Apollo or iPower?

My guess is that all/most of them are made in China. I just ordered the Apollo system from Amazon. It came defective, the seller [Low Baller] sent a replacement out the same day with a return sticker/ticker attachment in my email. So no shipping on my part.

The point is that the support is important, I don't know about the quality, in fact, it'll be hard to tell... either the light works or it doesn't.

I posted some pics in my grow journal [link in my signature] of the whole system and the problems I have with the cool tube.

Edit: Also a LOT of these kind of things are simple repackaged, so it could be that they are exactly the same, with different names on them. I found a link to buy these by the thousands straight from China. I don't think anyone actually make these in the US or any expensive country.

I just went thru the whole process of deciding what to go with. The setup from Amazon was nearly 1/2 the price I was getting from local shops [and we have plenty of local shops in NorCal]

Generally a 600 will cover 3'x3' whereas a 1000W will cover 4'x4' So for this price, I can get 2 600W complete setups, and be pretty close to the price they wanted locally for 1 system.

My grow journal has the actual pic from Amazon that shows the hangers, timer, etc... Most local shops where about $300 just for bulb/hood/ballast... no timer / hanger / 2nd bulb [bulbs are about $25 min alone]

Also, just so you know, the book by Ed Rosenthal says that bulbs are only good for about 8 months depending on use before they start losing light, I didn't know that and some bulbs are being sold for $200!

Yea my grow shop in my area are also taxing. I have no problem paying for quality though. I have a good lamp now but it's magnetic which I love. It's a all in MH/HPS. I just need another one but just a bigger wattage. I was already familiar with the bulb usage. I get the cheap bulbs for $20 & they work just as well. I switch them after every 2nd grow. I may go with amazon but I don't want to go threw the breakage & then my plants suffer for that time frame. That would suck. I may just purchase a top notch ballast & then get another cool tube from amazon. I think that settles for a in between price.

I would probably have gone with Mag over Digital if it weren't for this Amazon deal. I couldn't get the ballast alone for what I paid for the whole system.

As far as quality goes, I have to say I'm really biased on this. Shops will sell the same repackaged stuff at over-inflated prices all day long. I'm not saying you can't buy quality, I'm just saying it's so hard to tell which of these actually is better than the others.

One person might tell you he had a great one, another says it didn't work... All these shinny digital units do is transform the voltage, it's not all that complex. The cost of the unit itself is probably $40 of parts. It's made to look impressive and overpriced because so many people are no growing.

To compare, look at the cloning machines... Look at the one I built for 1/10 the cost of what they sell for... What would begin to justify a $300+ clone machine? They are profiting off a flood of people getting into growing...
IMG_014828.JPG

Note: If you look at my grow journal, you'd see that I built my own HO T5 light system from Walmart parts, Built my own clone closet for $15, built my own clone machine for $30, I use $0.65 grow bags, did all my own wiring and got my fans broken from 2nd hand store.

... I would build my own ballast if I knew how :D
Just saying, I'm a cheap SOB, I built most of my own house, cars, etc... it's not for everyone, it's just me...

Totally agree with you on everything. When I look at to by a ballast I go for the top names. The one im using now is hydrofarm. I checked out Lumatek, Advanced Nutrients, & PurGro. I rather those compoanies because I dont want my ballast to break down under a year of use. Or after 1-2 grows. I hear you on the cheap part though. i have alot of DIY stuff around the grow room. Best way to go. I like that aero cloner you have. I built a couple cloners my self. That works great. under $10 if you already have an air pump.

IMG_0789_1_.JPG
IMG_0790_1_.JPG
IMG_0791_1_.JPG
IMG_0788_1_.JPG

Amen on the DIY! I look at it this way, the $$ I save on the cloner, lights, etc.. I can use for other things that might increase the yield!

You should post up a Grow Journal, it's kinda fun and helps you keep track of your progress! I like posting to mine [click on my signature link to see it] because others can learn and also spot problems you might be having.

Amen on the DIY! I look at it this way, the $$ I save on the cloner, lights, etc.. I can use for other things that might increase the yield!

You should post up a Grow Journal, it's kinda fun and helps you keep track of your progress! I like posting to mine [click on my signature link to see it] because others can learn and also spot problems you might be having.

I have journals up and running now. My 2nd one is on hold. But my first journal is still active with a new update on it i did today. Ill check yours out now. And hopefully you can make your way to mine :thumb:

Just my input I picked up that 600w Apollo, (never head or the ipower) the MH bulb was defective but the dealer sent one out first class when I emailed him. Its kinda cheesy but for the price I wanted to try it out. The HPS is bright as hell!! It is quite noisy also that's another thing. When it clicks off at night ill just be chilling in my room and my ears will be ringing.. So im sure spending more cash for the more high quality stuff will be better in the end., I gotta start saving some cash!!!

-CA215 :peace:

Just my input I picked up that 600w Apollo, (never head or the ipower) the MH bulb was defective but the dealer sent one out first class when I emailed him. Its kinda cheesy but for the price I wanted to try it out. The HPS is bright as hell!! It is quite noisy also that's another thing. When it clicks off at night ill just be chilling in my room and my ears will be ringing.. So im sure spending more cash for the more high quality stuff will be better in the end., I gotta start saving some cash!!!

-CA215 :peace:
Glad to hear it actually works, not too happy to hear that it's that loud.
I'm still waiting to get one that works, my seller [low baller @ Amazon] has sent me two so far and they both don't work :(

Was your seller Low Baller @ Amazon? He seems to have the best prices.

I may have over exaggerated about how loud it is but it is still a noisy little f er. Yeah, Low_Baller. product is ok but the business was great, I always return to good business. Might even get another 600w and set it up side by side! They seem to put off a lot of heat though.
Ive never seen an aircooled set up in action.. any input on any hoods of that sort??

I may have over exaggerated about how loud it is but it is still a noisy little f er. Yeah, Low_Baller. product is ok but the business was great, I always return to good business. Might even get another 600w and set it up side by side! They seem to put off a lot of heat though.
Ive never seen an aircooled set up in action.. any input on any hoods of that sort??

The best hoods are the XXL Aircooled hoods. Thanks for the reps!!!

Really! Which one do you have? Im looking at the 4x 4' set up. maybe the 6 bulb? those things look so beastly and look like they put out some good light! Any recommendations on a specific model? my tent is 4'x4', but im sure I could fit it in there no prob. :Rasta:

Careful about the 4' lights fitting in ur grow room. I made a grow room in my shed and it won't fit a 4' light unless I go sideways. In other words, my shed grow room is 4x6 and the lights are probably a hair over 4'...

Because it's a tent, you might be able to make it fit thou...

I have to say that those kind of light have done well by me. If you look at my grow, you'll see that I have the 'Walmart' version over-driven [forcing them to double voltage] and it's producing pretty good results.

I'm kinda surprised we don't see more of these kinda lights.

Heard good things about lumatek... most growers in my parts use them... And would like to agree with some previous posters, a good customer support is very important since electric stuff at least for me tend to be a bit unlucky

Ill keep an eye on it. The only risk I can see if having the sides of the bracket touching the tent. A little sketchy if it gets really hot. Other than that I think I can get it to work! Ill give your journal a once over Karlj!

Back
Top Bottom