Aquaponics and fan leaf clipping

Cabinetguy05

Hello, newbie here. Happy new year! I have a few questions regarding cultivation with fish. It's going to be a novel, but I appreciate your sticking it out and any advice.

#1) There's tons of info regarding organic aquaponics for garden veggies that is virtually maintenance free, but i haven't seen much to do with MJ. Local shop has a nice setup with about 10 talapia and it's self acclimating. They use rainwater to top off every few days and don't monitor pH levels or do water changes and both fish and plant are healthy and it's open to element. The entire setup minus the fish and plants is $55 for IBC tank, media, and pump, and they have tons of hydro products they're not pushing. Can the same be achieved with MJ? Keep in mind I dont use additives or boosters in soil and though Im a seasoned cheif, I prefer lower dosages (Hight thc increases the anxiety I'm treating) I'm really just shooting for 3-400g quarterly. Food is my main objective. From what I've read, hydro is simplistically complicated, lol.

I have 2 large aquariums that are very similar in their maintenance as neither are heavily stocked, but I've learned over the years how to get them to the quality they're at. The low stock allows me some lazy room (also reduces ailments I think.) I have a small 10 gallon I recently started experimenting with. The tank was started with fresh tank water with healthy bacteria. So far I've killed 2 tomatoes, a basil, and 2 thyme, but have successfully kept the equivalent growing. They went from soil to water. The ones that survived are still in peat pods surrounded by clay pebbles. 1/2" of pebbles in bubbly watter and pods are soaked. I think the first ones drowned, but even though the pods are soaked, they have an excess amount of oxygen.

I'm aware that each type of plant is just as different as fish in regards to water temps, ph, nutes, etc. I'm convinced growing things is much like fishing.....technique and environment may vary.

#2) Is it possible to safely incorporate my larger tanks into food production without risking my pet fish? I'd prefer not to introduce chemicals or other destabilizing elements to their tanks.

#3) safest way of treating pests? Would treating plants require quarantine or is there a preventative barrier method? I use neem oil spray if garlic doesn't work on my container plants.

#4) would starting seeds or clips in rockwool and watering exclusively with tank water from the start reduce shock to the plants? Acclimate the plants to the fish rather the opposite.

#4) should I not risk my pets and just start from scratch with an outdoor system for food and fight the cycling and use pond stock and give a dwc a shot for herb?

#5) does clipping the fan leaves stunt growth? Lots of sprouts afterwards, but seems to affect pace of growth. They look how I want them to and have tops where I want, but they're too stubby. I finally said to hell with it and flipped them Christmas eve as they've been going since August. Soil issues put me back by at least a month and that may be my issue.

Thanks.

420-magazine-mobile1061983042.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1538647072.jpg

Back
Top Bottom