Aquaponics plus plant rev great white?

BrokrnEyes

So it looks like I'll be able to do some tabletop aqua Panik's in the very near future and something I would like to know is if it's possible to add the beneficial bacteria from plant revolution great white safely into the aquarium. I'll be getting the tank in a day or so and Will begin set up, I would imagine that if I wanted to use the bacteria I probably should do it during the initial cycle before adding fish? Has anyone done this before?

Im planning on using guppies, shrimp, dwarf crayfish and snails, all hardy and frisky little poop machines for my plants.

I just had a look at the MSDS. Let's see... Carcinogen, respiratory irritant, may cause damage to organs through prolonged or repeated exposure... One ingredient listed under Toxic Substances Control Act, two listed under chemicals known to cause cancer... Hazmat placarding and/or special transportation handling not required. Aha, it states...

Well, it's sort of ambiguous. First, it states "none known" under aquatic toxicity - then it states a self-assessment (I assume that means the company declared it, as opposed to an independent lab/etc. determining it, so this could be an optimistic rating) of "water hazard: Class 1, slightly hazardous to water; do not allow undiluted product to reach ground water, water course, or sewage system." So... IDK, lol.

This is just my opinion, but if a thing comes with warnings about releasing it into the water system, I wouldn't. Especially if your marine tank is only 500 gallons or less in capacity. It might be fine - or it might be like when you're four years old and keep getting your hind end beat on for climbing on top of the television (because it's the only way to get onto the shelf above it, which is the only way to take three running steps and be able to jump across to the shelf on the other wall, obviously ;) ), then goes into another room, so you immediately start to climb up the front of it yet again, then your mother comes running to see what you just broke when she hears a big <CRASH!>... and discovers you pinned under the thing with only your forearms keeping it off your chest (err... or was that just me, lol?). And by that, I mean that if you deviate from recommendations and there IS a problem, well, you have only yourself to blame.

Hmmm, i'm only using a 20 gal, like I said it's a nano aquaponics project but given this also has both advertised soil and hydroponic application the only reason for the warning would be to cover themselves.

I can see the respiratory warning because this shit is ultra fine powder (I hold my breath whenever I open the container). I guess the real question would be how are the fish in another life in the tank would be able to filter it through their gills. maybe I should split the difference and treat the roots before putting the plant in the system... too bad the site doesn't have a dedicated aquaponics forum... guess I need to keep looking.

I just noticed your user name and your signature text. My vision is much better than yours - 20/120 in my good eye, lol - and it still manages to frustrate me, especially after I broke my glasses earlier this year and have been flying blind err... sorry, doing without. Props to you for not letting your issue stop you from growing cannabis, living life, et cetera!

What you could do is to set up a simple aquarium with a few fish, then start adding the substance that you're unsure about. Either see how long the fish live at the dosages you're planning on using - or, if you are impatient, start at that dosage and keep raising it every day or three until you start finding your fish floating upside down. Then, being aware that not everything that kills you does so right away, lol, consider backing the levels down a lot from the terminal dosage.

No, this forum doesn't have a dedicated aquaponics forum. That's sad, yes. But... realistically, that just means that there aren't enough members doing it - and discussing it - to warrant the creation of a new sub-forum at this time. You can help on that account by sticking around. Encourage others to try the method. It does, in theory, seem like the way to grow. As resources continue to dwindle - to be used up and/or thoughtlessly destroyed - methods that manage to become self-sustaining, to conserve and/or recycle resources, et cetera will become more and more important. And... If we're ever able to leave the gravity-well to any real degree, we will require some method of food production that does NOT depend on hauling everything up from the planet over and over and... over again. For settlements and even for long-term spacecraft, a layer of water can be an important shield between us and cosmic rays. Might as well fill it with aquatic life, lol, and use the "waste" products from that life to help grow our food.

To be honest, this method isn't for me. I've been known to screw things up badly - and, therefore, prefer setups where that might only mean killing one plant instead of an entire crop plus a bunch of fish (et cetera). But I am still interested in reading about it. So I hope you will decide to stick around.

I just noticed your user name and your signature text. My vision is much better than yours - 20/120 in my good eye, lol - and it still manages to frustrate me, especially after I broke my glasses earlier this year and have been flying blind err... sorry, doing without. Props to you for not letting your issue stop you from growing cannabis, living life, et cetera!

What you could do is to set up a simple aquarium with a few fish, then start adding the substance that you're unsure about. Either see how long the fish live at the dosages you're planning on using - or, if you are impatient, start at that dosage and keep raising it every day or three until you start finding your fish floating upside down. Then, being aware that not everything that kills you does so right away, lol, consider backing the levels down a lot from the terminal dosage.

No, this forum doesn't have a dedicated aquaponics forum. That's sad, yes. But... realistically, that just means that there aren't enough members doing it - and discussing it - to warrant the creation of a new sub-forum at this time. You can help on that account by sticking around. Encourage others to try the method. It does, in theory, seem like the way to grow. As resources continue to dwindle - to be used up and/or thoughtlessly destroyed - methods that manage to become self-sustaining, to conserve and/or recycle resources, et cetera will become more and more important. And... If we're ever able to leave the gravity-well to any real degree, we will require some method of food production that does NOT depend on hauling everything up from the planet over and over and... over again. For settlements and even for long-term spacecraft, a layer of water can be an important shield between us and cosmic rays. Might as well fill it with aquatic life, lol, and use the "waste" products from that life to help grow our food.

To be honest, this method isn't for me. I've been known to screw things up badly - and, therefore, prefer setups where that might only mean killing one plant instead of an entire crop plus a bunch of fish (et cetera). But I am still interested in reading about it. So I hope you will decide to stick around.

Yeah my right eyr's got it bad (that's not to say that the left eye doesn't have its own baggage), my right lenses had to removed due to cataracts developing in both (eye surgeries, maybe one of these days I'll post the full story) but long story short I call my right eye my t-Rex eye... without my glasses vision in that right eye is based on movement. Dr. Grant was right, although it's a bit for you think that the T Rex was this big blind mofo running around ancient earth... Successfully! At least until the meteor showed up...

From everything I've read and watched on YouTube aquaponics is actually far easier than most give it credit for. In fact if you've ever put a plant near a open source of water then you were doing aquaponics. It's the initial setup I believe that intimidates most people but once the bacterial culture is established and going strong it can be practically self sustaining or at the very least cost far less than hydro fertilizers... not to mention Uncle Sam isn't eyeballing everyone who goes into a fish store suspiciously...

But yeah that's a very good idea, I could probably get A national aquarium and stick one or two fish in there up to test it out.

it's a bit for you think that the T Rex was this big blind mofo running around ancient earth… Successfully! At least until the meteor showed up…

I suppose when you're large enough that you don't have to walk around little objects like trees, lol, it makes a difference. When I walk into things, I usually just end up falling down. I bet old T. Rex wouldn't have done well as a cliff-top species, though...

It's the initial setup I believe that intimidates most people but once the bacterial culture is established

With me, it's the fact that I like to feed my plants directly instead of feeding something else and depending it to crap out nutrients that are in a form the plant can use. I've nothing against using the so-called "organic" nutrients, they're just not for me. If I see evidence of other life in the root zone, I'll happily dose it with something like H₂O₂ until it's deader than last Christmas. The last time I encountered bat shit, lol, I ended up with histoplasmosis. Of course, I was in a cave instead of a grow room...

It just seems like a method like this, when I'm added to the equation, is a recipe for disaster. SMALL ecosystems are much easier to screw up - and much less likely to recover from same - in my opinion. Maybe if I was less of a screwup :rolleyes3 .

not to mention Uncle Sam isn't eyeballing everyone who goes into a fish store suspiciously.

Haven't you heard? This is 21st century USA - Uncle Sam is eyeballing everyone. You name it, there's a federal database for it. <~TS~ WAVES AT THE CAMERAS WITH ONLY ONE FINGER ON EACH HAND> After all, you never know when a group of potential scapegoats and victims I mean Bad People will come in handy when a distraction is needed, but not such a large one that a new war is the best choice.

Back
Top Bottom