Approximate Cloning Attempt

To answer your question: a clone mother can almost be a clone herself. In fact, cuttings taken from a young mom sprout much faster than an older mom. I have taken a dozen cuts from a 'mom' that was only 15 inches tall - and they took right off. Mom's can be young.

~ Auggie ~

Ha ha. I did manage to type quite a few words there without answering your question... Next time I'll drink my coffee first before reading :) ( Instead I just fell right back asleep after writing that gibberish, lol).
Are you planning to grow with just one main room, and a separate cloning space, but not separate veg/flower rooms?

I really don't have a firm plan. This is just my first indoor grow. For the next grow I would love to clone some of my present plants because it would be great to not have any males.

My space is very limited. Whatever else I do has to be able to go into the same closet as my tent. As a personal grower I don't want to get too complicated anyway. So I don't ever see having a veg chamber. Maybe a clone/mother setup if that is practical?

First probably I will just set up a clone chamber. As late in flower as I can I will clone my favorites from the present grow. Then when the present grow is done, grow out all the clones.

The grow after that I don't want to plan, because too many things could change by then!

UPDATE: The plants I cloned outside all now have roots and were just transplanted. So now I have successfully cloned something, even if it is not cannabis!

And those plants outside got very little love. I just planted them and put them in a shady spot. They did the rest themselves!

Yep that sounds workable. It's all in the timing. Usually what I do is have extra clones and plants going and toss a few if I get overloaded. Once in awhile I get caught short and have some empty spaces in the flowering room. A tip- take good care of your mother plant. It matters :)

Thanks so much for the tips Weasel. Honestly keeping a mother seems like a step in the future. If I can grow some clones and use them for my next grow, by grow three I may have commercial seeds or maybe clones from my outdoor grow, which won't be ready til after Halloween.

It is always good to have experience with something, even when it is a failure!

My next attempt will also be approximate, but I will make sure to get a long enough cutting, and a razor. Still won't have a clone chamber- not sure what I will do! But it will be closer to a real professional cutting attempt.

Haha. Sometimes these things sound intimidating when you haven't had much exposure. I feel the same way about all sorts of shit I haven't tried yet. Give it a few tries and the process starts to feel pretty comfy. You'll have no trouble. Plus reps for getting creative

Cloning cannabis is NOT hard - if you know how to do it. You need more than a razor.

There are several tutorials here, and elsewhere on how to clone. It is a process. Think of it as a recipe. If you were to ask me how to bake a cake and if I tell you to mix some flour and sugar and baking soda and heat it in a oven - do you think you'd end up with a cake? Odds are it would end up an "approximate cake attempt". It is not enough information.

"How to clone" has already been figured out by lots of other people who are smarter than you and I. And they have been kind enough to share their knowledge and write it all down for you to look at and learn from. Instead of just trying different stuff, why don't you use the knowledge they provide?

Find a tutorial, and print it, and FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS to the letter. There are several that break it down, step by step. Look at the list of stuff you need, assemble it. Then look at step one, and do it. Then look at step two, and do it. Repeat. Cutting something an inch longer with a razor and throwing it in dirt is NOT cloning and you will not be successful. Then you will can tell all your friends that you tried cloning and it doesn't work, or its too hard.

Do it right - or don't bother.

~ Auggie ~

Getting ready for another attempt. I have an outdoor thing that is very very sativa with a million shoots. For fun I think I will try to do a couple of outdoor clones.

I have a razor blade, rooting powder, a 2 gallon pot with soil, a bamboo plant stake and a grocery bag. I'll cut a couple of clones, prep them, put them in soil in the same bucket, cut up the plant stakes and put em in a circle, pull the grocery bag over the stakes to make a little plant dome, water, and stick in a shady spot in the yard.

I saw a guy do it on you tube with other plants. This one plant has so many good shoots I think I will try it just for fun.

go for it man, i just tried my hand at cloning with good results i took three cuttings all of different sizes just to learn, sharp blade, and i didnt use any powder or gel, 8 days for my oldest and 4 for the other two and all doing great oldest was just planted in soil, used rockwool for the clones

oh and i learnt quickly domes are bad news even with cfls the rockwool just gets to hot

Back
Top Bottom