave me both of them. No bigger deal than me wasting my time to respond to this. No big deal. Karma is cool sometimes. Got two drivers from a friend on here probably just cuz I was honest with appogee. All in the same time frame.

It was a malfunction on their part. They took the address off of a bank card, not the address it was shipped too or my new house that I requested they send it too.

I could have kept the other one once I got a hold of it and sent the landlord a shipping label. I just don't roll like that. No... they basically gave me both of them. No bigger deal than me wasting my time to respond to this. No big deal. Karma is cool sometimes. Got two drivers from a friend on here probably just cuz I was honest with appogee. All in the same time frame.

I very much agree. Karma is what you make it. To me it is the same as my consents i know whats right and wrong. Basically it is a do unto others thing. Good job on doing the right thing.

About 5 years ago. In the day and age of F*#K others and do whats best for you. I had a really interesting purchase. Only one place to find big spooled tip ups for ice fishing like I wanted. I ordered 6 of them from the guy. No internet just over the phone from a add for them I saw on the web. Funniest thing about it. The guy told me he would send a invoice with my order. I was to pay it after my order arrived. YES he was going to make them, ship them, and trust me to send the money when he was done. I of course paid it with out a thought.
In the end I had to ask the guy about doing this. He said he had only not been paid once. Said he figures its just the type of people who ordered from him. Maybe people just not wanting to piss off the fish gods but I still found it quite refreshing.

I just posted something the same on bucks thread. The guy sent me things that helped me. I still owe him and am in the tank, but he know's I'll get him back. I seriously have been ripped off by every person I have met for the last 15 years no matter how much I gave them. Talking a home, free food... everything. Now this might be coming back to me for that shit, but I don't care. If I can not give back to a brother/sister for helping me out in a time of need, I just do not wan toexist anymore. Like this one. My friend has MS. Doesn't get out much. Wife hooks up with other dudes. Blah. Anyways.. takes me out one night, I'm all dude.. I have nothing. Let's go, go out on the town. Took me a few weeks, but showed up with a chainsaw and chopped his trees down in the front lawn with woodchipper rented. It might take me a while, but I'll get you back. They had been talking about getting rid of them for a few years. Just showed up with my shit one day and did it. Fuck it. Here.. Some photos of it just to mess around. Those photos suck. They were seriously as high as the house next door. Like right now. Going to a friends to fix their new laptop. Well after I get a few more things on my room done

. I'll give you 50 bucks blah. Whatever. I'll buy dinner, fix your shit and hang out.

I could have kept the other one once I got a hold of it and sent the landlord a shipping label.

I have no problem with acting like a decent human being (and encourage the practice).

I just got the impression (possibly false) that YOU were required to go track down the one that the company had, because of its own error, sent to the wrong destination.

What I'd expect in such a situation would be for the company to apologize, send the product to the correct address, and then to attempt to track down and retrieve its mis-sent product. In the meantime, if I happened to locate and possess that wrongly delivered package, I would, of course, offer to ship it to the company (at their expense - as it was their screw-up, and because my having to cover such a thing would constitute a burden (I'd have to eat light or something because of it).

Whether others would act in the same way in such a situation or not is obviously up to them. But I would not be patting the company on its virtual back for going ahead and sending you a product while they were still dealing with the retrieval or loss of the one that they had sent to the wrong address; if a customer buys a product - or has in-warranty service performed on one that they have already bought - then the burden of responsibility is on the company to provide that product (/ repaired product / replacement product), and to do so in a timely manner.

In other words, they'd just be following the law and the implied contract that they entered into when they accepted payment in the first place. If we as a species get to the point where an entity deserves special consideration and/or kudos for merely doing their job... then we have reached a terrible state of existence, indeed.

I suppose there might be a (LAZY) waitress or two in the audience who disagrees with me, there, but such is life ;) .

No. I wasn't required. I offered it. I tend to go in the gray area of the law since so much of what the law interperupts as illegal is legal already. 90% of all laws passed by a bunch of men/women in black are illegal in themselves according to the constitution. I just go off what is in the constitution and what I feel is in my heart. Other than that... crapshoot. A law enforcement agent can follow you on the road. Doesn't matter how much you follow the law. At some point out of fatigue for existence. You will cross that yellow line and be pulled over. We are human. Which also gives us the choice to be better. Do what I can and everyone else can suck a dick.

They sent me a faulty product. They knew it. I could have kept the other one and blew them off. I also got a crappy cheese burger the other day. We all have faults. Big companies, gal bussing tables. I just am not the type to pick and choose who is the asshole for me having a bad day.

Take for example boycots on products if some particular group says so. K your left, I'm right.. Well go ahead and get pissed at the company, but what happens to the employee's of said company for people working there. It's just a job to live most the time. So who do you end up hurting.

They knew they messed up and tried to make up for it. What am I going to do? Punish all of the employee's that work for that company and start shit cuz they cost me money. Guess it's why I do not make a lot of money if I had that attitude, but I feel better at the end of the day.

No. I wasn't required. I offered it.

That's a different thing, then. Cool.

Take for example boycots on products

Craziest one I heard of in recent years was when a bunch of halfwits got mad at the French, so they bought a bunch of French wine and poured it into the storm sewers (which is almost certainly illegal :rolleyes: ). People acting like they were reenacting the Boston Tea Party or something, FFS. I guess they missed the part where those rebels hopped on board and dumped the tea into the harbor - as opposed to BUYING it, first.

Sort of defeats the point if someone decides to "punish" an entity... by purchasing more of its goods.

but what happens to the employee's of said company for people working there.

The ones that built and sold you a faulty product, lol? In a perfect world, it'd be called justice. Because, at best, they'd get no raises that year and be subtly(?) encouraged to either do the job that they're getting paid for or go find a different job so that someone else can.

It's just a job to live most the time.

Yeah, clock-punchers are a big part of the problem.

If/when someone doesn't do their job, and I support their act of f*cking up, I become part of the problem.

If I order a burger and it comes half-raw - and gives me hepatitis - and I remain silent, and even worse, continue to give my custom to the business... I become part of the problem.

Back
Top Bottom